Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's partly supply chain disruptions and partly Tesla's incompetence. Or let me say that the supply chain disruptions are revealing Tesla's incompetence/immaturity in manufacturing. As you noted, while lead times may be longer than usual, other companies are able to forecast deliveries much more accurately than Tesla. I do not see this getting fixed. These back end parts of the company are boring to Elon and so he will not spend time on them nor invest in them. A few years back (prior to COVID), I had a minor accident in our Model S (deer strike). At one point, the replacement hood sat at the Dallas Service Center for 3 weeks waiting for a shipping label to be printed.

Anyway, you need to get yourself into a position to be able to keep your car until you get your X. That means either keeping your existing car to trade in to Tesla, sell to Carmax, etc. or you can do what I did which is use the Care By Volvo program. They call it a subscription service but in reality it is a 24-month lease that includes insurance that can be cancelled after 5 months with no penalty. So this way I just keep paying month to month until Tesla delivers my car. No stress at all.

Tesla wants to maximize deliveries per quarter. So they tend to focus on the East Coast early in the quarter, Midwest in the middle of the quarter, and West Coast at the end of the quarter due to the various shipping delays. So it's possible you won't see your car until June. But of course, I don't even think Tesla knows when cars will be delivered so you could get a VIN tomorrow!

Finally, stop logging into your Tesla Account! :) Tesla will text you when a VIN is assigned. Until that happens, anything shown in your Tesla Account is worthless.
Thanks and that’s a good perspective.
By the way I did not get a text when a VIN was assigned to me. Someone texted me that I was kidding insurance info and I said I will add closer to delivery and that’s when he mentioned that I will get a delivery soon. I checked the app after that and saw a VIN assigned.

Wonder if Tesla X deliveries arrive before the 2023 Mercedes-Benz EQS – 7 Seater Luxury SUV

Carwow (SUV peek @6:05):

I know aesthetic is subjective... but so many of the design choices in this car just don't make sense.

I get the feeling they are forcing the "its the future" narrative without really knowing why they are making these design choices.

It reminds me of my nephew who has a The Matrix motion wallpaper on his computer and says hes into hacking.

Hmmm. I bought my MX used from a 3rd party dealership 2 years ago. Since then, my MX has received at no cost to me: a great backup camera view, turn signal video, sentry mode from the iPhone, Tidal with HiFi downloads which sound absolutely amazing and have made in car listening a destination, a subwoofer control, FSD Beta that drives the car, Netflix, app mobil service, a software fix via a software update from SC, plus tons of games that I could play but don't. I can't even remember all of the myriad updates in those 2 years. And all you remember is one thing that doesn't work as well now? Wow.
As long as you are aware that some of those things won't work on your Refresh X. Not to mention the cascading errors that are displayed when the backup camera comes up, rear restraint errors, car constantly rebooting, flashing lights, and honking the horn when supercharging. The list goes on. Bottom line is that the Refresh software is dramatically worse than the software that is running on pre-Refresh cars. That is my whole point. Tesla's QA in both hardware and software is going in the wrong direction. Stability should be primary, features second.

But if you're happy I'm happy.