Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would anyone be willing to share the contact name and phone number for "the call" that they have received? I think I'd like to proactively call them to volunteer for the 6-seat upgrade. I really need the car ASAP. No help from the 888 Fremont number or my SA here in NYC. Thank you very much. (Feel free to PM me, if you feel more comfortable.)
I called today spoke with a nice guy, he said you have to wait for the call. I ordered in July he said my call would “be a few weeks”. I really want the 6 seats that’s what I have now.

2014 called and they want their memes back. And 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020. The number of times people claim Tesla will clear its backlog or that the customer experience will shy future potential customers away or that quality issues are endemic and will cause losses in sales is beyond count. They are old and tiresome tropes, easily disregarded for those of us who have been around long enough.

I know a lot of people that love their Teslas (whether they have some specific quality issues) and I know even more people that will buy Teslas in the future. And I honestly haven't met anyone except on anonymous forums who rail about Tesla's customer service. And I know a lot of Tesla owners.

As a last side note, I do appreciate you inserted a "if Rivian could have made delivery I would have cancelled the Tesla that could not make delivery". I'm going to assume that was irony.
I have been a Tesla customer since 2012. In my opinion, customer service has changed a lot. You used to feel special any time you dealt with a service center. Now, it’s extremely hard to get through to a human and even harder to schedule service. That said, when you do have to interact with the local service center, they are always pleasant and professional.

I just think we are all feeling their growing pains. Personally, I believe there is room for immediate improvement when it comes to customer communication. Maybe launch a PR department. The problem is, it is probably impossible to quantify how much making customers happier than they currently are will increase their bottom line. In this particular pandemic world, they have decided that saying nothing is better than saying just about anything. Maybe it’s the right strategy on their part. But, as I have stated in a really old post, one could argue their silence is essentially an unfair business practice. It is conceivable that had they communicated about some of their issues over the last year, some customers may have chosen alternative vehicles. Instead, they kept our deposits and our attention.

I do also agree that the vehicle is amazing. And, despite their growing pains, to me, the company is still cool. I put a deposit on a Rivian R1S as a hedge. The Rivian is quite a bit cheaper. That said, if they were to deliver on the same day, I’d go with the MX Plaid, hands down.

Hey man it's easy to be dismissive.... have at it.

I have met 4 Tesla Model X owners here in Massachusetts and they all had fit and finish issues at delivery. One lost his car for 4 weeks, 2 lost their for 2 weeks and one guy refused to drive it off the lot until it was fixed. They were given a Uber credits instead of loaners.

Again, I'm just a customer. you have different expectations. I have expectations as a customer. I don't care about the Tesla stock price (even Elon says it's too high LOL), I don't care about Elon aside from I hope he is happy and healthy. I care about products I buy with my hard earned money.

I have bought a new Ford Explorer every three years since 2000. I never bought Ford Stock or cared about the price, couldn’t tell you who runs Ford and I don't care. I don't care about the UAW or if the cars are made in the US or Mexico. I bought my Ford Explorer's because of build quality, the reliability and comfort. My current 2017 has very comfortable heated and cooled front seats with massage, a killer Bose sound system for only $56K. I do not buy from my local Ford Dealer because their customer service is awful. I drive an extra 10 miles to a dealer that provides exceptional customer service. They earned my business.

In 2018 I decided to go all in with solar, home batteries and a BEV.
Tesla lowered the price of Solar to an affordable / competitive price and there was a 30% tax credit so I bought an 8.19kWh solar panel array with 2 Powerwall2s. It was installed in late 2019 and I began save for my Model X order down payment which I made in 2020. A few months earlier I would have a 2020 Model X and life would be fine. Buying a used Model X now is cost prohibitive since my current order is cheaper then a 2018 with 20k miles. It looks like I'm screwed until some time in Q1/2 when Tesla gets around to the 5 seater configuration.
Would be willing to tell me about your solar experience by PM?

Growing pangs. Ordered a Model X on 2/6/21, LR, Blue, 5 seater. Early on, I asked what the trade in value would be for my 90DMX, Tesla offered $54,000. The rep told me that I wouldn't have to turn it in before taking delivery because "we don't want you to be without a car." Talked it over with my financial planner and he suggested I go ahead and sell it if I could get a better price and share SO's car for a couple of months. With COVID, we weren't running around much, so why not. At the time, I was expecting delivery in April. I did shop around a little, found a better offer and sold the MX. Allowing for Elon Time, I figured I would get it around June. I made the decision to go ahead and sell, that's on me. I fault Elon for his overly optimistic declarations of when deliveries would start. We don't call it Elon Time for nothing.

Eight months later, the frustration is growing. What's taking so damned long? However, if you take a step back for more of drone's eye view, it's a little more palatable. Ford Motor Company operates 8 assembly plants in the U.S., a couple more in Mexico, 1-2 in Canada, didn't check the actual number for Canada or Mexico. Tesla has one. Fremont is the third largest assembly plant of any automaker in the U.S. in terms of floor space. Kia's in West Point, GA and Toyota's Georgetown, KY plant are the two larger ones.

Next, look at what's happening in auto sales. The chip shortage crap is just that, it ain't all that. Auto sales peaked in the U.S. in 2016 @ 18 million units. Ford alone delivered, 6.65 million vehicles in 2016, down to 4.2 million in 2020. This year total ICE sales are on track to hit 12 million units. Globally, Tesla will deliver ~900k vehicles. Globally, not just in North America, Tesla owns two vehicle production plants, Fremont and Shanghai. Berlin and Texas, the next two, will start production any day. In 2022, Tesla will deliver ~2 million vehicles from those four plants, eventually ramping up to 6 million in 2-3 years. Despite chip/parts shortages, vertically integrated Tesla will deliver 900k vehicles in 2021. Ford, VW, GM, all of them will not come close to maxing out capacity. PEOPLE HAVE STOPPED BUYING THEIR CARS. The Osborne Effect has taken hold (i.e. holding off a purchase now to await a better product coming soon).

What we have here is the next phase of the switch to EVs. We've gone through the Innovator and Early Adopter phase and are transitioning to Early Majority. Tesla is struggling to keep up with exploding demand. IMO, they were caught flat footed by demand for the Refresh S/X. Orders are far in excess of what they probably expected due to slowly declining sales for S/X in recent years. They didn't expect this. What was 100k orders annually that had fallen to 80k and they expected to go back to 100k or thereabouts with the Refresh. No way to know, but I bet their order book is much bigger than 100k. Look at the timelines for people ordering today. Order your S/X today and it will be in your driveway... next September.

Extremely frustrating for us Innovators and Early Adopters. Seems to be most people on this forum are in those categories. We were accustomed to 2-3 month waits. But not this. IOW, what we have here is the soon to be world's largest vehicle OEM struggling to ramp up production to meet exploding demand with us longtime customers/admirers caught up in the maelstrom when we think we shouldn't be.

Yeah, Tesla needs to communicate better, mystery does not help customer relations. Yeah, Tesla shouldn't keep its SA's in the dark as much as they do. Yeah, the time to tinker with assembly lines is before you announce a delivery timeline. Yeah, raising prices just 'cause you can (and to cover increased materials costs) looks arrogant and ugly.

But that's what happens. I'm pulling out a Zen text or something to see if I can meditate my way to a little peace of mind over this.
My vote: best post in as long as I can remember.

Thx for clarifying.

In 6 seat configuration, can adults sit comfortably in second and third row seats? assuming all the seats are occupied by adults.
Adults comfortable in the second row and a bit cramped in the back. However,with the six, you can put your legs in the middle. Also, with six, it's easier to put your feet under the seat in front of you.

My takeaways from this article...

First, I would love to see the source memo they are quoting from...

"for the first few months" Tesla will only produce the 6-seat configuration. This just sounds long. At least it is some positive confirmation we can't expect any 5 or 7-seaters this year. I wonder why though... higher profit margin? The ability to make more $ by dangling an earlier delivery in front of us? If that's true they are smart. The production line is still making other models at 100% output anyways. I highly doubt the 5-seater is more complex to make than the 6.

We expect to update timing in customer accounts to be more specific (i.e. date ranges such as “January XX to January XX") lol okay so January '22 to January '23?

'24?

The issue with the third row in the model x is the stupid cup holders in the middle of the seats.. I have had a 6 seater for 6 years now and you can stretch your legs up the middle when In the third row but in doing so your outer leg rests on the hard plastic of the cup holders and it just plain hurts.. I don’t think they did but I’d the cup holders were removed for the refresh I would be thrilled!

Whats this thing up there?View attachment 722398
I'm (happily) married to a Disney nut, so yeah ... I sang it in my head too.
Shoot, now I'm even more anxious for our first Disney Wish cruise in August!
My wife and I are both big Disney fans! We just went on the Disney Dream a few days ago as a kid free weekend getaway. We are also going on the Wish in August….bringing my 3 daughters for that one.

