Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021/2022 Model X Owners Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the noise cancelling is in the audio area where it allows you to disable explicit audio. I've seen videos of it for model S where it is barely noticeable. I have a Plaid X on order, can someone please report back how it is?
I've activated this in my Model X Plaid, and do perceive a subtle difference when driving at highway speeds

I traded my 2019 MX P100D w 22" wheels / summer performance tires for my current 2022 MX Plaid w 22" wheels / summer performance tires. Comparitively speaking, the new Model X is WAY quieter than the previous model. There's just better sound dampening throughout. Having said that, I rented a 2021 refreshed Model X Long Range over the holidays (before taking delivery of my Plaid) and that car with the smaller 20" wheels and springier tires was quieter inside than my Plaid... but not by much.

Does anyone in a two-plate state have a no-drill, no-adhesive front license plate bracket/holder/mount recommendation that they've installed? It looks like Snapplate is planning to design one for the refresh with availability beginning in February for pre-orders, but other than that I haven't seen anything besides plate holders/mounts designed for the pre-fresh.

Does anyone in a two-plate state have a no-drill, no-adhesive front license plate bracket/holder/mount recommendation that they've installed? It looks like Snapplate is planning to design one for the refresh with availability beginning in February for pre-orders, but other than that I haven't seen anything besides plate holders/mounts designed for the pre-fresh.
I'm commando up front too. Never installed the front plate on my 2019 MX P100D either. I know it's a gamble. Hadn't heard of Snapplate, so thanks for the tip 👍🏼

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Has anybody here timed the charging speed on a Tesla Wall Connector with 60 amp breaker (48 amp output)? The Tesla website says 30 mph but that seems slow as hell compared to all other Tesla models, so I'm not sure if they're talking about the refresh or the old Model X...

I have a Model X LR on-order and have already installed the wall connector in my garage, I'm just curious as to what I should expect for home charging speed

Has anybody here timed the charging speed on a Tesla Wall Connector with 60 amp breaker (48 amp output)? The Tesla website says 30 mph but that seems slow as hell compared to all other Tesla models, so I'm not sure if they're talking about the refresh or the old Model X...

I have a Model X LR on-order and have already installed the wall connector in my garage, I'm just curious as to what I should expect for home charging speed
My guess is they are talking about the newer models. The Model X has the highest energy used per mile of any Tesla.

Last edited:
My guess is they are talking about the newer models. The max charge rate has moved down over the years.
Well that sucks. So if I wait until 9pm for the charger to kick on (in order to get the cheapest electricity rate) and then have to leave for work at 6:30am then I'll only be able to recharge 285 miles on a car that has 348 miles of range. It feels like their home charger, with maximum size wiring supplied, should be able to fully charge the car overnight, but I guess not...

Well that sucks. So if I wait until 9pm for the charger to kick on (in order to get the cheapest electricity rate) and then have to leave for work at 6:30am then I'll only be able to recharge 285 miles on a car that has 348 miles of range. It feels like their home charger, with maximum size wiring supplied, should be able to fully charge the car overnight, but I guess not...
Most folks suggest staying within a range of 10% to 80% state of charge with this time of battery. Even if you exceed that and regularly go 10% to 90%, that's still under 285 miles. If you expect to drive more than 285 miles per day in a vehicle the size of a Model X, you might need to consider an ICE vehicle.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
If your daily drive is near 250 miles see if there are Superchargers along your route where you pop into and top off. SoCal has a ton. Can't be much worse than topping off an ICE vehicle.

Reactions: croman

It will charge at 48 amps or about 10 to 11 Kw, we'll call it 10 for this exercise. If you arrive at home with 20% left, and you charge to 90% = 70% or 70 Kwh needed (these are wildly broad assumptions). So this means you will need about 7 hours to charge up. If you arrive with more than 20% it will take less time to fill up. You can adjust the numbers. If you really think you are to be going from 90% to less than 20% every day, you may have to look at other arrangements, it is going to be tight. Most folks use far less on a daily basis. Because the pack is roughly 100 kWh, it will take (very) roughly an hour per 10 kWh of refill capacity.

My suggestion is you might want to think in terms of % capacity and kilowatts, rather miles per hour of charging. You will find almost no correlation between tank rated miles, and real range, especially in SoCal. You can set the display to indicate % charge rather than mileage.

