Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021/2022 Model X Owners Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car is happiest when plugged in. I leave mine plugged in whenever its Parked (unless I am out and about hopping around doing errands).

To the question about charging “speed”, the Tesla wall charger in my garage charged my previous Model X (2019 P100D) at a consistent rate of 30MPH. Due to better efficiency / mileage of my new 2022 Model X Plaid the same wall charger charges the new X at a steady 35MPH.
Thanks for letting me know! Do you have a 60 amp line (48 amp output to car)? I don’t get why the Model 3 will charge at 44 mph (according to the Tesla website) but a car that’s three times the price is so much slower at charging…

The car is happiest when plugged in. I leave mine plugged in whenever its Parked (unless I am out and about hopping around doing errands).

To the question about charging “speed”, the Tesla wall charger in my garage charged my previous Model X (2019 P100D) at a consistent rate of 30MPH. Due to better efficiency / mileage of my new 2022 Model X Plaid the same wall charger charges the new X at a steady 35MPH.
The rate change may also be due to changes in the charging system itself. Munro has shown some difference in their teardown of the new Model S.

Thanks for letting me know! Do you have a 60 amp line (48 amp output to car)? I don’t get why the Model 3 will charge at 44 mph (according to the Tesla website) but a car that’s three times the price is so much slower at charging…
The bottom line is the X uses more energy to go the same distance than your 3 does. It is much heavier and has a lot more drag because of its bulk. So the same amount of energy does not get you as far. It is really no different than comparing the mpg of gas cars versus SUVs.

I do have full 60 with 48 out to car. The purchase of my old 2019 MX P100D coincided with a home remodel I was in the middle of, so I planned for the charger (at full power on a dedicated run) from the start.

Regarding charging speed, there are a variety of factors that come into play. Power supply from wall, size of battery pack, onboard charging hardware, software, etc. all factor into the speed we see. The Model X is definitely the pig of the Tesla pack (and I love my piggie 🐷) compared to the other three models, and I knew that when I took the leap from ICE to Tesla. The Model X (especially in Plaid form IMHO) is an outstanding car — there really is nothing else comparable on the market today. It’s worth every penny. Even Elon Musk recently tweeted that the new Model S and Model X Plaid are the best cars they’ve ever made. Having owned my Plaid for nearly a month, I’m a believer.

It charges even faster than before at Superchargers as well. The new Model X can now take the full output of the V3 Superchargers, which means it can peak at 250kwh now, vs ~150 I was able to achieve in my now traded 2019 P100D. It doesn’t stay at 250 long… it peaks there then slowly trails off to protect the battery. But MAN! It is gamechanging. When I used to drive my P100D down to Los Angeles from San Francisco, I would always make a point of stopping close to 15% at Kettleman City to charge for the next leg. My habit has become hitting the In-N-Out drivethru, picking up some food, then driving over to the original Kettleman City Supercharger to eat and watch a little Netflix while waiting for my X to charge. In the past, I’d be able to get through my meal and a 30 minute Netflix show before continuing on my way. Now, however, due to the better efficiency of my MX Plaid (and 250kwh Supercharger) the car is ready to go before *I* am! 15 - 20 minutes! It’s crazy, and has changed my behavior.

It is because the 3 gets much better mileage. It is because the model X is bigger and heavier. If you switch the tank gauge over to display energy instead of mileage, It will show you the rate in Kw. The readings will be the same. The whole thing will make much more sense.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Yeah but you have a bunch more Portillo's

Don't get me wrong, I love Chi-town. It's a food Mecca but In-N-Out is pretty special.

I'll get my fix next time I'm in Cali. That and taco truck burrito. Chicago has awesome Mexican from all regions but they do their truck tacos differently.

Best thing about traveling is tasting the culture.

;D

I spoke with my Tesla Service Advisor today and he claims that about a month (probably as part of the v11 software?) the remaining range displayed on the instrument cluster is no longer the simple EPA rated range, but dynamically adjusts based on ambient temperature, and recent driving/consumption rates, which means it will fluctuate much more than it used to, but will also (hopefully) be more accurate... Will require more experimentation and monitoring. :) YMMV, literally.

