Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone!

Long time follower, first time poster. Just chiming in because I gave the Fremont phone line a call and wanted to share my findings.

First of all, this is my first Tesla order and I ordered on 7/21/21. I ordered MX LR W/W/6/22/no FSD. Original EDD Jan-Feb. Updated to Jan in August and then to Feb on 12/8/21 like almost everyone else.

When I spoke to Fremont, they looked up my order based on my phone number and RN115345XXX and told me that I’m looking at July delivery. He said it’s a good thing that I’m a 6-seater or I’d be waiting until 2023 for a 5 or 7 seater.

A little shocked, I asked if he was sure about his estimates since the app and website show February. He said based on their algorithm and production predictions, July is what my EDD is looking to be.

Do we know how accurate the predictions in Fremont are? I certainly don’t expect or hope to get my reservation before some of you who have been waiting much longer than me. I was just hoping for a huge production ramp up where we could all receive our X’s this quarter.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
While it's annoying that the EDD in your Tesla account is a placeholder vs. utilizing the same algorithm Tesla uses internally, it's also not that surprising that your actual EDD is July. Considering you just ordered this past summer, there are a LOT of orders ahead of you.

I'd recommend waiting until you have a VIN and a firm delivery date. Financing only takes a day or two.
I have the same however will wait until a VIN is assigned. Based on the trends there is no point in running the credit check now.
If I can believe the person who answered my call today in Fremont we will be waiting for a longtime (upto a year) to get a 5 or 7 seater X. Unless you plan on switch to a 6 seat config it is pointless to run credit, just keep it as cash.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Seems like 1 year from order until delivery is probably a reasonable estimate for most of us. That’s what was inferred on my last call with a Tesla manager. Truly no consideration that we ordered cars based on when we needed them to live our lives. EDDs are truly meaningless, because Tesla does not give a flying fig about you needing a car by XYZ date to drive carpool or grocery shop. Perhaps not legally actionable, but utterly disgusting corporate culture on their part to treat us this way.

Tesla bit off way more than they could chew with the many configuration permutations, got hampered by supply chain issues and their own corporate culture which prioritizes one utterly bizarre human being’s fragile ego over honest communications and proper customer service.

I’m now scrambling to figure out how to get to work and drive school carpool beyond next month. Properly screwed by a company I was really excited by.

A few hundred pages ago, a few fanboys flamed me for referring to Tesla as a big dumpster fire. Based on what I’m reading and experiencing, I very much stand by that comment.

Hello everyone!

Long time follower, first time poster. Just chiming in because I gave the Fremont phone line a call and wanted to share my findings.

First of all, this is my first Tesla order and I ordered on 7/21/21. I ordered MX LR W/W/6/22/no FSD. Original EDD Jan-Feb. Updated to Jan in August and then to Feb on 12/8/21 like almost everyone else.

When I spoke to Fremont, they looked up my order based on my phone number and RN115345XXX and told me that I’m looking at July delivery. He said it’s a good thing that I’m a 6-seater or I’d be waiting until 2023 for a 5 or 7 seater.

A little shocked, I asked if he was sure about his estimates since the app and website show February. He said based on their algorithm and production predictions, July is what my EDD is looking to be.

Do we know how accurate the predictions in Fremont are? I certainly don’t expect or hope to get my reservation before some of you who have been waiting much longer than me. I was just hoping for a huge production ramp up where we could all receive our X’s this quarter.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Wow. Second report today that seems to indicate that 5/7 seat cars are a year away. I've tried to be a positive influence here, but this news is a bit on the devastating side. Heck, I've even seen a real life seven seater...

i'd beg to differ. I was stuck for 4 hours and eventually had to turn off my heat and put on my snow jacket with 3-4" of snow on my hood and my wipers frozen and not doing anything. i ran down like 50 miles of battery just sitting there and moving like 5 miles. My total commute was only supposed to be about 15 miles
You would need to provide more details for that to be even plausible. Which Model X were you in and we can do the math. That’s some significant energy consumption. Were the windows rolled down?

Seems like 1 year from order until delivery is probably a reasonable estimate for most of us. That’s what was inferred on my last call with a Tesla manager. Truly no consideration that we ordered cars based on when we needed them to live our lives. EDDs are truly meaningless, because Tesla does not give a flying fig about you needing a car by XYZ date to drive carpool or grocery shop. Perhaps not legally actionable, but utterly disgusting corporate culture on their part to treat us this way.

Tesla bit off way more than they could chew with the many configuration permutations, got hampered by supply chain issues and their own corporate culture which prioritizes one utterly bizarre human being’s fragile ego over honest communications and proper customer service.

