Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, I can definitely relate. I figured out how to get my hands on a new Y soon… so I’ll take that for the interim, switch to a 5 seat again, and just wait. If/when the X EVER comes, I’ll then take delivery of that and sell the Y. F it. With the extreme wait times, I shouldn’t take much of a financial hit (if any).
November 2012 reservation expected to be $70,000. I couldn't afford more battery.
January 2017 received gray, white interior, 6 seat, 75D, supposedly with self driving. $106,000 not $70,000.
January 14, 2021 order gray, white interior 6 seat, LR.
August 2021 sold 2017 Tesla to Carmax for $50,000. Tesla was only offering $40,000.00.
My steering column had broken and repaired. Both stutts had broken at the same time and Tesla Highland Park refused to repair them. May of 2020 Tesla lowered range on the battery (MS group won a class action), Highland Park refused to acknowledge or put battery range back in place.
November 28, 2021 X was VINd. Got insurance.
Excited Tesla getting act together, so I ordered a Y 2022, white, white, 5 seat...for my kid/ business deduction.
I made everyone mad, because I'm a 59yr old woman and asked people to be polite...haha.
Bruce took away my thumbs up and approves my comments now.
December 8, 2021 X ordered Jan14, 2021 moved to February.
I've been widowed for 19.5 yrs. My boys are 21.5yrs...car guy and 19.5yrs..he is not a car guy.
This thread is 98 percent guys. The unofficial site from 2012 to 2018 was very polite. My problem I guess.
Can't wait based on T.Rex experience. Lucky to have a business that we legitimately can use and write off these cars.

• Love
Reactions: DelPhonic1
Just joining this thread. Have a Model X Plaid on order (Pearl White / 6-seat / white + CF interior / 22's). My EDD, like many of you here, was originally January 2022, and has since shifted to February. It's disheartening to learn that many of you are still waiting in line for cars you ordered *before* the refresh was even announced. I didn't order mine until late July 2021, so I'm guessing the odds of me taking delivery in February are next to nil.

Question for the group: Although I'm buying the Plaid (whenever it's ready), I'm only leasing my current Model X (first car I have ever leased), and the lease terminates in March 2022. Wondering if anyone else out there has experience extending a lease -- month-to-month maybe? Obviously have to talk to my lender, but just wondered if anyone here has also had to do that due to the delays.

We are all wondering the same thing. This isn't a production ramp. The S/X line has been there for literally 10 years. There are some different bits and bobs on the latest version but they have done refreshes before and there was never this amount of delay. It has to be supply chain related. There must be some items they are unable to get in the quantities they need. Plus for the Plaids there is some rumored regulatory hurdle that must be crossed.

Based on the flyovers they are still producing cars but X's are stacking up outside waiting on something(s). Then as they receive those somethings they finish the cars and ship them. Hence the cars are dribbling out bit by bit.
Memory says yhis is the first MX refresh..body, not just cameras

It's probably a cacophony of woes. I've seen reports Tesla has had trouble getting airbags, bench seats for the MX, even USB ports. There are also rumors of problems with the FWD -- that one is a head scratcher because they've been making 'em since 2016, it's not like they're new or the body style has changed significantly. CNBC published a piece within the last couple of days indicating that defective chips have caused failures on Tesla vision cameras that are being fixed as "good will" by service centers. On top of this, Tesla is a company where engineers have the power versus the MBAs/bean counters at legacy OEMs. Engineers love to tinker and there are indications Tesla is still fiddling with the tech and/or design on the MX.

It could be any, all or none of the factors mentioned. Who knows? A year from now the story will get out, but for right now we're in Act 1 of this mystery. There's a body on the floor and nobody knows anything about when, where and why it got there other than the murderer... er, I mean the manufacturer.
They didn't have bench seats in 2016...2018 or later?

I agree. Mine has been working great, minus ghost stops/slow downs. But lately (last week or so), it's been acting funky. Now that my camera is acting up, I'm not using it much anymore
FYI
With autopilot ghost breaking it was mostly under an over pass, next to a semi, shade of a tree.
When the car sensed shade...slammed breaks. I think my car gotvuse to my driving route.

Just joining this thread. Have a Model X Plaid on order (Pearl White / 6-seat / white + CF interior / 22's). My EDD, like many of you here, was originally January 2022, and has since shifted to February. It's disheartening to learn that many of you are still waiting in line for cars you ordered *before* the refresh was even announced. I didn't order mine until late July 2021, so I'm guessing the odds of me taking delivery in February are next to nil.

