Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@StealthP3D I think @Trevor B is talking about Early Access Program and you're talking about Enhanced Autopilot. Don't you love these acronyms?

Oh, you're right, I've made the same argument Trevor is making (for many people the Early Access Program has little or no value). Others like being on the bleeding edge of increased functionality.

I have no idea where you are getting your numbers but they aren't the numbers any of us on this thread are discussing and I don't think they reflect the announcements Tesla made recently about the drop in pricing for these features.

From Tesla.com.

Yes, it was $8,000 for people that bought EAP ($5,000) + FW ($3,000). Now, it's $5,000 (AP = $2,000 + FSD = $3,000). The specific scenario I was describing is people that purchased EAP can now upgrade to FSD for $2,000 according to Elon's more recent tweets.

False. It is $8,000 now for AP+FSD with a new car, and up to $11,000 if you buy both afterward.

The special pricing you mentioned is *only* for existing owners who haven’t already bought EAP or FSD.

In other words Tesla seems to be throwing a bone to people that bought EAP for $5,000 but not passing that along to those who already pre-paid for FSD based on Tesla's prior statements that it would cost $4,000 if we didn't fork over the money for it at purchase time.

Which is still true for new buyers. For existing buyers they’re giving a major discount on the upgrade which I understand makes the people who pre-ordered FSD feel like they should’ve waited. They’re the only group who has any reason to feel unhappy about this, but not because they could go out and buy a new car with it for less today - they can’t.
I have no idea how many people bought FSD before it provided anything, but I assume it’s a very small number. Tesla is throwing them a bone in the Early Access Program offer, and presumably putting them at the front of the line for the HW3 upgrade. Maybe that’s not good enough to appease them? I don’t know.

But they never delivered FSD. Worse, they got me to fork over money for vaporware by telling me it would save me money to do so. Now they're offering it for $2,000. I'm not aware of any other product going through a similar circumstance in which the customers that pre-paid weren't refunded the difference.

If they had delivered FSD before the price drop, I wouldn't be posting...but that isn't how this worked.

But again, it isn’t cheaper for new buyers. They just created a weird situation where existing owners have a special offer, and the reason for that seems clear enough - those people assumed they’s be able to get EAP at any point. Now that EAP is gone, the only way to get those features is with FSD. So they made FSD as cheap as EAP was so that those owners don’t feel like the option was taken away from them. This is a lot more people than those who bought FSD, so I think it was the right trade-off. If they want to do something else for early FSD buyers (whether a partial refund or something else), that seems like a worthwhile thing to consider. They’re clearly positioning the Early Access Program as that, but maybe there’s something more that’s needed. But again, it is important to remember that they still got FSD at the same or lower price than anyone who buys a new Tesla today.

Just looking for interpretation of the announcements....

Previous 2019 owner's with EAP get FSD for free because.....They are upset that Tesla lowered price so soon after their purchase???

Previous 2018 owner's with EAP get FSD for $2K because....They are upset that Tesla lowered price so soon after their purchase but it was too long ago (3 months) to give it for free?

Are previous 2018 vs previous 2019 owner's really different at all?

Just need to hear some other opinions to help justify the different treatment. What is different about the two previous owner types?

Previous 2019 owner's with EAP get FSD for free because.....They are upset that Tesla lowered price so soon after their purchase???

Previous 2018 owner's with EAP get FSD for $2K because....They are upset that Tesla lowered price so soon after their purchase but it was too long ago (3 months) to give it for free?

Just need to hear some other opinions to help justify the different treatment. What is different about the two previous owner types?

2018 customers got an additional $3750 from Uncle Sam (myself included). January 1 to March 1 customers did not and yet paid full boat for autopilot features.

That was known WELL in advance though... I thought Tesla dropped prices by $2K in the beginning of the year to help counter the reduced rebate, no?

I have no opinion on the matter, just saying that’s a financial difference between late 2018 and early 2019 deliveries.

I’m fine with what I paid for my car and the reduction in FSD pricing to $2k which I’ll probably sign up for.

Reactions: TrumpetTitan

Looks like some sort of 90 day price protection for 2019 owners to me.

I think we start seeing a weak spot of Tesla direct sales.

I was asked a 3 to 5k markup over MSRP for a first year model of other car in different places. A year later i got it for 1.5k below the invoice. People who bought first, did not care.

Tesla does the same, except now that the info is public, people who already bought, would revolt. Every car dealer will eventually cave up to 10% off the asking price (give or take), it's just how long you are willing to wait for him/her to come around.

I think I said it before that i expected AP prices to come down eventually, especially to existing owners. There's just way big chunk of its functionality that is pretty common for other cars, while it is also all around labeled beta and feels flaky (TACC is more unstable IMO than AdaptiveCC in my other non-Tesla car).