I’m now scrambling to figure out how to get to work and drive school carpool beyond next month. Properly screwed by a company I was really excited by.

A few hundred pages ago, a few fanboys flamed me for referring to Tesla as a big dumpster fire. Based on what I’m reading and experiencing, I very much stand by that comment.
Not trying to minimize your experience or make excuses for Tesla. 100% agree this is not a customer-centric way of doing business. But also, this is always the way Tesla’s been and it’s extremely well documented, so one could argue planning anything at all around a Tesla EDD was just asking for trouble.

Not at all how the sales guy aggressively sold me on this car last summer. I was very clear I needed it by a drop dead date, and he “promised” me he would make it happen. This was my intro to a new car brand. Coming from BMWs and Mercedes, where dealers tend to have the inventory to back up such promises, I took this lovely fellow at his word.

Funny, he doesn’t answer my calls or emails and it must be my fault for believing him.

You would need to provide more details for that to be even plausible. Which Model X were you in and we can do the math. That’s some significant energy consumption. Were the windows rolled down?
Around 2 years ago in may 2018 Model X 75D going from Whippany, NJ to Short Hills, NJ starting with about 65-70 mile of range around Thanksgiving? STuck on Columbia Turnpike due to being a hill and icy so traffic not moving at about 3-7PM as the storm was rolling in as schools were getting out.

Obviously very cold as it was snowing.

I was going to get out and clear my hood but decided not to. My wipers froze when i turned off cabin heat.

Is that enough details for you?

i have the exact date and time 11/15/2018 by 4:19PM I had been stuck for 4.5 hours. So i mustve left work at lunch

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurl3x4me
Not at all how the sales guy aggressively sold me on this car last summer. I was very clear I needed it by a drop dead date, and he “promised” me he would make it happen. This was my intro to a new car brand. Coming from BMWs and Mercedes, where dealers tend to have the inventory to back up such promises, I took this lovely fellow at his word.

Funny, he doesn’t answer my calls or emails and it must be my fault for believing him.
Yeah, it's brutal man, so frustrating/irritating and there's zero accountability and no throat to choke. I feel your pain.

Not trying to minimize your experience or make excuses for Tesla. 100% agree this is not a customer-centric way of doing business. But also, this is always the way Tesla’s been and it’s extremely well documented, so one could argue planning anything at all around a Tesla EDD was just asking for trouble.
Totally disagree. Previous 2 Model S deliveries happened within days of the EDD, Model Y was actually early. If Tesla is about maturing as a company then it needs to improve it's planning and it's customer relationships.

Totally disagree. Previous 2 Model S deliveries happened within days of the EDD, Model Y was actually early. If Tesla is about maturing as a company then it needs to improve it's planning and it's customer relationships.
I'm glad your experience has been great! But you should probably acknowledge it's atypical. Tesla doesn't have a reputation for terrible customer service for nothing. But I also don't care enough to go try and find data to prove my point, so it'll just have to be anecdotal.

Wow. Second report today that seems to indicate that 5/7 seat cars are a year away. I've tried to be a positive influence here, but this news is a bit on the devastating side. Heck, I've even seen a real life seven seater...
Agree this bit of an update is probably the most disheartening so far being a 7 seat order from early June of last year. If I knew that estimates were out that far, if tesla would be at least somewhat clearer with their estimates (as opposed to now possibly a year later!), 100% I would have ordered much more in advance also - if even that would help. I can’t imagine the delay for those of you who ordered a model x in late 2020 or early 2021 based and chose 5/7 seats if this is true and seeing this potential delay.

If we knew they were going to focus on 6 seaters only for a year in its production, I think many of us would have thought long and hard about going for a 6 then instead. I know I may have gone that route.

As many of you, I also have to figure out a lease ending in April of this year and figuring out what to do with that. I was originally going to have a reseller buy out the car and have the title out of my hands within 10 days so that I don’t have to pay cali taxes on the residual, but if the x is delayed further for me, only option is to buy out the lease, pay cali taxes, and sell the car whenever the x comes.

Still, agree very disappointing If this 2023 for 5/7 is true.

Last edited:
Around 2 years ago in may 2018 Model X 75D going from Whippany, NJ to Short Hills, NJ starting with about 65-70 mile of range around Thanksgiving? STuck on Columbia Turnpike due to being a hill and icy so traffic not moving at about 3-7PM as the storm was rolling in as schools were getting out.

Obviously very cold as it was snowing.

I was going to get out and clear my hood but decided not to. My wipers froze when i turned off cabin heat.

Is that enough details for you?

i have the exact date and time 11/15/2018 by 4:19PM I had been stuck for 4.5 hours. So i mustve left work at lunch
I have never owned a Tesla, but how would it be different if you were in an ICE car with only 2 gallons of gas when you got stuck?

