Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
those articles confuse me. These cars are complicated and heavy and need a lot of parts. Sure the battery is a “single part” but it’s every bit as complicated as a simple ICE, just because there aren’t as many moving parts doesn’t mean the builds aren’t labor intensive at some point in the supply chain.

Other than the engine they need just about every other part an ICE car has, and have some parts an ICE car doesn’t have; they have gearboxes and diffs they’re just more compact and less parts intensive in the drive unit. Of course businesses will close when they’ve not diversified beyond one industry if that industry doesn’t need them anymore

Last edited:
s plaid had no price increase until the day before the first deliveries.. I assume the X will be the same… there is no confirmed X plaid delivery that I can find anywhere.. videos or photos (hoping someone can provide some links to prove me wrong) … there is for sure I higher demand for the long range but anyone willing to pay 120 for the plaid because they want the extra motor, HP, and acceleration has the money and will not be tempted to buy the lesser version of the vehicle because of a 10-20k price increase on the X plaid.. those ordering it want the fastest production SUV and will pay for it

Finally received call from Fremont. Declined 6 seater. Ordered 2/13/21. Plaid 22”.
s plaid had no price increase until the day before the first deliveries.. I assume the X will be the same… there is no confirmed X plaid delivery that I can find anywhere.. videos or photos (hoping someone can provide some links to prove me wrong) … there is for sure I higher demand for the long range but anyone willing to pay 120 for the plaid because they want the extra motor, HP, and acceleration has the money and will not be tempted to buy the lesser version of the vehicle because of a 10-20k price increase on the X plaid.. those ordering it want the fastest production SUV and will pay for it
Someone above said a local SA told them a Plaid had been delivered at their location.

No chance whatsoever. There is tremendous cost in restarting a line as is now occurring to get the X and S up and running again. In addition they have a year back log to work through. Switching over to a structural pack would be an even bigger manufacturing shift then what they are going through now. There is no way they are going to shut the line down again for this until they largely work off the backlog, and then extend current technology to larger packs, etc. 4680’s are likely 2 yrs plus for model X but no way it’s happening within the next year… IMHO.
Agreed. For the MY to switch to structural 4680 packs, Tesla is building two new friggin factories! Once they can move production from Fremont to Texas, they can retool Fremont (not sooner). Because there are tens of thousands of orders pending and they cannot waste single minute of production time.
4680s will come to S and X eventually, but not any time soon. They definitely won't be sitting down the newly started line with so many pending orders. The fiscally prudent choice would have been too delay 3 more months of it were really that imminent.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
My thought for the six seat push is that they out the 2nd row bench for the MX.

Here's why I say that... The MX and MS share a new interior. The 5/7 seat configuration has and row bench. The MS has a second row bench. The new 2nd row bench on the MS has that folks down arm rest with wireless charging that people LOVE... But it isn't a passthrough to the trunk. The MS 2nd row is booked to the floor. The MX 2nd row sits up on risers.
I imagine (and I am fully aware that I may be wrong) that engineering is trying to get the MS seats to work in the MX. In the meantime, the higher margin 6 seat configuration is available, and if they're going to produce anything this quarter, might as well maximize profit.

I want it! I mean, I’m doing this for my wife. We cool with that?

• Funny
Reactions: c_v_h and KidsEyeDr
My thought for the six seat push is that they out the 2nd row bench for the MX.

Here's why I say that... The MX and MS share a new interior. The 5/7 seat configuration has and row bench. The MS has a second row bench. The new 2nd row bench on the MS has that folks down arm rest with wireless charging that people LOVE... But it isn't a passthrough to the trunk. The MS 2nd row is booked to the floor. The MX 2nd row sits up on risers.
I imagine (and I am fully aware that I may be wrong) that engineering is trying to get the MS seats to work in the MX. In the meantime, the higher margin 6 seat configuration is available, and if they're going to produce anything this quarter, might as well maximize profit.
Could it be that they had 6seat left over from previous MX? And 5/7 seater needed a whole new SKU and they don't have enough?

A car reservation that turns in to an appreciating investment…. What a time to be alive!

Agree, the Tesla stock I purchased in 2016 that broke through $900 yesterday, and now the new price increase where my $12K price savings (Jan. 26 order) jumped to $17K price savings.
Now even more happy to wait for my 7 seater, declined the 6 seats, need all 7 seats for extended family.

• Love
Reactions: TWENT2
Supply and demand and the vast majority of X orders seem to be for the LR — who really wants/needs an extra second acceleration on their SUV? Not nearly as many who do on their sedan. Simple as that.
I wonder how big the difference is between the X and S in that regard. I see loads of P X’s around where I live in So Cal. For people here, it’s the extra second and the extra flex in the school pickup line haha.

Reactions: Hamilaird