Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, we bought an early VIN MY last year and decided that we wanted to get the X - post refresh. Selling the MY now, and ordered the refresh. I keep thinking, however, if I'm buying a placeholder for what will ultimately become of the X. Kind of like Raven was prior to the refresh. Is it likely that this refresh interior will see a refresh exterior in the next year or two? Or even the better batteries?

So, we bought an early VIN MY last year and decided that we wanted to get the X - post refresh. Selling the MY now, and ordered the refresh. I keep thinking, however, if I'm buying a placeholder for what will ultimately become of the X. Kind of like Raven was prior to the refresh. Is it likely that this refresh interior will see a refresh exterior in the next year or two? Or even the better batteries?

I assume speed and range will continue to improve every year or two. I kind of doubt an exterior refresh is imminent. There was so much pent-up demand for a refresh and I think Tesla will feel this satisfies it. Seems likely to be 4 -5 years before it gets fevered again. Plus, I’m sure they’d rather spend that engineering time on Cybertruck, ”Model 2”, semi, and etc.

If Mercedes or Lucid or Porsche or Rivian or someone starts eating into X/S sales, that could drive more attention to something like an exterior refresh, but it doesn’t seem all that likely to me right now. I guess we’ll see. :)

As the competition in electric vehicles grow, Tesla will have to do more with updating their designs. Most companies are on A 7-8 year model cycle with a big refresh in the middle. Tesla has allocated most of its money and development focus to battery development and building out their factories. After the 4680's and the new factories are up and running they will need to allocate more resources to design and service. Let’s face it, as beautiful as the MS was when it first arrived, (I bought an early 2013) after nine years of production and only very minor exterior changes, it has become a little long in the tooth.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
Yeah, the exterior of if both cars did not change much at all. It is also hard to discern what they will do with the battery. Seems they stayed with older 18650 batteries with the refresh instead of the 2170. And no one really knows when the 4680 will be put out. S and X being the flagship, greater competition at this price point, and I can only think that this year's changes will go about 2 years or so.

I'm dumbfounded as to why they're keeping Aug/Sep EDDs for some MX if they have no intention of actually delivering them then. Are they planning on making them 100 units at a time?
What makes you think they have no intention of delivering any in August or September? I’m betting they deliver a handful to the few scheduled August deliveries in late August and then more in September.

Reactions: JER85 and Elixir
I do wonder how many of us have an EDD of August or September.
Odds are there are more orders with EDDs for that timeframe than what will be even remotely possible for them to deliver on. I've given up on holding my breath and just trying to figure out what to do about the meantime. I'm hoping for something positive from this week's video flyover.

Reactions: croman
4E0A1029-88F3-44A0-8F88-EB9FCA01B3D5.png

To me it's the same as getting a new iPhone, etc... We all want cars to be investments but in the end most are not that fruitful. We can just hope to be happy with the technology that we get and then hopefully afford to upgrade... Or you can just lease and not worry about the FOMO :)

Probably. It’s just progress!

To me it's the same as getting a new iPhone, etc... We all want cars to be investments but in the end most are not that fruitful. We can just hope to be happy with the technology that we get and then hopefully afford to upgrade... Or you can just lease and not worry about the FOMO :)
Could it be that these price hikes are related to actual improvements in the refresh process? Or is it just the Tesla way?