Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait it out, the price of used is too high and there are not many available anyway.
I found one that has everything I want. Low mileage. They’re asking 115 K. I think it’s a bit high, but admittedly I have to do a little more research. When I bought my last model X, shortly afterwards, the price plummeted. I’m not sure what they cost just before the refresh, but it would be helpful to know that before I make a decision.

Appreciate the input!

I found one that has everything I want. Low mileage. They’re asking 115 K. I think it’s a bit high, but admittedly I have to do a little more research. When I bought my last model X, shortly afterwards, the price plummeted. I’m not sure what they cost just before the refresh, but it would be helpful to know that before I make a decision.

Appreciate the input!
If I remember correct I believe the model x performance with no options was 100k before the refresh.

Appreciate the input!
I wouldn’t do it. I wouldn’t want to be stuck behind mcu2 for the next 4-5 years. Unless you are planning just a 2 year ownership, then ya who cares. Plaid also is prob way faster from 60-120.

I think it depends on just how much you prefer the wheel/stalks to new yoke/ stalkless. I suspect handling, ride and throttle response will all be at least slightly improved in the newest model. A lot to juggle in making decision.
If you decide to stick with a 2019/2020, this forum may be a good place to find your car as I am sure I am not alone in planning to sell my late model low mileage X in the next few months when the new ones arrive.

I think it depends on just how much you prefer the wheel/stalks to new yoke/ stalkless. I suspect handling, ride and throttle response will all be at least slightly improved in the newest model. A lot to juggle in making decision.
If you decide to stick with a 2019/2020, this forum may be a good place to find your car as I am sure I am not alone in planning to sell my late model low mileage X in the next few months when the new ones arrive.
I am definitely in the market for a 2020 performance. I am going to work on getting the price down on the one I have targeted. Meanwhile, is anyone here willing to help me identify the actual sticker price on a 2020 Performance X with six seat configuration? The last one I bought was a 2017. The price totally plummeted after I bought it (yet another Tesla kick in the rocks...).

I am definitely in the market for a 2020 performance. I am going to work on getting the price down on the one I have targeted. Meanwhile, is anyone here willing to help me identify the actual sticker price on a 2020 Performance X with six seat configuration? The last one I bought was a 2017. The price totally plummeted after I bought it (yet another Tesla kick in the rocks...).
I have used Wayback Machine, just put in the link to the model x order page and select a date near the production date of the X based on the VIN to get an idea on pricing. You will be able to add the options to get the purchase price at that time since there were a few price adjustments.

• Informative
Reactions: Krash
Is there any information on what the cause of the delay is? Aside from supply chain etc. issues? There appears to be a complete lack of any information/speculation/guess regarding when they might actually see daylight and begin deliveries.

I had order a MY in April as a backup plan, paused the order until August 1st, well yesterday my Sale advisor called to tell me I matched a Model Y. Told him I was still holding out for my X order, he said that he knows they started making a few within the last few weeks and said my August delivery is still possible. So, I rejected the Model Y vin and continue to wait. I think it would be crazy not to wait it out more, I really want the X, the price is now 12k more than my order Ect. However, these SA never really know what’s going on and have relayed bad info in the past. Who knows….i really want to see a flyover with a few more X in the Fremont lot.

Is there any information on what the cause of the delay is? Aside from supply chain etc. issues? There appears to be a complete lack of any information/speculation/guess regarding when they might actually see daylight and begin deliveries.
But... supply chain issues are the reason. Every manufacturer is unable to produce at maximum output because of supply chain issues. Ford, Hyundai, Chevy, Dodge, etc. are all running on fumes right now and dealerships are barely stocked with new cars. It's also why the used car market is so hot right now, people are forced to buy used when they need a car right now because there's no new inventory.

Elon said in the last call that they are being impacted by supply chain issues. That's the best you're going to get as far as communication.

• Disagree
Reactions: henderrj and croman
I agree with eveyt
But... supply chain issues are the reason. Every manufacturer is unable to produce at maximum output because of supply chain issues. Ford, Hyundai, Chevy, Dodge, etc. are all running on fumes right now and dealerships are barely stocked with new cars. It's also why the used car market is so hot right now, people are forced to buy used when they need a car right now because there's no new inventory.

