Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Price of trade-in is subtracted from sales price for dealers/Tesla and RI is one of those states so you’ll pay less sales tax (for any trade-in transaction not specific to EVs or Tesla).

But the used car market is so hot right now even taking into account my state’s sales tax (6%), it’s still worth it for me to sell to a dealer/private party since everyone is offering me around $40K for my 2018 M3 Silver, LR, FSD, 50k miles. Tesla was offering me $33.5K last Feb at MX order time. So I canceled the trade-in last week and I’ll probably sell to this dealer since it’s less of a headache.

PS: LOVE RI! I grew up there and

Guess I have some math things going to do lol. Neither one of the quotes cover the loan buy out. 🙄

Reactions: zapparino
Just want to say I didn't get a VIN. Just curious after Vin how long does delivery usually take? If they don't take the Vin back?
Anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks to never. We have seen some on here where they call and say it’s ready next day (probably because someone with the same config couldn’t take delivery or refused). Most on the east coast seem to take about 2 weeks to make the journey and be ready. We have another member or two on here that have had VINs for even longer and they can’t figure out why their car is seemingly stuck at Fremont.

Reactions: BryWay and Stro
I think addresses may have a bit to do with it? Then again, some people are getting delivery in the same general area as long-waiting orders.

Has anybody geographically mapped out locations of deliveries?

Because either
1) Tesla is simply struggling uphill in every way imaginable and doesn’t have the best delivery-management system , or
2) Somebody in Tesla is actually perversely getting a twisted rise out of creating a lopsided delivery experience.

I think the latter is unlikely. But if it is true, there’s usually an identifiable trend or pattern to the psychopath.
I think their must be some long timer SA’s who have developed relationships with the people in the logistics department and are getting some special delivery favors for their best customers.

I'm not seeing that. I still see Jan 23 for LR and Oct 22 for Plaid X.
Those seem to line up with the us dates, you sure it’s not defaulting to the us order page for you?

1641742293416.jpeg

I think it now has become increasingly clear that Tesla is only prioritizing the most expensive configurations of the X, ordered AFTER the prices increases last year.

I don't think there is any hope whatsoever that the 5 seat configuration will be made/shipped any time soon, especially to me here in Canada.

This is extremely disappointing.
Indeed. I wonder if they will keep slow walking pre price increase orders and hope that we eventually cancel in frustration.

Indeed. I wonder if they will keep slow walking pre price increase orders and hope that we eventually cancel in frustration.
I found myself looking at the Rivians this morning, but with no eta there either (and likely a big backlog) Tesla can get away with this for the near term.

Yesterday I was looking to see if there were any Audi Q4 in stock.. seems like decent value.

Have a 2021 3 performance and I’m working from home, just have to drive my wife to/from work. Honestly don’t know why I’m so impatient for the vehicle 🤣.

I found myself looking at the Rivians this morning, but with no eta there either (and likely a big backlog) Tesla can get away with this for the near term.

Yesterday I was looking to see if there were any Audi Q4 in stock.. seems like decent value.

Have a 2021 3 performance and I’m working from home, just have to drive my wife to/from work. Honestly don’t know why I’m so impatient for the vehicle 🤣.
I work from home and have 3 cars that I have a hard time deciding which car to use when I go out, yet I am getting impatient to replace my X 100D with the Plaid X. That car is getting noisy, FWD seals deteriorating, rattling suspension that i just want to get rid of.

Just a speculation...

As I sit here trying comprehend the decisions tesla makes..
From the flyover videos that we have seen for some reason we can see that the MX requires extra attention. They end up in the test track lot or in the detailing building for further/extra attention. Musk has confirmed that the X takes longer to build. The M3/Y however roll right off the production line and into the delivery lot.

This makes me wonder - from a business perspective it is possible Tesla would rather produce 2 MY in the same time it takes to produce one MX (rough numbers for instance).

The profit margin may be higher producing multiple lower cost vehicles in a short period of time than a single high cost vehicle in a longer period of time.

If Tesla is pushing Q4/Q1 delivery numbers it makes sense that they would only produce the Plaid/6-seater (most expensive) as a means to deter the consumer from the less expensive LR & 5/7-seat options. Nothing to do with parts shortages, everything to do with profit margins.
Maybe.
I believe they can make many Ys in the same time it takes to make a single X

I have 2 Rivian R1S on order, a model 3 LR, and Model X Plaid 5 seater...

my Model 3 LR was up since last year...i'm holding out for Plaid or Rivian. The new BMW iX looks very attractive too. Tesla wanted to cancel my 3 reservation as I got it pre-price bump...i'm like look...i'm waiting for my X and it is there as backup. The X date got pushed from November now to Feb now to don't think its going to be built with 5 seats. He was like okay, i'll put it on hold for you a 3rd time

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
Just a speculation...