Reactions: bhzmark and jboy210
Don't get me wrong, I don't intend to drive more than 285 miles per day. I just want to minimize the number of days where I actually have to plug the car in. I can't park in the garage, but my charger is in the garage, so every time I want to charge I have to pull up in the driveway, open the garage door, walk over and plug in the car, close the garage door (over the charging cable), then repeat the same process in reverse in the morning when I'm trying to leave. It may not sound like much, but I'm quite busy between work and family, so every little minute counts for me in the mornings and evenings. I'll be cursing Tesla every morning when I'm already late running out the door and have to undergo this ritual. If my daily round trip is 35 miles then I need to charge it every 8 days, whereas if they gave me a faster onboard charger it'd be every 10 days...

Don't get me wrong, I don't intend to drive more than 285 miles per day. I just want to minimize the number of days where I actually have to plug the car in. I can't park in the garage, but my charger is in the garage, so every time I want to charge I have to pull up in the driveway, open the garage door, walk over and plug in the car, close the garage door (over the charging cable), then repeat the same process in reverse in the morning when I'm trying to leave. It may not sound like much, but I'm quite busy between work and family, so every little minute counts for me in the mornings and evenings. I'll be cursing Tesla every morning when I'm already late running out the door and have to undergo this ritual. If my daily round trip is 35 miles then I need to charge it every 8 days, whereas if they gave me a faster onboard charger it'd be every 10 days...
Any way to move the charger closer to the garage door? My neighbor backs up the driveway and slides the charging cable under the almost closed garage door. This lets him charge every night if he wants.

Also, if we are talking about trying to charge every 10 days instead of 8 there are weekends in between where you may be able to charge longer.

You should plug in your car at least daily. That is what is expected. The car actually is never off, so it drains the battery even when you are not using it. Could you move the wall connector outdoors, close to where you normally park, or install a second? I have two, one inside the garage (where wife parks) and one outside (where I park). They share the same 60 amp circuit.

Reactions: bhzmark and Gwgan
Any way to move the charger closer to the garage door? My neighbor backs up the driveway and slides the charging cable under the almost closed garage door. This lets him charge every night if he wants.

Also, if we are talking about trying to charge every 10 days instead of 8 there are weekends in between where you may be able to charge longer.
Good point, if the car will hold up to it even with passive charge loss due to sitting I might actually be able to get away with just charging it all weekend and not charging it on weekdays. I’d be curious if anybody else takes this approach, or if y’all plug yours in every night like charging your phone

You should plug in your car at least daily. That is what is expected. The car actually is never off, so it drains the battery even when you are not using it. Could you move the wall connector outdoors, close to where you normally park, or install a second? I have two, one inside the garage (where wife parks) and one outside (where I park). They share the same 60 amp circuit.
I actually intentionally installed it inside of the garage so as not to mess up the look of the front of the garage and its nice new stack stone…
5246423F-942E-4755-9B4D-2154C87BBAAA.jpeg

I actually intentionally installed it inside of the garage so as not to mess up the look of the front of the garage and its nice new stack stone…
My outside WC is around the corner on the adjacent wall. Not that I really cared about the appearance, but it was just easier to install there than on the front. If my X is not there and plugged in, it is not visible from the front at all.

I actually intentionally installed it inside of the garage so as not to mess up the look of the front of the garage and its nice new stack stone…View attachment 758708
If you can move the charger to inside the garage on the side with the house numbers you could probably charge the car in either parking spot, assuming you have a Tesla charger with a 24-foot cable.

If you can move the charger to inside the garage on the side with the house numbers you could probably charge the car in either parking spot, assuming you have a Tesla charger with a 24-foot cable.
That’s actually exactly where it is, and that’s the plan. Eventually we’ll have two Teslas in that driveway that can trade off on who gets the charger. The second one will be a Cybertruck, so the house may be an ancient ruin by the time we get to that point though…

Reactions: jboy210
That’s actually exactly where it is, and that’s the plan. Eventually we’ll have two Teslas in that driveway that can trade off on who gets the charger. The second one will be a Cybertruck, so the house may be an ancient ruin by the time we get to that point though…
Sounds good. This is what my neighbors do with their X and S.

Sounds good. This is what my neighbors do with their X and S.
The car is happiest when plugged in. I leave mine plugged in whenever its Parked (unless I am out and about hopping around doing errands).

To the question about charging “speed”, the Tesla wall charger in my garage charged my previous Model X (2019 P100D) at a consistent rate of 30MPH. Due to better efficiency / mileage of my new 2022 Model X Plaid the same wall charger charges the new X at a steady 35MPH.