Question for the group: Although I'm buying the Plaid (whenever it's ready), I'm only leasing my current Model X (first car I have ever leased), and the lease terminates in March 2022. Wondering if anyone else out there has experience extending a lease -- month-to-month maybe? Obviously have to talk to my lender, but just wondered if anyone here has also had to do that due to the delays.
Seems Tesla will extend your lease month to month virtually indefinitely. Only thing is every payment you make after that depreciation you are paying more than the actual depreciation. Have to decide what's more important at that point having that specific car or giving Tesla free $.

Regarding the Y, Do you know how much later we’d get it if EDD is 12/9-12/31 and need to delay? Get it in a month or so or >2 months. Also, I read that Tesla is canceling orders that have repeatedly delayed.
They just asked what month I would prefer to take delivery. I said Feb and now my account says on hold until February but I’m not sure what their maximum range is. I’m assuming they’ll have me on the list for then but it is Tesla

Reactions: Tezlagirl
I'm curious if interior space is any different. As in, is thereore or less headroom, legroom, etc.?
View attachment 741807View attachment 741808View attachment 741809View attachment 741810I’ve had a few requests for the differences between the 2017 and 2022 Model X along with some interior pictures so here goes.
Handling! I’ve never driven a Raven S/X but this is much better than any pre Raven S/X and in my opinion better than the Model 3. The service manager who moved it before I got there said it was a leap above Raven.
Smooth Power. Didn’t realize how much of a difference there was between 4.7 seconds and 3.8 seconds.

Sound System. Music sounds even better and the fact that nothing rattles makes the base so smooth.

NOTHING RATTLES!!! If you have had an earlier Model X this will make you as excited as it made me.

Road Noise. It’s so quiet!

Ventilated Seats. I was skeptical but I love them. They will be amazing for a long road trips.

I like the yoke and it didn’t take long to get used to. I know a lot of people have had a issue with the turn signals but I drove 100 miles on the interstate on Autopilot but not NoA and used them enough to prefer it to a stalk.

I prefer the new landscape screen although everything has moved and I’m not used to it yet. The browser is incredibly fast.

Also there are lots of small changes like:

Lights in the rear speaker grills.

Buttons like the 3/Y on the inside of the front doors.

All 4 door interiors are completely redesigned.

Extra cargo compartments in the rear and slightly smaller Frunk.

In summary, The 2017 is a Spaceship and the 2022 is a Spaceship From The Future.

I think that’s about it but let me know if anyone has any additional questions.

Reactions: croman and Ormond
View attachment 741807View attachment 741808View attachment 741809View attachment 741810I’ve had a few requests for the differences between the 2017 and 2022 Model X along with some interior pictures so here goes.
Handling! I’ve never driven a Raven S/X but this is much better than any pre Raven S/X and in my opinion better than the Model 3. The service manager who moved it before I got there said it was a leap above Raven.
Smooth Power. Didn’t realize how much of a difference there was between 4.7 seconds and 3.8 seconds.

Sound System. Music sounds even better and the fact that nothing rattles makes the base so smooth.

NOTHING RATTLES!!! If you have had an earlier Model X this will make you as excited as it made me.

Road Noise. It’s so quiet!

Ventilated Seats. I was skeptical but I love them. They will be amazing for a long road trips.

I like the yoke and it didn’t take long to get used to. I know a lot of people have had a issue with the turn signals but I drove 100 miles on the interstate on Autopilot but not NoA and used them enough to prefer it to a stalk.

I prefer the new landscape screen although everything has moved and I’m not used to it yet. The browser is incredibly fast.

Also there are lots of small changes like:

Lights in the rear speaker grills.

Buttons like the 3/Y on the inside of the front doors.

All 4 door interiors are completely redesigned.

Extra cargo compartments in the rear and slightly smaller Frunk.

In summary, The 2017 is a Spaceship and the 2022 is a Spaceship From The Future.

I think that’s about it but let me know if anyone has any additional questions.
I think you asked somewhere about protecting white seats. I use the gyeon ceramic coating on my Y's seats and it's great Would recommend

Reactions: T.REX
Not doing the golf cart commute anymore.
I bought a used Model X from Tesla.
Process has been smooth and seamless including great communication, and frequent follow up by phone, text and email. Financing, Tesla insurance base on my driving score, delivery scheduling, paperwork all online with text and email confirmations. All as it should be for customer service and will be with the new ones. They must be having major manufacturing issues just like my company is trying to build new homes in this supply chain mess. There is a surprise around every week with something else unavailable. With something as complex and advanced as X it is so much more of a target for supply problems. Hang in there folks!
Very, very tempting. Months ago, I looked into talking over a lease or buying used. But, prices are so high, they approach the cost of the refresh. I decided I’d be mad if I bought used out of impatience. Part of the reason I was looking at used was that I wanted a real steering wheel. I decided I could live with the yoke as the trade off for an overall new/better car.

Reactions: c_v_h