As I sit here trying comprehend the decisions tesla makes..
From the flyover videos that we have seen for some reason we can see that the MX requires extra attention. They end up in the test track lot or in the detailing building for further/extra attention. Musk has confirmed that the X takes longer to build. The M3/Y however roll right off the production line and into the delivery lot.

This makes me wonder - from a business perspective it is possible Tesla would rather produce 2 MY in the same time it takes to produce one MX (rough numbers for instance).

The profit margin may be higher producing multiple lower cost vehicles in a short period of time than a single high cost vehicle in a longer period of time.

If Tesla is pushing Q4/Q1 delivery numbers it makes sense that they would only produce the Plaid/6-seater (most expensive) as a means to deter the consumer from the less expensive LR & 5/7-seat options. Nothing to do with parts shortages, everything to do with profit margins.
Maybe.
I'm pretty confident my MX Plaid was one of those parked on the dirt patch in the middle of the test track. Even after having been detailed for delivery, there's a LOT of mud splatter in the wheel well lining. The Colma, CA delivery center is completely paved, so the mud had to have come from that spot at Tesla Fremont.

I think it now has become increasingly clear that Tesla is only prioritizing the most expensive configurations of the X, ordered AFTER the prices increases last year.

I don't think there is any hope whatsoever that the 5 seat configuration will be made/shipped any time soon, especially to me here in Canada.

This is extremely disappointing.
Time to create the I Hate Tesla CLUB… but I still want the f-Ing car…

How are the FWD? I notice with the older models, they don’t move with much confidence. Are these a bit more sturdy?
In my experience, yes, they are, but I think that differed from car to car pre-refresh given all the fiddling service centers had to do to satisfy a lot of customers' concerns. I can only compare to my pre-refresh, pre-raven early 2019 Model X P100D, and by comparison my Plaid is MUCH more solid all around.

One other tweak they made re: FWD is the alert sound the door makes when someone attempts to override the auto-height limit reached of an open door. In my 2019, when the door would sense a low ceiling, it'd do what it's supposed to do -- cautiously open enough for access to the back seats, but wouldn't automatically open fully, ostensibly avoiding a collision with the ceiling. When I'd press and hold the open button on the B-pillar the alert sound would go "BEEEEEPPPP" super loud. It always startled passengers unfamiliar with the car. Now the sound is a much more refined, softer beep. It's definitely noticeable, but not from three blocks away. I was happy about that.

Just want to say I didn't get a VIN. Just curious after Vin how long does delivery usually take? If they don't take the Vin back?
Anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks to never. We have seen some on here where they call and say it’s ready next day (probably because someone with the same config couldn’t take delivery or refused). Most on the east coast seem to take about 2 weeks to make the journey and be ready. We have another member or two on here that have had VINs for even longer and they can’t figure out why their car is seemingly stuck at Fremont.
Spot on AFBruin. I received my VIN on New Year's Eve, received a text about it on New Year's Day, and my car was delivered six days after that. As others have said, your mileage (pardon the pun) will vary. I don't think I'd have received my car as quickly as I did if I hadn't followed some advice I found in this forum after my VIN and the 'Delivery Configuration' doc hit my owner portal. I figured if they knew how many miles were on the car and had committed that to documentation (it was 16 for me) then they wouldn't be planning to drive it anymore, so it must be on the delivery lot someplace. I dropped by the delivery center and sure enough I found my car (matched VIN) parked waaayyy behind a bunch of other MXs (about 15-20 of them). So I went inside and told an SA that I found my car on the lot, and inquired about delivery. He said something to the effect of "...oh, it's here! Nice catch! When would you like to schedule delivery?" He had an opening for a delivery appointment the next day, but I had a wall of work meetings on my calendar I couldn't get out of, so I scheduled delivery three days later (Friday 7 January).

So the upshot is it's all luck, and if you stay engaged, you could push your luck a little and get a slightly faster delivery date that could be a few days sooner than they'd have otherwise reached out to you to schedule (once it's actually been handed off to the delivery center).

Lol. I’ll surely miss this thread once this is all over. Feels like we’ve been to war together. Maybe we will need a yearly reunion.
I'll start.

Hi, I'm Trev and I have a Tesla delivery addiction. It has been 30 seconds since I last checked this forum and a whole minute since I last checked my EDD...no change.

I need help.

Maybe next year when we've all got them, we can have a big laugh over it by having a get together. We'll call the event "Tesla Delivered - The Finale".

Aren’t the MYs coming out of production every 20 seconds in China? Maybe we need the Chinese to ‘fix the glitch’ here in America.
Fremont was originally the old GM Nummi plant with its antiquated configs. They probably have some razing and rebuilding in sections to get Fremont to where the newer Chinese plant is. They'll probably try to get parts of Fremont closer to the latest greatest lines in Berlin/Austin. Didn't Musk mention something about trying to change a tire on a moving bus? Give em some time.