Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
135 miles later and safely home. Going to pull the tape tomorrow morning and then nothing but short trips around town until May and then I have to tape it again for the trip back to the bay area for my PPF.
Having the tape was a great idea. The Valley has tons of bugs in spring.

It was great to meet you! I hope the trip home was uneventful.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
rofl-gif-4.gif

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Based on my experience, legacy auto manufacturers have issues with supply. But I don't believe they have shipped cars missing parts.

Here I agree. This thread is currently 1531 pages of stress and complaints. Anyone happy with the car has moved on. I am sticking around to help answer questions and share an occasional 💩 post.
Legacy makers are shipping cars with missing non-critical parts. Things like USB ports, feature electronics, etc. See Ford to ship and sell Explorer SUVs with missing chips - The Verge. I think it is better to have a car with few missing non-critical features than not have the car.

Last edited:
So I ordered the MY first giving me EDD of July 2022 but after a test drive I felt the MX was more my speed. I made a second order choosing the MX with a EDD of January 2023. No problem I'll just take the MY drive it around for a couple of months and use it towards the MX when it comes but now the MY EDD has change to October -January 2023. In you guys opinion should I just take both cars and sell off the MY or just give my MY order to someone else and wait on the MX?

Reactions: DelPhonic1
So I ordered the MY first giving me EDD of July 2022 but after a test drive I felt the MX was more my speed. I made a second order choosing the MX with a EDD of January 2023. No problem I'll just take the MY drive it around for a couple of months and use it towards the MX when it comes but now the MY EDD has change to October -January 2023. In you guys opinion should I just take both cars and sell off the MY or just give my MY order to someone else and wait on the MX?
I'd recommend waiting until you get the MY. The EDD means almost nothing, and as you may have seen over 1500 pages of posts, those fluctuate wildly. Make a call once you get the first car on what to do with the second. Until then, back to refreshing account page furiously ;-)

Just got a call this morning from California and was told to expect delivery to Toronto, Canada May to June for my MXLR red and white 5 seater with 20s.🙏
Congratulations to you! At last. However, apparently they can ship to Toronto Canada but not Kansas City. 5seater, FSD

135 miles later and safely home. Going to pull the tape tomorrow morning and then nothing but short trips around town until May and then I have to tape it again for the trip back to the bay area for my PPF.
Adding to my list to take to delivery: isopropyl alcohol, wide painters tape. Maybe should include a little flask of ethanol infused fruit juice for after going through the long check list or maybe after writing the $$$$$$ check.

Having the tape was a great idea. The Valley has tons of bugs in spring.

It was great to meet you! I hope the trip home was uneventful.

I should have taken a picture of the tape before I ripped it off this morning. It was layered in millions of insects. I almost had a fox layered on it as well coming back on 140 instead of 152. A fox started to cross the road. I started braking. It then got right in the middle of my lane and kept darting back and fourth unable to decide which way to go (hint either would have fine), then it did the dumb thing of running directly away from the danger. I came with in inches of hitting it before it finally darted off to the left.

My fear is delay in getting wrapped. Rural dirt roads. Grain trucks and farm equipment scattering nuggets. Was told to get appointment to wrap as soon as I get a delivery date.

You're actually better off on rural roads than freeways if you make sure to stay far far behind anyone....with the exception of rear corner panel flare outs which could get damaged from the front tires throwing stuff out. I'll be running some XPEL through my Cricut some time this weekend for those.

Drove home last night. Long day. Left the office which is near Tesla around 9 pm to make sure traffic was light. Very smooth ride. Huge difference in suspension on bumps between comfort and sport. Very quiet. With some reports saying the refresh is louder, I was happy to experience a far quieter interior than my P85D. Also, those I talked to on the phone using Bluetooth said it sounded great. The S was awful...way worse than our 2009 Prius and even worse than our 2019 Prius with HD calling over Bluetooth. My sister said sounded as good as our 2019 Prius.

Power: I only stabbed the accelerator once while on "very low" and from about 65 mph. I'm still paranoid about destroying the half shafts. I was not prepared. The acceleration was literally harder from 65 mph than my P85DL was from a stop. It gave me an immediate mild headache that took about an hour to clear. Have not done a launch from stop yet. I'm toying with printing up lowering links as I had on my P85D even if it's just a half-inch which could still make a huge difference. Without a rear camber adjustment solution out currently, I want to resist any lowering if possible.

Alignment is at least good enough to not pull and wheel...er...yoke is centered. No funny vibrations. No warnings or faults. I did have two very inconvenient problems. Cruise control is utterly busted. Nearly got rear-ended on 140 as the car decided to panic brake(not autopilot, just cruise control) for sometimes cars coming on the other side and sometimes for no reason at all. I've driven this highway for years in my S with TACC and never had a single phantom braking event. Tesla has utterly failed in this area. It's a disgrace. If it continues to do this when I have the latest software, I'll be filing an NHTSA. Auto high beams don't really work. The low beams never switched to low with oncoming drivers until those drivers flashed their high beams which is what would trigger the low beams. After 40 or 50 times of this, I finally put it on manual. I REALLY know where the headlight mode button is now :)

Efficiency was not as expected if the EPA numbers are to be believed. I averaged 296 wh / mile home. Now before anyone starts thinking that's a good number for an MXP with 20" wheels, consider that rated is 284 wh / mile. My lifetime average on my P85D was 305 with rated being 310, but my freeway average was lower and last night was perfect matching the best conditions I've ever had on my drive home. This exact route with temps in the mid 70s without AC the few times that I've kept it to just the speed limit and not 5 mph over, usually resulted in 260 to 270 wh / mile in my P85D which is better than rated by a very large margin. Those numbers are for previous attempts to get the best that I could. That wasn't the goal last night, but since I was trying to prevent frontal damage, I kept it slow which meant the speed limit, but the driving style and conditions (including no wind) were the same as those that resulted in wh / mile 40 to 50 lower than rated. Now this could all mean nothing since I had the entire front wrapped in painters tape. I'm hoping that increased drag a lot. The only other explanation that would have a fix would be alignment. If it isn't either of those, then Tesla used different EPA schedules to arrive at rated for the MXP than they did for my P85D.

I have another writeup coming shortly that details the additional cosmetic issues that I found right after delivery before the 100 mile / 24 hour cutoff.

Last edited: