Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just browsing to see what I could find on how many cars the S/X line is producing and then use that to estimate when i might really get my refreshed X. I have noticed that S orders from the summer are just starting to be delivered now. That means it took the S portion of the line 6 months to get through the first 6 months of backlog, which from the chart below might be about 20k vehicles? If the X demand is the same size and the production ramp goes about at the same pace, it might take until late spring to get though all the orders from 2Q 2021 and earlier. If the X demand is larger, well.

I know there are some folks in this thread that are good with numbers? What am I missing? Maybe some of you have lived through these production ramps and have a better idea how this plays out until we get to the lines production capacity?

Attachments

• tesla-model-s-model-x-delivery.jpg
    tesla-model-s-model-x-delivery.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: Elixir
I was just browsing to see what I could find on how many cars the S/X line is producing and then use that to estimate when i might really get my refreshed X. I have noticed that S orders from the summer are just starting to be delivered now. That means it took the S portion of the line 6 months to get through the first 6 months of backlog, which from the chart below might be about 20k vehicles? If the X demand is the same size and the production ramp goes about at the same pace, it might take until late spring to get though all the orders from 2Q 2021 and earlier. If the X demand is larger, well.

I know there are some folks in this thread that are good with numbers? What am I missing? Maybe some of you have lived through these production ramps and have a better idea how this plays out until we get to the lines production capacity?
The X has outsold the S since they hit full production. People want SUVs over sedans.

Not sure what the ratio is, but I see Xs every day on the street and far fewer Ss. It is the same with Model 3 and Y.

Reactions: Hebert
That’s definitely frustrating but I’m just happy and surprised to see they actually responded to your text. I ordered Mar 11, ‘21 and the last time I received a response to a text message was May 9th. Since then it’s been crickets from my SA and every text I’ve sent has gone unanswered. I did receive the 6 seat upgrade call in October but that was from someone in Nevada who has since stopped returning any calls as well.

I actually texted my SA yesterday. He’s always very responsive even though he took a few hours to yesterday instead the usual within 10 minutes. But I guess it doesn’t matter too much if his response was “we have no updates but will reach out once we do”.

Hi all been following the forum for a bit now decided to join after following action:

-Ordered MX Plaid 05/21 black on black 6 seater
-had TBD for a while then January and then February like lots of people
-just missed a call from Tesla 10min ago, called back and they told me they’ll call me back because the person on the line didn’t know what for they were calling me (no note on file)
- the SA told me there was no delivery of MX Plaid in Canada yet but that there was some delivered in CA and other US states
- he told me he had no information on my delivery other than I should expect it in February… for whatever it’s worth

Reactions: Zygote1975
Hi all been following the forum for a bit now decided to join after following action:

-just missed a call from Tesla 10min ago, called back and they told me they’ll call me back because the person on the line didn’t know what for they were calling me (no note on file)
- the SA told me there was no delivery of MX Plaid in Canada yet but that there was some delivered in CA and other US states
- he told me he had no information on my delivery other than I should expect it in February… for whatever it’s worth
The MXP being delivered is a lie. There would be videos all over social media like there was for the MSP.

And welcome!!!! Please fill out your details for better tracking of MX deliveries.

What could be wrong with the LR X? They didn't change that much besides the interior, which is the same as the S interior which they are delivering regularly now, so I don't understand how there could be issues. I understand the Plaid could be delayed as that is new but the regular LR X, what could the issue be?
You need to dig a bit more for info. The exterior is mostly the same. People that have lifted it (the refresh S at least) up say the suspension is totally new. The motors are totally new. The chemistry of the 18560's is diff and amazingly improved. The interior dimensions are the same, but the entire dash and door and window areas are altered. All of the updates in the newer 3 and Y have been incorporated into this new starship. They, more than us, wish it was as simple as you hint at.

Elon literally said (in Jan of 2021)the refresh would be starting deliveries in a few weeks. So what are people supposed to believe and that is right after he also said they are in production. So if that’s not a lie what is it?
Did they not start and stop deliveries, then again start and stop? Obviously if they start deliveries they have expectations that the car is ready, then find out differently, then stop deliveries. And what other company are you hearing that is delivering rock solidly today? Therefore not "lying" as you say. I'd like to hear which ones those are because it would shine a huge light on Tesla alone. I'd love to hear about those truth telling car companies delivering in volume EVMoaOhana, that you know of.

I'm not excusing the poor communication and the dark mystery around what the holdup is, but there is this... It's happened before and with other automakers.

Back in 1992, I decided to buy a sports sedan and chose a Dodge Stealth. The company I worked for used a broker to find and deliver new cars at an excellent price. No need to go to a dealer. I was old school back then and wanted a 5-speed manual transmission, nothing else particularly special, just went for the high end trim. I was promised the car in 3-4 weeks. Dodge had actually contracted with Mitsubishi in Japan to build the thing -- Mitsubishi sold a very similar car called a 3000 something or other, the two companies obviously collaborated. All Dodge did was to slap their logo badge on the trunk. The wait began -- first the expected month, then 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. I tried contacting the broker several times to find out what was going on. The couple of times I reached him on the phone he was vague and basically unhelpful -- I don't think he knew anything either. I finally gave up, looked around and found a Stealth with a 5-speed manual trans on the other side of Atlanta from where I lived, basically in an area that was then cow pastures and farms with a couple of small towns. Gritting my teeth, I went in to the dealership and got the car for $500 over the dealer invoice.

