Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so with the new date ranges that got pushed out this morning, I have a new conundrum to deal with.

I originally ordered a black Plaid. Somewhere along the way, I thought white would deliver quicker, so I changed it to white. I then got paranoid that if I made any more changes, it would push my date back, so it has stayed white ever since. But, along the way, I ordered a second one in black. I figured if they both deliver at the same time, I would just choose the one I want. I removed FSD on the white, but kept it on the black, in part to see if the black would get priority, even though I ordered much later.

So, I finally got a while VIN this week (holy cow, I still can't believe it). Date range is tight (one week), which gives me a tiny bit of confidence in it. And, along with everyone else, I got a range on the black one this morning. But, this one is less specific and there is no VIN. June 20 to sometime in July with no VIN. I am not 100% sure what color I want, but if I knew I wanted black, I'd be stuck!

Assuming I knew I really wanted black, do I pass on the sure thing (white, no FSD) and take a chance on the black (with FSD)?? The is real risk the black may not materialize AND, it may deliver during a time I could be out of town. On the other hand, I have to live with the color (unless I pay to wrap). The black is a lot more expensive (FSD at 12k and black upcharge). Some of that extra cost has value if you want FSD, but I am kinda ambivalent.

I had a few white MS's a while back and thought they looked sharp, but this time around, I went into this MX situation intending to do black.

What to do?? Take the risk or take the sure thing??

OK, so with the new date ranges that got pushed out this morning, I have a new conundrum to deal with.

I originally ordered a black Plaid. Somewhere along the way, I thought white would deliver quicker, so I changed it to white. I then got paranoid that if I made any more changes, it would push my date back, so it has stayed white ever since. But, along the way, I ordered a second one in black. I figured if they both deliver at the same time, I would just choose the one I want. I removed FSD on the white, but kept it on the black, in part to see if the black would get priority, even though I ordered much later.

So, I finally got a while VIN this week (holy cow, I still can't believe it). Date range is tight (one week), which gives me a tiny bit of confidence in it. And, along with everyone else, I got a range on the black one this morning. But, this one is less specific and there is no VIN. June 20 to sometime in July with no VIN. I am not 100% sure what color I want, but if I knew I wanted black, I'd be stuck!

Assuming I knew I really wanted black, do I pass on the sure thing (white, no FSD) and take a chance on the black (with FSD)?? The is real risk the black may not materialize AND, it may deliver during a time I could be out of town. On the other hand, I have to live with the color (unless I pay to wrap). The black is a lot more expensive (FSD at 12k and black upcharge). Some of that extra cost has value if you want FSD, but I am kinda ambivalent.

I had a few white MS's a while back and thought they looked sharp, but this time around, I went into this MX situation intending to do black.

Dang. You have endured more trials and tribulations on your journey to get your new starship than most people. It is clear the one you want. Is it worth waiting for? Only you can know that answer.
I had originally ordered white with a plan to wrap. Then I found out white isn't the best color to wrap because the white can show through. Changed to blue. I'm going to like that better, but honestly, the white grew on me.
No matter what, I want to see you get your car, and it would be cool if you were satisfied with it. After waiting so long, I'd hate to see you settle for something you would regret. (But with your luck, the uncertainty would cause a problem later..)

A lot of conflicting words. But as for me, I would take the sure thing white...

My dates were moved as well. Order date of July 2021. Model X Long range, black/black 20 inch. On Thursday morning it moved from July 2022 to Dec. 2022-Apr. 2023. Woke up this morning and it changed to Oct. 5- Dec. 14 2022. Like many of you- we are at least moving in the right direction! That is some weird psychology they are playing with us! I was ticked off that my order was delayed an additional 5-9 months. Now I’m happier it’s only delayed 3-5 months! I actually am happier! 😃

Since I’m paying cash for the car, maybe I should just take the cash and buy Tesla stock at the way discounted price of $663 and bet it doubles before my car arrives! I would then get my Tesla for free! It could happen! 😎

I got the VIN and EDD. But not sure if i have to complete the last step for payment because the final number reflects “to be free upgrade to 6-seater”. They are charging me $6.5k more although the rep said this 6.5k won’t show on the final invoice. So i guess i’ll wait for them to call me about the delivery along with the *right* final number.

I got the VIN and EDD. But not sure if i have to complete the last step for payment because the final number reflects “to be free upgrade to 6-seater”. They are charging me $6.5k more although the rep said this 6.5k won’t show on the final invoice. So i guess i’ll wait for them to call me about the delivery along with the *right* final number.
Congrats on the VIN! I also have a "price will be adjusted upon VIN assignment" clause on my account before it gets final. Definitely contact your SA to see if they can do that before you make any payment, hopefully the updated amount will be reflected on the MVPA and on your payment screen as well. I'm curious if they are able to resolve this promised price update fairly quickly, please keep us updated!

Yet another 7 seater data point. At least two months away, but I feel a lot better now than I felt waking up this morning. Looks like Tesla will eventually get to us all!

1653147151981.jpeg

Take the white one and keep it until the black one arrives. And then decide which one to sell (or don’t take the delivery of the black one if you are happy with the white one). That make more sense than rejecting the white one and something might happen to the black one later (delayed delivery, bad build, out of town during delivery, etc). Unless you are happy being a permanent member of this delivery thread, I really won’t pass the white one.

I am another one who went from delivering being cancelled an hour before the appointment to Dec-April23 delivery (I did reject the VIN after persistent delays). My problem with Tesla (more than its cars) is how contemptuous they are of their customers' time. This is reflective in the responsiveness, transparency and quality of their customer service. Such a major shift in EDD should have been followed by an email. When RIVIAN screwed up the pricing, they owned up and sent very effective communication to address the situation.
Right now my commitment to my MX order is defined by lack of another immediate option. Hopefully one of the other reserved options (BMW IX, Rivian, Lucid Air) will materialize sooner than MX EDD. I just want a reliable, high quality long range EV..
What is your EDD for the BMW iX?

Life is short. Take the sure thing and enjoy the heck out of it.

Sales Associate: essentially, a person hired to be the sacrificial front line interaction with customers. Usually has a little tidbit of information coming from head office, but otherwise as clueless as us as to what's really happening behind the scenes.
I thought SA stands for Service Advisor. But that is probably because my MXLR has been at the SC since April 29th....