Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just called Fremont Tesla since my wife keeps on asking me when will she get to drive her model X. Not sure if this information helps but I'd like to share the information. The Sales rep told me that they are looking to start more production for the Model X for the next few weeks.

I don't remember what exactly the sales rep said but the conversation goes like this:

Me: Would you please let me know the ETA I will have my MX delivered?

Sales: Should be somewhere between Feb and March, we are looking to start producing more model x for the next few weeks.

Me: So far all the X delivered are 6 seats? I have 5 seats ordered.

Sales: that is correct.

Me: Will tesla produce 5 seat configuration in the next few weeks?

Sales: That is my understanding. The time you have in your tesla account is our current estimate, and we are hoping to produce in line to the time in your account.

Me: Oh okay, thanks for letting me know.

Sales: You are welcome.

Me: Thanks good, you have a great day. bye bye

The conversation is a bit longer than this, but I made it shorter and cut the useless words. My understanding is that they are going to produce more Model X and the time line they provided in our account is the schedule they are hoping for. But I find the time provided by tesla is never accurate.
I'm assuming your X is a non-Plaid 5 seater?

I just called Fremont Tesla since my wife keeps on asking me when will she get to drive her model X. Not sure if this information helps but I'd like to share the information. The Sales rep told me that they are looking to start more production for the Model X for the next few weeks.

I don't remember what exactly the sales rep said but the conversation goes like this:

Me: Would you please let me know the ETA I will have my MX delivered?

Sales: Should be somewhere between Feb and March, we are looking to start producing more model x for the next few weeks.

Me: So far all the X delivered are 6 seats? I have 5 seats ordered.

Sales: that is correct.

Me: Will tesla produce 5 seat configuration in the next few weeks?

Sales: That is my understanding. The time you have in your tesla account is our current estimate, and we are hoping to produce in line to the time in your account.

Me: Oh okay, thanks for letting me know.

Sales: You are welcome.

Me: Thanks good, you have a great day. bye bye

The conversation is a bit longer than this, but I made it shorter and cut the useless words. My understanding is that they are going to produce more Model X and the time line they provided in our account is the schedule they are hoping for. But I find the time provided by tesla is never accurate.
I spoke to a guy in Fremont today as well who said they have a lot more motors for the plaid variant than the regular motors and this is why we are seeing a wave of plaids… he also said LR to Plaid order volume is 50 to 1 and that the backlog of LR orders therefore dwarfs that of the Plaid. They would love to produce more LR than Plaid but at the moment they don’t have the parts…. Who knows what’s true or not … just sharing …

STRO: look at post #16,569 by Donjo a few pages back about the whole 5-7 seat MXP issue. If anyone can figure it out i think you can...'I Think we should all be calling that SA`Need that persons name & phone#.... Does that deal seem overly generous & unfair considering everything ? ....... Must be a employe discount or family ???
Just read it and I took as it reads:

If you want to keep your Plaid order, you select option 1 and you'll be upgraded to a six seater at no extra cost (if you haven't previously agreed to an upgrade unfortunately).

If you don't want the Plaid and MUST have 5 seats, well... you're SOL. You can switch your order to an LR version by changing your order and be placed at the back of the line. Good luck, thanks, bye!

Really, really, really shitty. Plaid people should NOT be placed at the back of the line for Tesla's last minute change.

I spoke to a guy in Fremont today as well who said they have a lot more motors for the plaid variant than the regular motors and this is why we are seeing a wave of plaids… he also said LR to Plaid order volume is 50 to 1 and that the backlog of LR orders therefore dwarfs that of the Plaid. They would love to produce more LR than Plaid but at the moment they don’t have the parts…. Who knows what’s true or not … just sharing …
I have a neighbor working at the Fremont production line who I didn't like much for some reason. He lives in one of the apartment units down the road. This is the 2nd time I saw him years living here, I happened to see him smoking nearby so I talked to him to see if I can find out more information. I didn't want to do it but I'm so tired of waiting. He told me that they are not making any 5 seats so far. Only 6 seats are made right now. All the plaid x are going to be 6 seats only. I asked him if they are going to produce more than 5 seats soon. He couldn't confirm that. He told me pretty much he does not see any 5 seats in the factory but they do plan to ramp up the production. I also asked him why is the quality so bad, he laughed. he told me that a lot of people get injured at the factory. I'm not sure how getting injured is related to the quality of the car, but I'm guessing he is being sarcastic about the tesla factory.

I live 30 minutes from fremont, 20 mins from Colma, Ca. and the car VIN assigned to me is still waiting for transit lol
Got my VIN on 12/27, and took delivery on 12/30 in Corte Madera. Didn't expect it to show up until Feb. XLR, Dark Grey, FSD, 6 seats, 20" wheels. Love this car! Yoke takes a few days to adjust to, as well as automatic braking. Plenty fast enough for me and handling is superb. Holding off on using autopilot until I get used to driving manually.

Elon Musk himself tweeted that it'll only be offered in 6 seats. However, I'm praying you guys get the 5/7 seat configs you asked for. But we've seen multiple people say they got email/text from their SAs letting them know they're being upgraded to 6 seats for no additional fees. So we shall see what happens.
Had to pay to upgrade to 6 seats on my LR order. Happy to say I took delivery on 12/30 in NorCal.

I have a neighbor working at the Fremont production line who I didn't like much for some reason. He lives in one of the apartment units down the road. This is the 2nd time I saw him years living here, I happened to see him smoking nearby so I talked to him to see if I can find out more information. I didn't want to do it but I'm so tired of waiting. He told me that they are not making any 5 seats so far. Only 6 seats are made right now. All the plaid x are going to be 6 seats only. I asked him if they are going to produce more than 5 seats soon. He couldn't confirm that. He told me pretty much he does not see any 5 seats in the factory but they do plan to ramp up the production. I also asked him why is the quality so bad, he laughed. he told me that a lot of people get injured at the factory. I'm not sure how getting injured is related to the quality of the car, but I'm guessing he is being sarcastic about the tesla factory.
Just took delivery on my LR. Plenty fast enough for me.

This sounds more logical explanation for the delay.

Sounds about right. They had a similar situation with the Performance Y versus non-Performance Y last summer. You could pick up the non-Perf in 12 months or the Perf in 3 months.

I almost bit, but then my back failed up reminded me why I don't want any Y. Even the non-perf was too stiff.

Sounds about right. They had a similar situation with the Performance Y versus non-Performance Y last summer. You could pick up the non-Perf in 12 months or the Perf in 3 months.

I almost bit, but then my back failed up reminded me why I don't want any Y. Even the non-perf was too stiff.
This probably mean that 5 seater order will have to wait for a long time.

Got my car Friday 1/7/22. Apparently the person who was assigned to could not be available to sign paperwork for delivery and it got matched to me w 128miles on odometer when receiving car. It was not washed or pre. Some grass and mild dirt footprint in carpet. The falcon wing door on passenger side had some plastic gap trim issues. Both key fobs did not pair. Already made service appt. Overall car drives nice and the rest of cosmetics issues can and will be solved
oh I'd take this one in a heartbeat. minor stuff. If there were lots of inventory it'd be different, but today.... Congrats!!!

Last edited:
I ordered a white w/ black interior plaid, 20” wheels five seater in June 2021. Got a text today that they are changing me to the six seater at no additional cost.
Ugh yet I ordered in March 2021 the 5 seater plaid black on black and PAID in October after “the call” to a 6 seat with end of 2021 delivery. Still no call and no car or refund for that upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator: