Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X and Model S come off the same line at Fremont.
I think this here is the exact reason why we are all waiting for a single production model X to be made. If the line is the same as the MS line, they are probably going to produce one at a time for efficiency sake. I don’t know if in the past they were able to use a single line to produce both cars simultaneously, but possibly with supply chain issues, running it for one vehicle at a time makes better sense? They probably don’t have enough model X orders to justify closing the model S production.

I think this here is the exact reason why we are all waiting for a single production model X to be made. If the line is the same as the MS line, they are probably going to produce one at a time for efficiency sake. I don’t know if in the past they were able to use a single line to produce both cars simultaneously, but possibly with supply chain issues, running it for one vehicle at a time makes better sense? They probably don’t have enough model X orders to justify closing the model S production.

Except in the last few years X has sold better than S, the Y is more popular than the 3, numerous auto companies are dumping their sedans in favor of crossover SUVs… so I kind of doubt they’re using popularity to justify delaying the X.

I did not do that by design. However, the reality is that the income limitation is going to be the real limiting factor to how much some one can spend on a car. Not sure how many people with a "family income" of $205k can actually be able to afford a $100k car.

Yeah but how often do people buy things they can actually afford? There's a reason why credit is a booming business in the US and there are billions in default every year.

Except in the last few years X has sold better than S, the Y is more popular than the 3, numerous auto companies are dumping their sedans in favor of crossover SUVs… so I kind of doubt they’re using popularity to justify delaying the X.
the S is Elon's baby and all the publicity from the 1.9 second 0-60 and the fastest production car, blah blah blah.... I guess that took precedent. The big family SUV is not as sexy of a product release I guess.

If Model X is a Crossover SUV I wonder why my eyeballs are eye level with all the people in sedans, and my door sills and mirrors are 4-8" lower than the crossovers like Highlander, CX5, Q7, Q5, Escape, Explorer, Equinox, etc. that I pass on the highway and park next to in parking lots. It's almost like it's just a slightly over-inflated Model S. But that can't be right

Yup my November date went blank again. I am curious to see where the September people get pushed out to...... August folks got pushed to December so logic would dictate September -> January... But who knows, at the end of the day I don't think these dates mean anything and they are just systematic estimates or placeholders, until real productions actually starts.

April delivery date missing again too.. did all dates go blank today? I’ll probably get moved to October 2021 👍🏻
Same for me - April 2022 date is now missing. I'll say it again: compared with other automakers, Tesla is great at design but terrible at manufacturing, especially with rolling out new models. This is just the latest example.

I'm still a satisfied owner, but I'm eager to see improvements thanks to competition from Rivian, Lucid and legacy car makers.

Reactions: CDT and jbrowdy