Two months after that, the broker called to proudly announce my new Stealth was on the way from Japan. I informed him that I had given up and purchased one on my own. He muttered some stuff and hung up.

A lady in the credit union told me a few days later that the broker was so upset that he told her he couldn't deal with it and quit the business. "He said, 'I can't do this any more' and told us to find another broker that he was out," she said.

Wow. Tesla's love of mystery is not good, no question about it. But to say they're the only OEM that ever has problems getting cars off the line to customers in a reasonably timely manner is wrong. It happens, even with the Japanese then the colossus of manufacturing cars efficiently.

A little food for thought.

Calling time of death. No shot of getting my X in 2021 really wanted it for business tax write off. I am a huge tesla fan and have invested alot (alot to me) in there stock, and while I am very bullish on the company, I do have to say this experience has made it hard for me to be a fan as a consumer of the company. I do believe they will work this out and once we get deliveries we will all love the car and forget this agony, however there decision process or lack there of is what really is troubling. I dont think the idea to push out february dates was a great idea in December even if that is what they truly belive is a good estimate. I would have been happier checking this forum and wishing for the rest of December and into January. Sure I would have been upset when they pushed it to Feb in January but not as upset as I am seeing February now when I was told I would definately get delivery in 2021.

Reactions: Stro
We are all wondering the same thing. This isn't a production ramp. The S/X line has been there for literally 10 years. There are some different bits and bobs on the latest version but they have done refreshes before and there was never this amount of delay. It has to be supply chain related. There must be some items they are unable to get in the quantities they need. Plus for the Plaids there is some rumored regulatory hurdle that must be crossed.

Based on the flyovers they are still producing cars but X's are stacking up outside waiting on something(s). Then as they receive those somethings they finish the cars and ship them. Hence the cars are dribbling out bit by bit.

We are all wondering the same thing. This isn't a production ramp. The S/X line has been there for literally 10 years. There are some different bits and bobs on the latest version but they have done refreshes before and there was never this amount of delay. It has to be supply chain related. There must be some items they are unable to get in the quantities they need. Plus for the Plaids there is some rumored regulatory hurdle that must be crossed.

Based on the flyovers they are still producing cars but X's are stacking up outside waiting on something(s). Then as they receive those somethings they finish the cars and ship them. Hence the cars are dribbling out bit by bit.
It's probably a cacophony of woes. I've seen reports Tesla has had trouble getting airbags, bench seats for the MX, even USB ports. There are also rumors of problems with the FWD -- that one is a head scratcher because they've been making 'em since 2016, it's not like they're new or the body style has changed significantly. CNBC published a piece within the last couple of days indicating that defective chips have caused failures on Tesla vision cameras that are being fixed as "good will" by service centers. On top of this, Tesla is a company where engineers have the power versus the MBAs/bean counters at legacy OEMs. Engineers love to tinker and there are indications Tesla is still fiddling with the tech and/or design on the MX.

It could be any, all or none of the factors mentioned. Who knows? A year from now the story will get out, but for right now we're in Act 1 of this mystery. There's a body on the floor and nobody knows anything about when, where and why it got there other than the murderer... er, I mean the manufacturer.

I decided to call the fremont number as well and got a very nice lady who told me they see notes on my account from corporate that my particular config matched a VIN but for some reason the vehicle didn't pass inspection therefore subsequently removed. At this point she said the May 22 EDD is accurate until it changes. It could be later or soon depends on how fast Tesla works on resolving the issue they're having. I was just excited to get the car soon but at this point i don't mind waiting until next year.

As for my Solar, I called Tesla regarding my PTO and since I brought it to their attention they're going to do something about it. I've been waiting 6 months for PTO since inspection and I figured they weren't going to do anything until i bug them. So far it's working without PTO so i'll see if they actually do anything because as of right now it works perfectly fine. PTO is such a worthless criteria.
I got my PTO here in Texas faster than their quoted 90 days. After PTO, ONCOR (local power delivery company) came by the house to reprogram my meter. Instantly, my power generation went up 30%. I think the system was software limited before that.

@DelPhonic1
They did not start delivering model S in early feb like they said they would. That’s what I was talking about. As far as other car manufacturers I don’t know why you are bringing that up, I haven’t mentioned any other car company nor am I concerned with other car companies. I’m concerned with the company that told me in Jan that the model S was in production and would be doing deliveries in the next couple weeks with the X a couple months after. That’s the only one I’m concerned about. So question for you, what is your explanation for Tesla saying the S is in PRODUCTION in Jan and deliveries happening Feb 1 when it didn’t do either?