Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if anyone who was promised by end of year for swapping to 6 seats is in touch with the Tesla rep who made that offer. Maybe it would be worth contacting them now and asking if anything has changed given 1) January EDD and 2) very, very few MX's are being shipped and delivered.

Not really. Most people buying a ~$100k car are not "super rich" and $5~10K is not negligible. You can see frequent discussions about getting a few more percent of discount in all Porsche/MB/BMW forums (even for Porsche 911s, MB G glass).
And do these discussions lead to a Porsche buyer getting a BMW instead? I am going to bet no. Same thing with a Merc-S class buyer. No way they are going to a 7 series BMW. They would rather beat on the dealer to get a few K off than switch. And the dealers know this and have already inflated the price to cover the "negotiation".

Something has to happen and fast. I dont see how they can promise all those ppl end of the year deliveries when mass vins haven’t started being assigned yet. It would be a logistical nightmare trying to do all of this last minute. Instead you’d think they would be getting started early
But there has been deliveries, just not many for people on this forum. Remember, we're a tiny fraction of the overall Tesla community.

Not really. Most people buying a ~$100k car are not "super rich" and $5~10K is not negligible. You can see frequent discussions about getting a few more percent of discount in all Porsche/MB/BMW forums (even for Porsche 911s, MB G glass).
Agree with @jboy210. Getting the best deal on the car that you want has ZERO to do with choosing the car you want based on price. People at the high end are going to pick the car that they want because of how it drives, what it says about them, how it looks, etc. After they've chosen the car they will shop around to try and get the best deal.

If some wealthy person wants to buy a V10 G-Wagen, a tax credit is not going to push them into an X

Tesla buyers have not had access to EV credits for almost 3 years. Yet their order books are full and here we are pining for our X's. The EV tax credits are to help someone that would buy a 35,000 ICE car instead step into a $43,000 EV. That helps the environment.

At the risk of veering into politics, this statement is absolute garbage. You don't list where in Cali you live, but in the Bay Area, San Mateo county, median household income was $122,641 in 2019 (I lived there for 16 years). So you are talking about 4X median household income. That level of income is extremely comfortable, even in San Mateo County.

The goal of these tax credits are to push people into EVs that would not otherwise buy one. You and all of us on here would buy an EV even without the tax credit. So these tax credits are not for us.

Don't get me wrong, we "working rich" pay the highest tax rates in the country. Way higher than the uber rich. So I appreciate wanting to get a little back for all that we pay in. But you can see the optics for the politicians of someone who is able to buy a $100k MX crying about not getting a tax credit.
Well I disagree. The median price of a home in San Mateo County is @ $2 million. Home prices continue to surge in San Mateo County
Not sure how "comfortable" one can be with a gross income of $122k. And as stated by others the goal is to move everyone too EV's. Many of the "rich" still make buying decisions by "saving" money. Especially "tax savings" since they often hate paying taxes. The world will benefit the more people buy EV's. If it takes a tax credit to move some - do it. And I stand by my position that these "low" limits are based on politics of red mind vs blue mind and relative thoughts of who/what is rich.

Last edited:
And do these discussions lead to a Porsche buyer getting a BMW instead? I am going to bet no. Same thing with a Merc-S class buyer. No way they are going to a 7 series BMW. They would rather beat on the dealer to get a few K off than switch. And the dealers know this and have already inflated the price to cover the "negotiation".
Talked to a Porsche salesman today and he told me that new order delivery dates for 911's are 2-3 years and that they are demanding and getting large premiums over MSRP. In the case of a 911 GT3, it's a minimum 3 year wait and they are pre-selling the orders and charging $50K over MSRP. He also mentioned that it's not unusual to sell new vehicles that don't include power seats and power adjustable steering wheels. Porsche is prioritizing features to best utilize the chip supplies available.

Crazy world...

Couldn’t agree more with everything you said. For the same reasons most if not all of us didn’t qualify for stimulus checks that people were getting.
A lot of you, living comfortably in your air-conditioned homes, did not get any stimulus checks . I didn't get any checks either. But that's more to do with lack of address to mail them to. (The government won't deliver to "Under the bridge Hwy 183, near the H-E-B supermarket." It's NOT just wealthy people buying Model X. Some of us regular folk buy them the too!

As a note, even though the MX LR has increased in base price by $15,000 since the refresh was announced, that is only in the U.S. In Canada, the increase (if I’ve done my math correctly) is only Cdn$9,300 which is roughly US$7,500. Why hasn’t the base price increased more in Canada? My guess is that it’s because the Canadian Luxury Tax is coming iJanuary 1, which will increase the the amount paid by the buyer by roughly US$7,500 (depending upon your configuration), so the end result is roughly a US$15,000 price increase effective January 1, and Tesla has trimmed its own price increase accordingly…

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
As you move to upper car price levels the buyers tend to be people that will buy without rebates. Sure everyone wants a rebate, it's "free money". But, buyers want an X, S, S class Mercedes, Porsche, BMW 5/7 Lexus LX, etc., and will buy what they want regardless of a $5K-10K rebate.
Controversial opinion: The rebate should actually get bigger proportionally as the price of the car gets bigger to account for this. $5k will move the needle on a $30k car, $20k would move the needle on a $100k car, etc.

As a note, even though the MX LR has increased in base price by $15,000 since the refresh was announced, that is only in the U.S. In Canada, the increase (if I’ve done my math correctly) is only Cdn$9,300 which is roughly US$7,500. Why hasn’t the base price increased more in Canada? My guess is that it’s because the Canadian Luxury Tax is coming iJanuary 1, which will increase the the amount paid by the buyer by roughly US$7,500 (depending upon your configuration), so the end result is roughly a US$15,000 price increase effective January 1, and Tesla has trimmed its own price increase accordingly…
I’m sure you are correct about Canada. I also believe the reason they are increasing the prices on the Ys and 3s almost weekly is in anticipation of the upcoming tax credits. When it’s all said and done, the prices will be about $7,500 to $10,000 more than they were a year or so ago. With the credit, the consumer will pay roughly the same price as people did a year ago and Tesla will in essence take the tax credit for themselves and their profits will soar. Its very smart business even though it nullifies what the government is trying to accomplish. With how bad the Biden administration has been treating Musk and Tesla I imagine there is no love lost there for Sleepy Joe and his agenda.