Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am speaking purely aesthetic. If I put my grandma (the "untrained eye" I mentioned) in a Model 3 vs a model S she would be equally impressed with both cars.
(not a side by side comparison, just for instance if I bought one car over the other).

In my opinion the S/X should look more premium than the 3/Y for the price. My thought is that I was disappointed in the "refresh" that made the S/X look less unique and more like the 3/Y.
Did you have a chance to sit in a Model S refresh yet?
I sat in a Plaid, and in my opinion after getting back in our MX 18, the interior and quality feel was vastly different, much more modern and way more use of different textures and materials, and everything felt more tight. Compared to a Y/3 its a big big difference. But is it $61k different, that I dont know. Some features I really like that justify the price difference from a Y to X for me:

- Size, much more spacious and usable third row, bigger frunk and trunk, 3 adults comfortable in middle row.
- Extra IC screen and rear screen for kids
- Yoke (debatable since I haven't tried it yet)
- Cooled seats in front, and heated seats everywhere, including third row
- Automatic doors and Falcon wing doors for convenience (open close all doors from screen)
- Better sound system and active noise cancelling
- Better range (not by much, but given its a much bigger car, Its a plus)
- Panoramic windshield in the front (as the driver this is a plus for me, not so much having it in the back/middle of the car)
- Adaptive Air suspension
- Premium interior (I'm calling it premium based no my experience sitting in the Plaid S)

I sat in a Plaid, and in my opinion after getting back in our MX 18, the interior and quality feel was vastly different, much more modern and way more use of different textures and materials, and everything felt more tight. Compared to a Y/3 its a big big difference. But is it $61k different, that I dont know. Some features I really like that justify the price difference from a Y to X for me:

- Size, much more spacious and usable third row, bigger frunk and trunk, 3 adults comfortable in middle row.
- Automatic doors and Falcon wing doors for convenience (open close all doors from screen)
- Panoramic windshield in the front (as the driver this is a plus for me, not so much having it in the back/middle of the car)
- Premium interior (I'm calling it premium based no my experience sitting in the Plaid S)
I am speaking purely aesthetic.
No doubt those are great features. There are many more beyond that too. I am not hating on it, the X is still my first choice of any car on the market.

I am just expressing my disappointment in that, and as Elon has confirmed, the refresh is a cheaper version of the pre-refresh. (costs less to make). Going from a 2017 X to a 2022 X I had hoped they would enhance the interior and exterior aesthetic instead of making it look closer to the cheaper 3/Y.

Thank you for the comparison. I have never ridden in any of the models except for the pre refreshed model X. So really have nothing to compare and contrast the X to. I just naturally fell in love with it from day 1 and finally was able to to afford one right after the refresh announcement. But took a long time to pull the trigger as it will be the most expensive car I will ever own. Wished I should have placed the order sooner than April, but oh well. And wishing and hoping that it will be everything I expected and more. Just waiting right now......

Also want to take the chance to thank everyone here for making the waiting more enjoyable and educational in all aspects. Hope most of us will receive a huge surprise this Christmas when we are told that our X’s will be delivered on Christmas Day!

Like Oprah used to say, “You get an X! And you get an X! And you get an X!!”

Thank you for the comparison. I have never ridden in any of the models except for the pre refreshed model X. So really have nothing to compare and contrast the X to. I just naturally fell in love with it from day 1 and finally was able to to afford one right after the refresh announcement. But took a long time to pull the trigger as it will be the most expensive car I will ever own. Wished I should have placed the order sooner than April, but oh well. And wishing and hoping that it will be everything I expected and more. Just waiting right now......

Also want to take the chance to thank everyone here for making the waiting more enjoyable and educational in all aspects. Hope most of us will receive a huge surprise this Christmas when we are told that our X’s will be delivered on Christmas Day!

Like Oprah used to say, “You get an X! And you get an X! And you get an X!!”
I would love that, but I'm going to be out of town for Christmas this year, so I'm pulling for an earlier delivery date! Here's to hoping...

Reactions: Niranga
I am speaking purely aesthetic.
No doubt those are great features. There are many more beyond that too. I am not hating on it, the X is still my first choice of any car on the market.

I am just expressing my disappointment in that, and as Elon has confirmed, the refresh is a cheaper version of the pre-refresh. (costs less to make). Going from a 2017 X to a 2022 X I had hoped they would enhance the interior and exterior aesthetic instead of making it look closer to the cheaper 3/Y.
It seems that Elon's statement about cheaper to manufacture leaves too much open to interpretation. I understand his point very differently than you seem to, which sounds like you hear as impacting quality or design. I understood it to mean that they have significantly improved the manufacturing process. That could mean automation, fewer steps to the manufacturing, improvements to the supply chain, enhancements to the software stack to support different silicon, lower QA fixes required, more efficient production planning, etc. It could also mean subjective improvements like the move to non-chrome trim.

Now, I haven't seen the interior except in photos but it doesn't actually look significantly different to me than our 2017 except things like the yoke, center screen, and rear seat screen. I have no idea about materials etc.

Maybe because Tesla didn’t start doing financing in Texas until recently? I bought my Model 3 in Nov 2018 and they were not doing in house financing back then. Did your friends got S or X before that?
I am not a real fan of the Mercedes displays. There are a lot of them and they look stretched horizontally. I prefer something closer to the screen I stare in the office all day.
I agree. I am happy to get rid of all the switches lights chrome and software fits of the Mercedes GLS flight deck and get the new ModelX when it finally appears. The Mercedes MBUX user interface was too complex confusing and inoperable much of the time. The EQ EV version seems to be even more horizontal, overly complex and glitzy, though not as tacky gross as the Caddy EV

This. While I love the Y (as I said), it is on a completely different level than the X, to me.
This is subjective, but to me a major distinguishing feature is the center screen. In the Y it screams “This is a cheap Tesla. It’s totally awesome, but not top end.” (If you call $55K cheap).

Which is why I think the copycat responses by other mfrs to stick a tablet or weird sticking-up strip in their cars actually is ‘the joke’s on them’

I hope Tesla always keeps a top level Model that feels really really premium (and again I’m NOT talking about bling).

Agree here. My plaid is Heaven but I’m biased. The thing is that you’re extra money is going towards the tech in the vehicle which has been verified again and again is WAY ahead of the competition. And my MSP is leaps and bounds ahead of my MP3 which I still own. With other brands (in my opinion) you have nice interiors and flashy exterior but are otherwise lacking in technology. It’s like a pig with makeup on. Who wants that ????????

I pretty much agree with the above..

X feels and behaves way better than the Y. We already own an X and have one on order now.

Test drove the Y with the thought of saving some money. Both the wife and I agreed that we shouldn't downsize. Under the skin, there are a lot of differences between the two cars. Is it worth the extra money? I am not sure, but I am only buying 1 and so we opted to stretch the budget to get the X.