Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which wheels. I owned (up to last Saturday) a Raven X and just went with a friend to pick up his Y with the small wheels. I thought it was not harsh at all and quite surprised too. Cabin was also very quiet. But I wasn’t driving.
My comparison is relative to my 2017 X. The Y is very quiet. In terms of ride: in trying to get close to the X ride, I have the 19" wheels, and I even lowered the cold tire pressure from 42 down to 38 psi. It is still not as good as the X. I will be replacing the shocks/springs to get a softer ride.

Reactions: mswlogo
If radar truly was the worse idea ever I highly doubt other manufacturers wouldn’t be using it, and successfully… my ram 1500, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chrysler 300, and Ford F-350 all have/had radar with adaptive cruise and never once have I had an issue with any of them phantom breaking.. granted only the Jeep has active lane keep, but even it doesn’t have that issue..

Whatever the true reason is for removing radar was a poor excuse, and really should be reversed. If it’s a money thing I would GLADLY pay to retrofit the radar into my current model y and upcoming model x.
Base on your join date, you are new here and to Tesla. There is something you and everyone needs to burn deeply into their brains....

Elon is always the smartest person in the room. Further, his ideas are the best, no matter what anyone has done in the past. Tesla has reinvented the wheel so many times because of this it's not even funny. Granted, this has produced some genuinely genius innovations because they are always outside of the box. But the better way would be to incorporate things that others have done well and build on them. Shoulders of Giants and all that. But that is not the Elon/Tesla way.

This was brought to my attention with the removal of the rain sensor. The original MS had a dedicated Bosch rain sensor (the same one that is used by every manufacturer that I am aware of). Elon told the Vision team that since they had cameras looking through the windshield, that they could use that for the wipers and save $1/car. While that statement makes sense, the current models with rain sensing wipers have never worked as well as the original with the dedicated sensor.

Now it's happening with RADAR. Elon believes that since humans use only vision for driving, the car should be able to drive using only the same mechanism. While this also sounds correct, the reality is that it is not. The cameras cannot see as far as the human eye and they also suck at making determinations at long distances. It is my opinion that Tesla will never achieve FSD with only cameras at the current and near future capabilities of cameras and processing power. At some point in the future (10+ years), cameras and computing may be powerful enough for it to work. But I think Tesla will lose the lead in AP by going with Vision Only.

You can always cancel the order, save them the trip.
Really? Is it too much to ask to get a chance to inspect a 100K car before you agree to buy it? Is it too much to ask for people who have been waiting for such a long time to get more than 5 minutes? Is it too much to ask for Tesla to build the damn thing properly instead of intentionally passing on flaws to the customer and making them deal with it after the fact? No, the answer is no to all of these questions.

I never said I don't want the car. But I'm not going to blindly pay 100K for a hot mess.

Worth the wait 🔥 #TeslaModelX
No issues at delivery. Only issue found was cup holder tray below the back screen is stuck/broken but scheduled mobile service appointment. Apparently the part is on back order which means I have to wait a bit until they get the part but other than that the car is amazing!!
Good luck to everyone who has been patiently waiting!!

View attachment 783767
Man do these refreshes pop!! Nice pic, and hopefully you can write your review after driving it for a bit.

Reactions: sorka
for folks with EDD ranges and/or VINs, is anyone considering putting your order on hold for the new "possible" headlights potentially in June/July? just curious (i know headlights have been talked about a lot, but just gauging your guys thoughts out there)

Although my edd went to July again, as long as I get a 2022 vin, I'm taking it. the "potential" for the new headlights could be June/July of 2025 haha.

Touching accelerator never taught it anything. But over time it has improved. Both my Model X with FSD Beta ( which turns off Radar) and Model S Refresh+ with no radar seem to have very minimal braking. Mostly on lane merges. I do not count city driving. Only expressways is working and that fine by me. I also never use Nav on AutoPilot.
My 2018 the same with Beta. So much improved even over the past couple of months. Improvements happen even without getting an update, from what I experience. Highway lane merges are big hard arresting brakes though. Initiating changing of lanes/merging by braking is a nuisance that they haven't corrected yet. Just tapping on the 'gas' for a bit makes Beta/NOA change lanes way easier. Beta also still finds ways to stop hard in middles of intersections that are too closely spaced. But the overpass/shadow/big truck braking for me is substantially reduced. I don't think my issues I have today are 'lack of radar' based. Love the progress and it'll be excruciating to drive like grandma again after I get MXP.

