Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking the same thing. What other cars are you leaning towards?

In the price range of the M3P, I don’t think anything is even close to it in terms of technology/performance unless you go up to $75K+...so I’d probably get a truck :eek:

im not trying to convince you, however this is normal for California folks to be very last min with vin assignment and delivery. I had actually tried to canceled my order then the next morning I had a VIN. but again, there is 11 days left and with you living in Cali and the factory being in cali its much easier to get the cars to you guys vs on another coast. if you were on the east coast like me, I would say if you dont have vin by now its unlikely to get the car before years end. unless the car is already in route. I say I would wait a little longer. but if not im sure you can fine something else. also check for demo cars as well as you can take delivery of those almost immediately in some cases.

Completely understand what you’re saying and I’m going to wait a bit as its nearing the finish line anyways. Just wish there was a *little* more clarity.

Reactions: Tholland
Wild world that we live in... car deliveries with Tesla getting tied by location, logistics, and quarterly financial reports...

With the legacy dealers, we were stuck with things like our BMW dealer's monthly allocation from the factory for specific builds months before delivery.

I'd appreciate some more transparency: just make it clear what the "matching" process looks like, that cars are not custom-built, etc., in a professional way that people won't worry so much.

Guess it's all a mess. Hopeful for a delivery to toast to the new year, but it's slipped so much at this point...

I much prefer the old way of doing orders - place the order for an available production slot, then track the sucker through the whole process until the end. Minimal guessing, games, and BS.

At first, I was impressed that I could order a car from my web browser and it was super easy... but then it was lights out and we've been in the dark since. My SA told me that they'd annotate my account to get me a car in the beginning of Dec when I placed my order. Trusted them, sold my car as the date approached, oops... still waiting.

Sigh, I've gone this far, so might as well keep going - I really want to try one of these things. But that said, Tesla really needs to up their customer service game... these are not cheap cars. I'd roughly equate their pricing to being BMW-ish (Note: don't forget that BMW prices are negotiable so MSRP is significantly higher than reality). The Model 3/Ys are in the ballpark of a 3-series. The M3P is a bit less then a M3, maybe closer to M2. The S is around the 7-series in pricing. Yet, the customer service isn't in the same league.

I really want Tesla to succeed, but they really need to step up their customer service game.

Yeah, Tesla's "modernization" of the ordering process is pretty neat.

When I ordered my last car about 20 years ago, the VIN and exact delivery date were assigned within hours and the website was immediately updated at every stage of production: In queue, frame, paint, interior, drivetrain, etc. all the way to QC and shipping with real-time GPS coordinates shown right on the website throughout the shipping process. It was excessively logical and informative.

Tesla's zero F's given approach is definitely much sleeker. I kinda like it. It reminds me how far we've evolved over the last few decades.

I did. A little after that post I was told the truck with my car has been stationary for a “while.” Just outside (about an hour) of Houston. He speculated that the driver may have been maxed out on his time, and was resting. *Mark/Mark*
I was told they expected the truck to arrive today, and that it was possible I may even be able to take delivery today, depending on the truck’s arrival time. If not today, definitely tomorrow. I was promised a call back some time today to let me know what was going on.
*Mark/Mark* - I was literally at the *Mark location of typing this when Tesla called me. I was told that the truck has not moved and they don’t know what is going on with it. That hopefully it will deliver overnight or early in the morning, and if so, I should expect to take delivery tomorrow. So we shall see. Fingers crossed!

SC called and told me the truck was delayed so they needed an extra day to have it arrive and then they can wash it and check it all over to make sure it’s all good and give it a charge.

Hope that’s the truth and it’s not a cover up job for an issue with the car.

I’ve had somewhat of a similar experience.

White on White.
Ordered 10/17
VIN 12/7
Madisonville, LA

I heard from my SA on Wednesday 12/16 the car was in Birmingham, AL and that he was trying to get private carrier to deliver it to me on Friday 12/18 here in Madisonville, LA (about a 5 hour drive). Friday the 18th comes and crickets. I email my SA around 10AM for any update since I heard nothing. His quick response a few minutes later was that the car was supposed to be leaving “on the truck” and that he would check and get right back to me. I’ve heard nothing since that email.

At this point it’s whatever. I’ll get it when I get it. But I definitely feel there’s some sort of delay they aren’t being upfront about ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Marcavelli650
In the price range of the M3P, I don’t think anything is even close to it in terms of technology/performance unless you go up to $75K+...so I’d probably get a truck :eek:

Completely understand what you’re saying and I’m going to wait a bit as its nearing the finish line anyways. Just wish there was a *little* more clarity.
you are 100% correct on the need for clarity

will do my man. These guys had my delivery scheduled today and I received a text this morning saying they were going to set a new time and delivery it to my address in malibu?!

i thought delivery is supposed to happen at the delivery center?

ya me too! I told my SA I wanted to pick up at the delivery center. Did you have that conversation with yours? It probably doesn’t matter that much. I believe you still have an opportunity to reject if you need to.

And, my delivery estimate (still no VIN) which changed to 12/22-12/31 about a week ago after having gone back and forth with weeks and dates type estimates that targeted exactly the same time range either way, so why change it and completely confused. Changed again this AM to 12/21-12/31. Really. They waited until 12/21 to change the beginning of my range from 12/22 to 12/21. Wow that must be some seriously terrible logistics software. I know everyone is anxious and rightfully annoyed, especially when trying plan their lives around a significant asset/financial transaction. But this is like we need a youtube video comedy routine. I can’t believe nobody has trolled them yet with this stuff. If it is not your car or not negatively impacting your life because you can wait, it is pretty funny.

I can wait and it is ok but it is just laughably bad for a technology first, we are a platform, our software means the cars go up in value as we add features, company.

Hell I can order loads of low value random goods out of China and know its entire life cycle until it hits my doorstep. Pretty amazing EM would put up with a system that gives him so little visibility on hitting his quarterly numbers given he has literally billions of stock value riding on those numbers and the markets are merciless on this stuff (and we can all have a long rant on short term vs long term and whether public stock quarterly numbers should drive stocks and CEO decisions).

and back to waiting... hope you all get yours soon.