Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...or using that space for a powered fridge / freezer like I and others in this forum have been doing. Makes road trips that much more special!
For anyone looking for the fridge - here is a separate thread. Looks great, and there are some great ideas on wiring it!

Nice fit. I've been looking for one,if don't mind me asking- what brand/model#? Photos are they shown in the refresh MX? Thanks Z👍
Thats great! What make/model is that fridge? Hoping to find one that fits perfectly in the space like yours!
Dometic. They specialize in coolers and fridges for boats and RVs.

The pics I included earlier (including them again here at full res) were taken in my 2019 MX P100D. I got the Dometic CFX3 35 powered cooler, and used the included DC cable to plug it into the DC port in the trunk area of my MX. Not only great for road trips, but great for keeping meats and dairy fresh when hitting multiple stores for food shopping. The fit was *absolutely* perfect with mere millimeters of clearance between the side bolstering of the seats and the sides of the fridge, and the height had the added benefit of being a middle armrest / surface for rear passengers.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) the seats in the second row of the refreshed Model X Plaid (not sure about the LR) are fractionally wider than those in my previous MX. The seats themselves are a lot more comfortable, but the sides of the lower portion of the seat have a sort of dihedral to them, flaring outward (into that empty middle space) about half an inch more than the old seats in the previous gen MX. I've included some pics here so you can see the edge of those seats and the way the side bolsters flare a bit. Additionally -- the new rear entertainment / HVAC / cup holder assembly protrudes rearward about an inch further than it did in the previous gen MX (I keep telling everyone Tesla tweaked absolutely everything on the interior). People who have reviewed them online keep saying nothing in the center or rear seat area has changed, but they're just doing an at-a-glance review and don't have the perspective or experience of having lived with the original for three years. But I digress.

I dropped my existing Dometic fridge into the empty space between the center row seats on my new MX Plaid, and while it did fit with a little forcing, I have since decided against keeping it there for two reasons:

1.] It causes the side bolstering of the seats to bunch up a little, causing them to rub against the sides of the fridge when I power them forward for access to the third row, and I'm afraid I'm going to damage them over time.

2.] The fact the entertainment / HVAC / cup holder assembly juts rearward slightly more, and the cup holders have been lowered significantly (under the new display) vs. the old MX, the CFX3 35 fridge is just a little too long for the space now, so when the cup holders are deployed, the fridge handles interfere with the full articulation of the cup holders themselves.

Sooooo I'm stepping down a size. I'm going with the Dometic CFX3 25. It's about 5 inches shorter, which means cupholder action will work flawlessly now; is about 2 inches narrower, which means it'll clear the seats perfectly (as did the CFX3 35 in my 2019 MX P100D), and is about half an inch taller, which makes it an even better elbow rest / surface for rear passengers 👍🏼 I've just ordered and will let everyone know when it arrives. One nuance I should mention is that you must leave Sentry Mode *on* for the fridge to continue to receive power when you've locked the car -- for example when out and about running errands. I don't mind the extra power consumption -- have a big battery, so figured why not use it!

Again -- the first two pics are of the CFX3 35 in my 2019 MX P100D. The third and fourth pics are of the new seats in my MX Plaid. The third pic shows the curve of the side bolstering on the lower cushion. The cushion now flares outward into the empty center area, making the CFX3 35 a tighter fit than before.
IMG_4182.jpeg
IMG_4183.jpeg
IMG_1103.JPG
IMG_1104.JPG

Just got the call offering me 6 seat config for no extra charge. I made a it a point tell him that I would pay extra just to keep the 5 seats and explained all the ways that 6 seats are suboptimal over 5 and 7 configs. He said he really appreciates the feedback and will pass it up. Obviously it's not going to do anything short term but if enough people complain and vote with their wallets after the demand exceeding supply ends, perhaps they'll bring back the other configs.
I have a 5-seat MX plaid order (ordered in April 2021). Yesterday I emailed my SA and asked whether Tesla is still building 5- and 7-sear MXPs, and asked what I can do. He responded with this:

You are correct that the Plaid Model X only comes in a 6-seat configuration now.

If you want to move to this configuration, it’s an additional $6,500 and you can simply select “Edit Design” in your Tesla Account to have this updated accordingly.

Let me know if you have any questions and I’d be happy to help.

I followed up with some questions. I asked about news online I had heard about Tesla offering the 6-seat change at no cost to MXP 5- and 7-seat account holders, and I asked what impact changing my configuration would have on my place in line.

