Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My thought for the six seat push is that they out the 2nd row bench for the MX.

Here's why I say that... The MX and MS share a new interior. The 5/7 seat configuration has and row bench. The MS has a second row bench. The new 2nd row bench on the MS has that folks down arm rest with wireless charging that people LOVE... But it isn't a passthrough to the trunk. The MS 2nd row is booked to the floor. The MX 2nd row sits up on risers.
I imagine (and I am fully aware that I may be wrong) that engineering is trying to get the MS seats to work in the MX. In the meantime, the higher margin 6 seat configuration is available, and if they're going to produce anything this quarter, might as well maximize profit.

I would like this to be true, but the latest owners manual indicates 5 and 7 seat bench is unchanged from the prior version. I was hoping for a similar upgrade as the latest S for the second row (as well as a 40/20/40 split for second row, not 60/40).

• Helpful
Reactions: TWENT2
I would like this to be true, but the latest owners manual indicates 5 and 7 seat bench is unchanged from the prior version. I was hoping for a similar upgrade as the latest S for the second row (as well as a 40/20/40 split for second row, not 60/40).
For what it’s worth, I was very specific about this point with the Fremont sales advisor who called me to upgrade to six seat as I did not want to do so if the armrest was coming in the 5 to 7 seat version. He said he was absolutely certain that had nothing to do with the hold up on the 5/7 seat cars. Who knows if he was right.

I would be more interested in Plaid (range being equal) if there were big differences in handling characteristics. Nobody has said much about torque vectoring on MS, but MX will be too sloppy in turns for me to care about the extra power/ speed. LR plenty fast with a sub 4 sec 0-60
Plenty fast sounds like a good way to lose a race.. and all your street cred 😅

Supply and demand and the vast majority of X orders seem to be for the LR — who really wants/needs an extra second acceleration on their SUV? Not nearly as many who do on their sedan. Simple as that.
I took a ride in a MS Plaid and... that acceleration is downright scary and completely unnecessary! It was a shocking experience. Fun as all hell, but shocking and... impractical! Most people who are buying the X are family people who would rarely use that extra boost in acceloration speed. 3.8 seconds is already crazy quick!

I took a ride in a MS Plaid and... that acceleration is downright scary and completely unnecessary! It was a shocking experience. Fun as all hell, but shocking and... impractical! Most people who are buying the X are family people who would rarely use that extra boost in acceloration speed. 3.8 seconds is already crazy quick!
I guess everyone has their own taste for what they like and what is important to them. I bought an LR, but probably would have got the plaid if range was even marginally better instead of being a small deficit. I wouldn’t mind if the LR did 0-60 closer to 3 seconds. If the Rivian is already at 3, why not future proof?

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
This same discussion of “why a plaid” came up on the S waiting room. And it proved a bit useless and frustrating.

Maybe it’s resale value, maybe it’s the same as why did people pay $20k for ludicrous a few years ago. Who cares? Maybe people want to take it to the drag strip.

They are both great cars and also why would someone pay $170k for another 100 miles for a Lucid (over plaid S). Is that 100 miles worth 40k more and slower than a plaid? Driving to Florida from Philly, you may stop 1 additional time.

It’s a Tesla. It’s the best on the market. They aren’t cheap.

Shocking and unnecessary? Yes.

Impractical? No.

I can’t wait to have a 6000lb SUV that can pull off the Plaid architecture!

I guess everyone has their own taste for what they like and what is important to them. I bought an LR, but probably would have got the plaid if range was even marginally better instead of being a small deficit. I wouldn’t mind if the LR did 0-60 closer to 3 seconds. If the Rivian is already at 3, why not future proof?

I hear ya. I can totally appreciate the "bragging rights" idea, especially if you have the money to burn. And if the price difference was only around 10K instead of the 20K it was, I might have gotten the Plaid. As it is, I'm quite happy with a little extra range, which will be much more useful. I also consider that if you use that extra acceleration 100 times, that's still $200 per use. (Realistically, I'd probably use it maybe 20 times in the car's lifetime for about $1000 per use.)

In the real world, you will encounter mostly inferior ICE vehicles. There was a time when I needed my Lexus to blow past some jerky Mustang GT. It performed like a champ. and yet the Lexus is WAY slower than the MS LR. No matter which MX you get, 99% of the time you will be the quickest car on the road.

Last edited:
Plenty fast sounds like a good way to lose a race.. and all your street cred 😅
The LR X will solidify your street cred at the school drop offs against minivans and gas SUVs! It’s tough but just avoid the drag strip on the way home and you’ll be safe!

If you do race an X Plaid be sure to give them the 1 foot rollout so they can get the claimed time. Sorry, couldn’t resist kicking up that old debate! 😂

Why? I would say range. Also to claim the top spot for longest range EVs on the market.
The Model X line was already been down for almost 10 months until it started up recently. There is not a single chance they shut it down in the next year or two IMO. They have demand that clearly is strong as seen in the price rising 15 thousand dollars in just a few months. Not to mention when they do reach their target of over 100k for the S/X combined next year it doesn't seem likely they'll just turn the production off again for a few months and lose the revenue on already high demand cars.