That's just plain wrong. The EPA requires that the rated range, which is based on the EPA test loop and the current battery capacity as estimated by the BMS be displayed.

If tesla removed this, and replaced it with a constantly changing "estimate", you'd have no way to measure battery degradation. If this turns out to actually be true, I will cancel my MX Plaid order.

Alternatively, I'd be fine with a display of actual kwh capacity at the current SOC. But removing all ways for me to see how many kwh are in the battery at any one time is a complete non starter. Without this, there is no way a consumer can determine when you hit 70% of original capacity for warranty purposes.

Has anyone hooked an Elm327 to the DLC yet and used SMT or TM-SPY?

Also, can anyone confirm that even though the energy graph is gone you can still see kwh of use since last charge and since beginning of drive?

I have another few questions for y'all, since I can't seem to find any of this out anywhere in my online research. This is specifically regarding the Refresh Model X:

1. Does it come with FM radio functionality?
  2. Does it support Sirius/XM via antenna (as opposed to just the streaming app)?
  3. Is it possible for me to control what video media is playing on the rear screen, from the front screen? I have a young child who will be strapped into his car seat and therefore cannot control the rear screen himself, but I'd like to be able to put Disney+, etc on for him without having to reach back there myself
  4. Can you program your garage door opener to a button in the car?

Reactions: Siraug
I have another few questions for y'all, since I can't seem to find any of this out anywhere in my online research. This is specifically regarding the Refresh Model X:

1. Does it come with FM radio functionality?
  2. Does it support Sirius/XM via antenna (as opposed to just the streaming app)?
  3. Is it possible for me to control what video media is playing on the rear screen, from the front screen? I have a young child who will be strapped into his car seat and therefore cannot control the rear screen himself, but I'd like to be able to put Disney+, etc on for him without having to reach back there myself
  4. Can you program your garage door opener to a button in the car?
1) Yes, FM radio.
2) Yes, Sirius/XM with a separate subscription.
3) I think, about the best you can do currently, is to put the car in drive, and before you drive off, reach back to the rear screen and start a video playing. At least that's the only thing I was able to get working.
4) And Yes, you can program the car to be able to open your garage door.

Does anyone know why the Plaid with 20” wheels has 255/45-20’s up front when the LR has 265’s? The winter wheel and tire set for the 20’s on the Tesla website has 265’s in the front, and the site says that the wheels are “compatible with Model X vehicles produced in 2021+”. The SC says this includes the Plaid.

As a testament to how quiet the refresh Model X is, I was stopped in the left turn lane at an intersection, waiting for the protected turn arrow to turn green. I didn't have the music on and could hear a faint sound of "Honk, honk, HONK, honk HONK" in the distance. I eventually realized it was the car right behind me getting impatient for me to make a left (unprotected) turn. The honking sounded like it was much farther away.

Most folks suggest staying within a range of 10% to 80% state of charge with this time of battery. Even if you exceed that and regularly go 10% to 90%, that's still under 285 miles. If you expect to drive more than 285 miles per day in a vehicle the size of a Model X, you might need to consider an ICE vehicle.
I'd never do that (consider a fossil) even if I had to drive 285 miles per day. The refreshing feeling of not sending out noxious emissions that'll kill people is enough for me.

I am on 2021.43.101.1 .. also missing ANC..
Apparently, 2021.43.101.1 is the latest firmware, as of Jan 2022. I noticed the ANC missing, so I put in a service ticket to try and get them to push a more recent firmware but was told 1) that 2021.43.101.1 is the most recent available for the 2022 refreshed X's; 2) only Tesla engineering department schedules vehicles for firmware; 3) Tesla service can only re-push a firmware if the firmware has been pushed and downloaded by the vehicle; and 4) that my only recourse is to patiently await the newest firmware by connecting to really strong wi-fi. It's disheartening that they pre-load the newest vehicles with outdated firmware and there is no way for a user to self-retrieve/get the latest version without waiting and wondering. I also have to play their super-frustrating FSD beta qualifying 99+ safety score game again, despite having gained FSD beta access on my 2017 Model X.