I wonder with the reach out for converting 5/7 seat orders to 6 seats if everyone who originally ordered a 6 seater is in the production queue and now they are reaching out to other buyers based on order date OR are they just going through the orders based on order date so a 5 seat order from March gets contacted to convert to 6 seater before an original 6 seat order from June gets in the production queue.

Growing pangs. Ordered a Model X on 2/6/21, LR, Blue, 5 seater. Early on, I asked what the trade in value would be for my 90DMX, Tesla offered $54,000. The rep told me that I wouldn't have to turn it in before taking delivery because "we don't want you to be without a car." Talked it over with my financial planner and he suggested I go ahead and sell it if I could get a better price and share SO's car for a couple of months. With COVID, we weren't running around much, so why not. At the time, I was expecting delivery in April. I did shop around a little, found a better offer and sold the MX. Allowing for Elon Time, I figured I would get it around June. I made the decision to go ahead and sell, that's on me. I fault Elon for his overly optimistic declarations of when deliveries would start. We don't call it Elon Time for nothing.

Eight months later, the frustration is growing. What's taking so damned long? However, if you take a step back for more of drone's eye view, it's a little more palatable. Ford Motor Company operates 8 assembly plants in the U.S., a couple more in Mexico, 1-2 in Canada, didn't check the actual number for Canada or Mexico. Tesla has one. Fremont is the third largest assembly plant of any automaker in the U.S. in terms of floor space. Kia's in West Point, GA and Toyota's Georgetown, KY plant are the two larger ones.

Next, look at what's happening in auto sales. The chip shortage crap is just that, it ain't all that. Auto sales peaked in the U.S. in 2016 @ 18 million units. Ford alone delivered, 6.65 million vehicles in 2016, down to 4.2 million in 2020. This year total ICE sales are on track to hit 12 million units. Globally, Tesla will deliver ~900k vehicles. Globally, not just in North America, Tesla owns two vehicle production plants, Fremont and Shanghai. Berlin and Texas, the next two, will start production any day. In 2022, Tesla will deliver ~2 million vehicles from those four plants, eventually ramping up to 6 million in 2-3 years. Despite chip/parts shortages, vertically integrated Tesla will deliver 900k vehicles in 2021. Ford, VW, GM, all of them will not come close to maxing out capacity. PEOPLE HAVE STOPPED BUYING THEIR CARS. The Osborne Effect has taken hold (i.e. holding off a purchase now to await a better product coming soon).

What we have here is the next phase of the switch to EVs. We've gone through the Innovator and Early Adopter phase and are transitioning to Early Majority. Tesla is struggling to keep up with exploding demand. IMO, they were caught flat footed by demand for the Refresh S/X. Orders are far in excess of what they probably expected due to slowly declining sales for S/X in recent years. They didn't expect this. What was 100k orders annually that had fallen to 80k and they expected to go back to 100k or thereabouts with the Refresh. No way to know, but I bet their order book is much bigger than 100k. Look at the timelines for people ordering today. Order your S/X today and it will be in your driveway... next September.

Extremely frustrating for us Innovators and Early Adopters. Seems to be most people on this forum are in those categories. We were accustomed to 2-3 month waits. But not this. IOW, what we have here is the soon to be world's largest vehicle OEM struggling to ramp up production to meet exploding demand with us longtime customers/admirers caught up in the maelstrom when we think we shouldn't be.

Yeah, Tesla needs to communicate better, mystery does not help customer relations. Yeah, Tesla shouldn't keep its SA's in the dark as much as they do. Yeah, the time to tinker with assembly lines is before you announce a delivery timeline. Yeah, raising prices just 'cause you can (and to cover increased materials costs) looks arrogant and ugly.

But that's what happens. I'm pulling out a Zen text or something to see if I can meditate my way to a little peace of mind over this.
Bingo.
Bingo bingo bingo.

I wonder with the reach out for converting 5/7 seat orders to 6 seats if everyone who originally ordered a 6 seater is in the production queue and now they are reaching out to other buyers based on order date OR are they just going through the orders based on order date so a 5 seat order from March gets contacted to convert to 6 seater before an original 6 seat order from June gets in the production queue.
I believe it's the later, they call the early orders to give them an opportunity to receive their cars sooner.

I finally got the call. Very perfunctory, same patter as everyone else. No new details. I took the deal behind door #1. I actually think it’s a better layout for us, and If we don’t get our car by the end of the year my wife will kill me. So $3k seems like a bargain and only slightly less than extortion.
Congratulations !!!

Reactions: cjthekid