I have never owned a Tesla, but how would it be different if you were in an ICE car with only 2 gallons of gas when you got stuck?
A gas car pulls heat from the engine and the engine generates heat to melt the snow on the hood. Extreme cold weather also forces the car to warm up the battery even if it isnt heating the cabin. You'll lose 10+ miles of range just sitting overnight in extreme cold environments.

I love Teslas..i've owned just about all of them. But extreme cold weather is a weak spot for them. I love that they have heat pumps now at least

Reactions: gglockner
A gas car pulls heat from the engine and the engine generates heat to melt the snow on the hood. Extreme cold weather also forces the car to warm up the battery even if it isnt heating the cabin. You'll lose 10+ miles of range just sitting overnight in extreme cold environments.

I love Teslas..i've owned just about all of them. But extreme cold weather is a weak spot for them. I love that they have heat pumps now at least
An Idling car (without taking the heater into consideration), will burn at least 1/2 gallon per hour. So on an ICE car, 60 mile range equates to 2 gallons. You would have run out of gas in the 4th hour, out of the 4.5 hours you were stuck there.

Yes, the story would have been different with a full tank of gas.... and also with a fully charged battery as well.

I'm glad your experience has been great! But you should probably acknowledge it's atypical. Tesla doesn't have a reputation for terrible customer service for nothing. But I also don't care enough to go try and find data to prove my point, so it'll just have to be anecdotal.
Still disagree with you. There's one significant issue with Tesla: delivery when it's a new product. That's what we saw in 2012/13 with the S, 2015/16 with the X, 2017/18 with the 3, 2019/2020 with the Y. Any other time they've been relatively stable at producing cars in a timely manner.

While the refresh is, for the most part, new, it's not a new product as far as I'm concerned. Much of it is still the same: the battery packs, the structure, the body, the FWD, seats, etc. I think most of us are aware of the majority of the significant changes, but not a fully itemized inventory of every single change. Regardless, Tesla essentially cutoff production to implement this change and everything slid off the rails. One would think they'd have done some testing and planning before initiating these changes. Clearly they did not. Yes, there's been delays due to COVID, but it certainly doesn't explain a year long loss of production when they were anticipating 2 months. Tesla was still able to deliver record numbers even in this past quarter despite the challenges. Somewhere down the line they need to assess what went wrong here because if they did the same thing to the Model 3 and Y for any major refresh, that's going to be significant issues for the company as a whole.

The difference is a fully charged battery on a 75D is about the same amount of energy as 2 gallons of gas. Gotta do some mental math if you want to have a predictable EV experience. In truly awfully frigid conditions and creeping along pushing through snow and wind and such, I'd expect 1500wh/mile or more. Which on a 75D battery means you're kinda boned if you are starting at 50% and have to go more than 18 miles...

I will second what Trev says about Tesla customer service. But I ordered a "mature" product and was lucky enough to order before they shut the line down, missed that by only a month, and had the best car delivery experience of my life, which took half an hour, just over two months from order to delivery, one month from order to production. Service has, so far, also been truly outstanding even amongst the people-pleaser luxury brand service departments I've become accustomed to.

Maybe there's a new Law of Car Buying, like never buy a first year Ford - never order a Tesla model that hasn't been out for 3 years, heh

Still disagree with you. There's one significant issue with Tesla: delivery when it's a new product. That's what we saw in 2012/13 with the S, 2015/16 with the X, 2017/18 with the 3, 2019/2020 with the Y. Any other time they've been relatively stable at producing cars in a timely manner.

While the refresh is, for the most part, new, it's not a new product as far as I'm concerned. Much of it is still the same: the battery packs, the structure, the body, the FWD, seats, etc. I think most of us are aware of the majority of the significant changes, but not a fully itemized inventory of every single change. Regardless, Tesla essentially cutoff production to implement this change and everything slid off the rails. One would think they'd have done some testing and planning before initiating these changes. Clearly they did not. Yes, there's been delays due to COVID, but it certainly doesn't explain a year long loss of production when they were anticipating 2 months. Tesla was still able to deliver record numbers even in this past quarter despite the challenges. Somewhere down the line they need to assess what went wrong here because if they did the same thing to the Model 3 and Y for any major refresh, that's going to be significant issues for the company as a whole.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. :) I worked on new product introductions at a Fortune 100 tech company for years, and can assure you, no matter how "minor" a release may appear to those outside the company (ex. a refresh), it's an incredibly large lift to actually pull it off. And EVs are significantly more complex than the products my former employer makes.