Elon said in the last call that they are being impacted by supply chain issues. That's the best you're going to get as far as communication.
I wholly agree with your thoughts. But, they have not made a single MX for the market in months. The lack of a single car makes me wonder about the issue(s) that Tesla is seeking to resolve.

I agree with eveyt

I wholly agree with your thoughts. But, they have not made a single MX for the market in months. The lack of a single car makes me wonder about the issue(s) that Tesla is seeking to resolve.

If I had to guess, and it's only a guess, they're using what they can get for their tried and true money makers: Model 3 and Model Y. Doesn't the Model X have the slimmest margins out of all the cars Tesla makes?

If I had to guess, and it's only a guess, they're using what they can get for their tried and true money makers: Model 3 and Model Y. Doesn't the Model X have the slimmest margins out of all the cars Tesla makes?
Model S and X are Tesla’s most profitable cars. Elon has stated many times his gratitude for those people who purchased them in the early years because those purchases helped finance the development of the higher volume but lower margin cars like the Model 3 and Y. The costs for the S and X have only come down over the years as they have been able to amortize their tooling and development costs over many years now. Elon also stated in last quarters conference call that the cost of producing the refreshed models of the S and X are actually a little lower than the version before, thus even more profitable.

Model S and X are Tesla’s most profitable cars. Elon has stated many times his gratitude for those people who purchased them in the early years because those purchases helped finance the development of the higher volume but lower margin cars like the Model 3 and Y. The costs for the S and X have only come down over the years as they have been able to amortize their tooling and development costs over many years now. Elon also stated in last quarters conference call that the cost of producing the refreshed models of the S and X are actually a little lower than the version before, thus even more profitable.
This is what I have understood all along. The S and the X have made Tesla some healthy money. The fact that they are not selling them as fast as they can, and have yet to sell a single Model X, to me, indicates, something other/more than the supply chain crunch everyone in many sectors is contending with. The S and the X are a much smaller fraction of the 3 and Y, and the 3 and Y are rolling off the line and the revenue onto the balance sheet. I sincerely doubt we will become privy to the issues, but the problem right now is that we have truly no idea when the X may be sold considering its delay could extend into all of 2021 and 2022.

I would agree that unlikely there is supply issue that is slowing it down. More profit margin on X and S than 3 and Y so makes sense to put chips/lumbar support buttons in the more profitable models and sell those than focus on less profit. That being said I'm sure there are other expenses with a manufacturing line start/stop/slow/increase which may make it not worth it in the end but I'm not sure on that. Either way would be nice to get something to say what's going on.

Either way would be nice to get something to say what's going on.
Ultimately, this is what yields the issue. If we couple all this with the unexplained MS weeklong pause where service centers with cars in inventory were prohibited from delivering them, ultimately makes me wonder when this process will actually begin. For all we know, MXs have been produced and are waiting on something before they start to ship them out. In the end though, the opaqueness of this approach is what can be maddening. At this point, people are waiting 10+ months for actionable information on their $100K+ cars of which most of us do not need several, and probably plan to use the one on at least a semi-regular basis.

I would agree that unlikely there is supply issue that is slowing it down. More profit margin on X and S than 3 and Y so makes sense to put chips/lumbar support buttons in the more profitable models and sell those than focus on less profit. That being said I'm sure there are other expenses with a manufacturing line start/stop/slow/increase which may make it not worth it in the end but I'm not sure on that. Either way would be nice to get something to say what's going on.
Pure conjecture for sure … but I am beginning to wonder if the real reason is that Elon is adding special new stuff to the X to make sure it holds its own for several years against the likes of the Mercedes EQSeries SUVs and others that will be appearing in the next 2-3 years.
FSD, AI and The Fleet, super chargers will keep Tesla way ahead - but easier to see and understand things like range, build quality, neat features will become more important as competition comes.
These take engineering time.
I can hardly wait for my first $100k vehicle, and it will be worth every dollar, even with the 10% increase now upon new buyers.