No response.

That’s pretty cool, except I need seven seats. Maybe I could put it in the back? Do you have a model/brand or link to that?
Dometic. Great brand. See my other post up-thread.

The beauty of placing it in the empty spot in the six seat config is access. Everyone in the car has access without having to pull over to open the trunk or frunk to get something out of the fridge / freezer.

And for the roughly 40% of Americans without an iPhone, that doesn't necessarily help to just have CarPlay without Android Auto..
I would bet that Tesla ownership and iPhone ownership correlate quite highly. If it was 80%+ that would not surprise me. But it's never going to convince Tesla to add either CarPlay or Android Auto. Tesla wants to own its entire software stack.

Reactions: Levi. and Wooly1
I have a 5-seat MX plaid order (ordered in April 2021). Yesterday I emailed my SA and asked whether Tesla is still building 5- and 7-sear MXPs, and asked what I can do. He responded with this:

I followed up with some questions. I asked about news online I had heard about Tesla offering the 6-seat change at no cost to MXP 5- and 7-seat account holders, and I asked what impact changing my configuration would have on my place in line.

No response.

I don't think you can ask for it. I think you need to wait for them to reach out to you to offer it. By asking for it, you may have put yourself in a bucket where they're not willing to offer it for free.

BTW, my offer to move to 6 seater for free is NOT yet in writing. It was a phone call, not a text message that can be screen shotted as proof. It could very well be that they want to keep their options open. That said, the DS did reach out to me by text and asked me to call. Maybe I should reply to the text confirmation that based on our conversation, I'm being switched to the 6 seat for not charge?

I don't think you can ask for it. I think you need to wait for them to reach out to you to offer it. By asking for it, you may have put yourself in a bucket where they're not willing to offer it for free.

BTW, my offer to move to 6 seater for free is NOT yet in writing. It was a phone call, not a text message that can be screen shotted as proof. It could very well be that they want to keep their options open. That said, the DS did reach out to me by text and asked me to call. Maybe I should reply to the text confirmation that based on our conversation, I'm being switched to the 6 seat for not charge?
This is so complicated!

I am wondering if they are only reaching out to early orders to offer them that option so they can move the 6 seaters. Knowing they won’t fulfill later orders with 5/7 seats configuration this quarter, they won’t even bother to contact the recent orders because they might actually get to deliver 5/7 Plaid next quarter. Pure speculation.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Just got the call offering me 6 seat config for no extra charge. I made a it a point tell him that I would pay extra just to keep the 5 seats and explained all the ways that 6 seats are suboptimal over 5 and 7 configs. He said he really appreciates the feedback and will pass it up. Obviously it's not going to do anything short term but if enough people complain and vote with their wallets after the demand exceeding supply ends, perhaps they'll bring back the other configs.
I’m waiting for the same call re: my 7 seat plaid order. I’m also wondering if changing colors/wheels will be an option while getting the free upgrade. Anybody know?

I am wondering if they are only reaching out to early orders to offer them that option so they can move the 6 seaters. Knowing they won’t fulfill later orders with 5/7 seats configuration this quarter, they won’t even bother to contact the recent orders because they might actually get to deliver 5/7 Plaid next quarter. Pure speculation.

I only just ordered last week.

Just saw my first refresh MX LR at Tesla Portland on Macadam, white on white 6 seater, it was beautiful! Looked perfect from the outside,inside I could see some weird creases on the front passenger seat just below the headrest, but nothing else that I could see through the window. Alignments both outside and inside looked great. No "worm" on the airbag.
so Portland is getting some love. just not the kind we want.

Reactions: TJPDX
Fremont delivery, 21 miles on MVPA
Wow nice. Congrats! My MVPA shows 60 miles. Still haven’t had anyone contact me yet to schedule delivery at Fremont.
This is relatively good news. It appears the later the builds are the less miles they are being delivered with.

It is still unclear to me why the M3/MY roll straight off the production line straight to the delivery lot, where the MXs head to the test track and endlessly loop around the track until they are eventually delivered with 60 to 100 miles on them.

My thought on this, if they are being delivered with less miles they could be narrowing down on the extra testing required, otherwise allowing a higher throughput of MX to be produced.

Dometic. They specialize in coolers and fridges for boats and RVs.

