Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are all wondering the same thing. This isn't a production ramp. The S/X line has been there for literally 10 years. There are some different bits and bobs on the latest version but they have done refreshes before and there was never this amount of delay. It has to be supply chain related. There must be some items they are unable to get in the quantities they need. Plus for the Plaids there is some rumored regulatory hurdle that must be crossed.

Based on the flyovers they are still producing cars but X's are stacking up outside waiting on something(s). Then as they receive those somethings they finish the cars and ship them. Hence the cars are dribbling out bit by bit.
My understanding is that a new production line for the S and X has been part of the scope of the Palladium project along. You can see the end of production of the old line and the startup of the new one in the quarterly data. At the refreshed S kickoff, Elon mentions S production is 25 per week now, then several hundred cars per week soon follow by 1000+ next quarter (3rd quarter).

I suspect the X production ramp will follow a similar pattern. Given the latest surge in VINs, maybe they are in the low hundreds per week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetpad
I agree. Mine has been working great, minus ghost stops/slow downs. But lately (last week or so), it's been acting funky. Now that my camera is acting up, I'm not using it much anymore
I don't get the phantom braking much but it does constantly freak out on many streets at the exact same spots asking me to take over or hold the wheel if I'm not even on AP. I am holding the wheel and dead center in the lane when it happens, it's very weird. Since it's the same spots I'm assuming mine isn't hardware-related.

Reactions: Elixir
I don't get the phantom braking much but it does constantly freak out on many streets at the exact same spots asking me to take over or hold the wheel if I'm not even on AP. I am holding the wheel and dead center in the lane when it happens, it's very weird. Since it's the same spots I'm assuming mine isn't hardware-related.
If the car detects in the near future there is an obstacle (or potential obstruction) or loss of road view it will warn you

If the car detects in the near future there is an obstacle (or potential obstruction) or loss of road view it will warn you
Yeah I know but it’s nothing like that. The roads are all clearly marked and no obstacles. I’m thinking something on vision isn’t matching up with gps coordinates because it’s literally at the exact same spots within a few feet in the road every day.

This isn’t that though. It just tries to stop for no reason. Street could be empty.
That is a strange one. I get this message in one corner by my house if I get a little too close (4-6 feet) to the edge of the road. I think it is seeing the brick mailbox on the side of the road. This may be caused by the radar sensor are binary. I am hoping for better with the new non-radar systems.

My understanding is that a new production line for the S and X has been part of the scope of the Palladium project along. You can see the end of production of the old line and the startup of the new one in the quarterly data. At the refreshed S kickoff, Elon mentions S production is 25 per week now, then several hundred cars per week soon follow by 1000+ next quarter (3rd quarter).

I suspect the X production ramp will follow a similar pattern. Given the latest surge in VINs, maybe they are in the low hundreds per week.
I was told they are producing only a few a day

• Informative
Reactions: Hebert
@DelPhonic1
They did not start delivering model S in early feb like they said they would. That’s what I was talking about. As far as other car manufacturers I don’t know why you are bringing that up, I haven’t mentioned any other car company nor am I concerned with other car companies. I’m concerned with the company that told me in Jan that the model S was in production and would be doing deliveries in the next couple weeks with the X a couple months after. That’s the only one I’m concerned about. So question for you, what is your explanation for Tesla saying the S is in PRODUCTION in Jan and deliveries happening Feb 1 when it didn’t do either?
Same as always. They had the best intentions, then supply shortages battery other semiconductor or otherwise related to the pandemic showed up. Those situations are real world and all the companies have issued statements mentioning the difficulties with production lately because of it. And then when they show up, the complicated wizardry is hard to make right. You may be happiest with a car company that doesn't change production at light speed with the ensuing chaos. Maybe a Toyota.

@DelPhonic1
They did not start delivering model S in early feb like they said they would. That’s what I was talking about. As far as other car manufacturers I don’t know why you are bringing that up, I haven’t mentioned any other car company nor am I concerned with other car companies. I’m concerned with the company that told me in Jan that the model S was in production and would be doing deliveries in the next couple weeks with the X a couple months after. That’s the only one I’m concerned about. So question for you, what is your explanation for Tesla saying the S is in PRODUCTION in Jan and deliveries happening Feb 1 when it didn’t do either?
Simply pointing out that delays and snafus are not unique to Tesla. I wasn’t attacking you personally at all. We’re all frustrated.

Same as always. They had the best intentions, then supply shortages battery other semiconductor or otherwise related to the pandemic showed up. Those situations are real world and all the companies have issued statements mentioning the difficulties with production lately because of it. And then when they show up, the complicated wizardry is hard to make right. You may be happiest with a car company that doesn't change production at light speed with the ensuing chaos. Maybe a Toyota.
I fully understand shortages. The only point I’m making is not lieing about when you started. Don’t say they are in production and deliveries will start in a few weeks if neither one of those are true. People made decisions based off of that info. That’s the only point I’m talking about. I realize delays, which is why i haven’t talked about that, I’m saying don’t say last jan they are in production when they aren’t. That has nothing to do with shortages, Covid or any other excuse it’s a blatant lie. That’s it. I shouldn’t have to look at buying a Toyota like you suggested because they flat out lied.

Regarding the Y, Do you know how much later we’d get it if EDD is 12/9-12/31 and need to delay? Get it in a month or so or >2 months. Also, I read that Tesla is canceling orders that have repeatedly delayed.
I had a similar scenario. My order for the X has been in since Jan 2021, I ordered a MYP 11/7/21 not knowing what was going to go on, received a VIN this past Sunday for the Y with a delivery date for 12/7/21. I responded to the delivery texts that I wanted to delay until Feb 2022 and my account now shows it is on hold until 2/1/22. It also shows a button to say “I’m ready” if I don’t want to wait so it should be pretty easy to have this done.

BC50181E-A1DC-45AD-9632-5B7568D42011.jpeg

I had a similar scenario. My order for the X has been in since Jan 2021, I ordered a MYP 11/7/21 not knowing what was going to go on, received a VIN this past Sunday for the Y with a delivery date for 12/7/21. I responded to the delivery texts that I wanted to delay until Feb 2022 and my account now shows it is on hold until 2/1/22. It also shows a button to say “I’m ready” if I don’t want to wait so it should be pretty easy to have this done.

View attachment 742133
Thank you, very helpful info!