Eventually it is an expense for them to support and regress-test two functionality types in the software, so i'd say at some point they will basically drop it on everyone for free just to get rid of non-eap side of things to support. Just give it time. I don't know how long, but eventually with FSD it would be 3 versions to handle (standard, EAP, and EAP+FSD), but mark my word, they'll just drop the standard at some point. Maybe even will give you money back to move ahead (if you are still under warranty then).

More accurately SOME had the opportunity for 3750 more or the potential. Not all.
The loss of tax credit is completely made up by the sharp reduction in price, and then some (at least for the Performance models). My P3+ was $76,500 before tax and fees. The same config is now $64,200 before tax and fees. Even consider the $5k PUP refund, that's still a difference of $7,300. I don't think it's coincidental - Tesla is preparing to make up the loss of the entire $7500 tax credit.

Sure, I'm a little sour about the EPA/FSD situation, but it is what it is. I've agreed to pay a certain price for a certain product. Best course is to just live my life and not let it bother me.

Thanks for the link.... yeah that sums up my exact issue with this here:

electrek said:
The difference is, usually early adopters have the benefit of using the product before everyone else does. But now, for owners who purchased Full Self-Driving before delivery, but still have never used the system at all (because it hasn’t been enabled), they are being left out of a price drop of a product they haven’t even used, simply because they took Tesla at their word that they would benefit from ordering it earlier rather than later.

So this is not equivalent to a price drop on a product that is already in the marketplace – like recently happened with the S/X/3.

I asked the lead service technician a few days ago when I was at the tesla service center for something else this specific question:

Me - " I hear that people who purchase Full self driving option get the new Hardware version 3 computer. How hard is that to swap, exactly?"

Tesla lead service center technician (NOT advisor, the head Technician) - " Yes, thats correct about the new computer swap for people who have full self driving. We are not sure when that will happen, but are told that it will be free for those who have that option. The computer actually sits behind "here" (pointed to bottom of glove compartment area). Its not too bad to swap out. Considering time to get to it, remove / replace, put things back, and also program it.. update the firmware on it, I would say its a 1/2 day job."

So, there is someone beside elon saying that ( a person who would be directly doing it, and being in charge of other people doing it, who had no reason to lie to me about how long it would take).

Of course, he could be lying to me (I doubt it though, given how the conversation was going, we had a very cordial conversation about other things), and I am just some random guy on the internet. I believe him though on both things (that he was told it would be free for people with FSD and the time to swap).

Its also possible for things to change... for example, I am still not sure I will get the new hardware if I buy FSD when its 2k. I am convinced that those who pre bought it will, but not sure that people who buy NOW at the lower price will. I also believe that swap would be "eventually" as in next year sometime, not "soon".
The technicians have heard what we have heard. It's just more of the "say it enough and people will believe it" from Tesla. Unfortunately everything your tech said is just an explanation of an ordinary ECU swap. They know how long an ECU swap takes (I do, too, since they keep having to replace mine). The tech I've worked with has even let me see all the connections and the ECU and other stuff on the inside as he has worked on it (mobile tech).

This is not confirmed on Tesla's website or from Elon. Some people have said that Tesla reps told them this. Tesla reps are clueless. I would not assume this is real until Tesla publicly says this.

Online customer service confirmed to me today that 2019 buyers with EAP will be upgraded to FSD for free

EDEBA766-C076-4207-94F5-8225262C5830.png

This is not confirmed on Tesla's website or from Elon. Some people have said that Tesla reps told them this. Tesla reps are clueless. I would not assume this is real until Tesla publicly says this.

Funny Tesla reps told me things in writing and they retracted after delivery. I have emails and screen captures of texts, Tesla seems to think what is in writing is optional. We'll see how that ends up soon....

Last edited:
My prediction on what Tesla will offer once the dust settles:

No EAP: $2k AP + $3k FSD = $5k
EAP: Upgrade to FSD
EAP+FSD: Early Access Program AND $3k refund

If this happens, everyone will be happy again.
fify, just my option. EAP+FSD original purchasers should be rewarded not just refunded.
2018 customers got an additional $3750 from Uncle Sam (myself included). January 1 to March 1 customers did not and yet paid full boat for autopilot features.
The cars have also dropped in price since then, 2k in march and more in Feb, also a tax credit isnt the same as money off your car's purchase price because
  1. you have to qualify,
  2. it's not immediate,
  3. it does not save you on tax, interest, or insurance.
2018 buyers actually paid more for their cars tax credit included than 2019 buyers, yet tesla wants 2018 buyers with EAP to pay more. 2018 buyers with FSD it's even worse.

If you purchased at beginning of Feb then you won the tesla lottery. You paid less for the car, and get a free or discounted FSD offer.