Last edited:
Reactions: T3slafan2500
But after Tesla has made us wait for a year (more for some people), the fact that they won't give me more than 5 minutes to inspect the car on delivery day is absolute bullshit. She stated (several times) how fantastic their build quality is and that I don't need to inspect the car because they already have. Honestly I felt like I was her enemy, not a 100K customer. This entire experience has left a very sour taste in my mouth regarding Tesla. I wish I could say I was looking forward to delivery tomorrow but I'm really not anymore.
I didn't realize there was a time limit. I fully expect it to take me a good 2 to 3 hours to look everything over prior to accepting.

What I find very odd is that I'm in CA, I ordered before the refresh was announced (beginning of January 2021, so we're on month #14, almost 15), and others are getting similar/same configurations further from the factory first. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for anyone taking delivery of a new X. However, I really think Tesla should properly prioritize orders based on order date... This whole situation, as everyone here knows, is rather ridiculous!
I'm happy to see peeps get vins and love seeing pix of their new starships. But yes, it's starting to ache more than a little to see so many newer orders being fulfilled ahead of ours (1.19.21) I won't lie.

Reactions: retco and jbrowdy
I texted my SA and asked if Tesla’s policy had changed to permit configuration changes. He/she texted back and said that is not official Tesla policy and to wait for official Tesla announcements.
For whatever it’s worth I text messaged my SA yesterday asking to switch from 5 to 6 seat (add $6500) to a July 2021 order and they said no problem and immediately updated the order agreement reflecting the correct (July 2021) base price. So it might just depend on who you talk to over there…

for folks with EDD ranges and/or VINs, is anyone considering putting your order on hold for the new "possible" headlights potentially in June/July? just curious (i know headlights have been talked about a lot, but just gauging your guys thoughts out there)
No because you’ll wait until the new headlights are out and then there’ll be rumors about HW4.0 so you’ll think “I could take delivery with the matrix headlights now, but if I wait for a few MORE months then I’ll get that too…”

For whatever it’s worth I text messaged my SA yesterday asking to switch from 5 to 6 seat (add $6500) to a July 2021 order and they said no problem and immediately updated the order agreement reflecting the correct (July 2021) base price. So it might just depend on who you talk to over there…
Yikes. You‘d think this kind of policy would be disseminated to all employees and not on such an ad hoc random basis. Also, I asked if the 7 seater 2nd row had a stowable armrest and wireless charging. This is the reply I received: “I'm afraid I do not. We have not delivered a 7-seat version out of our location yet, and have not seen images of any 7-seaters online. We will have to wait and see!”

Reactions: Fleetwood75
Yikes. You‘d think this kind of policy would be disseminated to all employees and not on such an ad hoc random basis. Also, I asked if the 7 seater 2nd row had a stowable armrest and wireless charging. This is the reply I received: “I'm afraid I do not. We have not delivered a 7-seat version out of our location yet, and have not seen images of any 7-seaters online. We will have to wait and see!”
Yea, I imagine the 5s and 7s other than the sliding aspect of the 2nd row, would have the same lack of armrest and lack of wireless charging; and we’ve seen in pics here that the 5 does not have these 2 features.

Im still hoping we see some 7s start production next month after the q2 push is over. I have a June 2021 order but would be reassuring to see other 7 orders starting to be filled. I really do not want to change config to a 6 or something just to “potentially get it earlier”, esp since we’re really only 2-4 people often traveling, and without center armrest, having the middle seat there at least you can rest a pillow there or something. The 3rd row seats for me would really be just in case to maximize flexibility in number of people if ever needed.

I wonder though if anyone knows, in previous pre-refresh years, would they have to shut down certainly config lines for weeks at a time to produce other configs. Like as if they used to run 6 for a few weeks productions, then 7s, then 5s? I would think they would be able to produce all seating configs concurrently (depending on demand of course) as long as there was no parts shortage.