The pics I included earlier (including them again here at full res) were taken in my 2019 MX P100D. I got the Dometic CFX3 35 powered cooler, and used the included DC cable to plug it into the DC port in the trunk area of my MX. Not only great for road trips, but great for keeping meats and dairy fresh when hitting multiple stores for food shopping. The fit was *absolutely* perfect with mere millimeters of clearance between the side bolstering of the seats and the sides of the fridge, and the height had the added benefit of being a middle armrest / surface for rear passengers.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) the seats in the second row of the refreshed Model X Plaid (not sure about the LR) are fractionally wider than those in my previous MX. The seats themselves are a lot more comfortable, but the sides of the lower portion of the seat have a sort of dihedral to them, flaring outward (into that empty middle space) about half an inch more than the old seats in the previous gen MX. I've included some pics here so you can see the edge of those seats and the way the side bolsters flare a bit. Additionally -- the new rear entertainment / HVAC / cup holder assembly protrudes rearward about an inch further than it did in the previous gen MX (I keep telling everyone Tesla tweaked absolutely everything on the interior). People who have reviewed them online keep saying nothing in the center or rear seat area has changed, but they're just doing an at-a-glance review and don't have the perspective or experience of having lived with the original for three years. But I digress.

I dropped my existing Dometic fridge into the empty space between the center row seats on my new MX Plaid, and while it did fit with a little forcing, I have since decided against keeping it there for two reasons:

1.] It causes the side bolstering of the seats to bunch up a little, causing them to rub against the sides of the fridge when I power them forward for access to the third row, and I'm afraid I'm going to damage them over time.

2.] The fact the entertainment / HVAC / cup holder assembly juts rearward slightly more, and the cup holders have been lowered significantly (under the new display) vs. the old MX, the CFX3 35 fridge is just a little too long for the space now, so when the cup holders are deployed, the fridge handles interfere with the full articulation of the cup holders themselves.

Sooooo I'm stepping down a size. I'm going with the Dometic CFX3 25. It's about 5 inches shorter, which means cupholder action will work flawlessly now; is about 2 inches narrower, which means it'll clear the seats perfectly (as did the CFX3 35 in my 2019 MX P100D), and is about half an inch taller, which makes it an even better elbow rest / surface for rear passengers 👍🏼 I've just ordered and will let everyone know when it arrives. One nuance I should mention is that you must leave Sentry Mode *on* for the fridge to continue to receive power when you've locked the car -- for example when out and about running errands. I don't mind the extra power consumption -- have a big battery, so figured why not use it!

Again -- the first two pics are of the CFX3 35 in my 2019 MX P100D. The third and fourth pics are of the new seats in my MX Plaid. The third pic shows the curve of the side bolstering on the lower cushion. The cushion now flares outward into the empty center area, making the CFX3 35 a tighter fit than before.View attachment 754948View attachment 754949View attachment 754950View attachment 754951
These posts about all the minor details are super helpful. I appreciate you sticking around after getting your vehicle and providing us these insights!

Don't think so, it seems they are only targeting from moving 5/7 to 6. Any other change will charge and get you back in the queue. I may be wrong but this has been the trend.
Good to know but who really knows much of anything anyway, including whoever eventually calls me to make the switch.

I might just cancel anyway because I don’t want 6 seater. If I do, they sure as heck better give me my $250 back even though it’s ‘non-refundable’.

This is relatively good news. It appears the later the builds are the less miles they are being delivered with.

It is still unclear to me why the M3/MY roll straight off the production line straight to the delivery lot, where the MXs head to the test track and endlessly loop around the track until they are eventually delivered with 60 to 100 miles on them.

My thought on this, if they are being delivered with less miles they could be narrowing down on the extra testing required, otherwise allowing a higher throughput of MX to be produced.
My experience is they did not have 60 to 100 miles on them. Those values are placeholders in a Tesla system. My 2018 X listed 70 miles online and I think on one piece of paper. When I picked it up it had 2 or 3 miles.

Reactions: Ferrari ex

No response.
I texted my SA on Monday if I needed to switch my June '21 5-seat MXP to a 6-seater and his response was: "Good morning Brian, your original order is still valid." 🤷‍♂️

• Informative
Reactions: Stro
Good to know but who really knows much of anything anyway, including whoever eventually calls me to make the switch.

I might just cancel anyway because I don’t want 6 seater. If I do, they sure as heck better give me my $250 back even though it’s ‘non-refundable’.
Yep, that's imperative that there is no standard answer you get from anyone when you contact Tesla. Check with your SA before you cancel.