Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heed the wisdom of @Stro. If you don’t have a VIN, your month/range/whatever fiction listed as EDD is precisely that, fiction. I’ve had dates and ranges added and removed at least 4 times over the past 2 weeks. I am currently back to March and I give it no weight until I see a VIN listed.
How is that even possible for a "tech" company? My Plaid order just went from 2/5-2/24 back to October! Are they really that CLUELESS?

Reactions: Zygote1975
Hey all. I’ve waited 369 days for my Tesla to arrive. Tomorrow (Thur) is the big day. This is my first Tesla so any helpful tips on delivery would be appreciated. Anything to really look at? Anything to make sure happens? Can I ask to use their charger there to make sure the charging port works? You know anything you all have for me is appreciated. Once I have it, any questions you all have for me fire away.
Congratulations! Definitely check the Model X Issues thread. I believe they have a current list of issues shared by previous refresh Model X owners. Model X Refresh Issues Thread. And throughout all the excitement you will be experiencing, it would be greatly appreciated if you can inquire about the status of 5/7 seaters? That person may know nothing but still curious what they will respond with. Thanks!

How is that even possible for a "tech" company? My Plaid order just went from 2/5-2/24 back to October! Are they really that CLUELESS?

Did you order the Plaid from late December to mid January? Did you order something other than 6 seats then get upgraded("downgraded") to 6 seats for free?

I have this crazy conspiracy theory that if you ordered in the last month and then you got upgraded for free because of the seat config restrictions, that Tesla may be trying to shock some into canceling their orders. Many who place an order for many months out aren't planning on getting them so fast and many won't even be ready for the following types of reasons:

• Need to sell existing car.
  • Loan approval timeline.
  • Your wrap guy is 3 months out.
  • Your existing lease isn't up and you were ordering based on EDD month to roughly coincide with lease end.
I'm sure I'm missing a bunch. But if I were a company that offered a bunch of $6500 upgrades that I didn't want to in order to keep the contract price agreed upon, and if those orders were originally 10 months out, how many would cancel because they're not ready if I just turned around and said your car would be ready in a week instead of October? Then when you are ready, you re-order but at the new current base price.

Either that or most folks who ordered Plaids in the last year that are on this thread still waiting canceled their orders.

My new updated EDD still says today but I don't have a VIN.

• Informative
Reactions: gglockner
Did you order the Plaid from late December to mid January? Did you order something other than 6 seats then get upgraded("downgraded") to 6 seats for free?

I have this crazy conspiracy theory that if you ordered in the last month and then you got upgraded for free because of the seat config restrictions, that Tesla may be trying to shock some into canceling their orders. Many who place an order for many months out aren't planning on getting them so fast and many won't even be ready for the following types of reasons:

• Need to sell existing car.
  • Loan approval timeline.
  • Your wrap guy is 3 months out.
  • Your existing lease isn't up and you were ordering based on EDD month to roughly coincide with lease end.
I'm sure I'm missing a bunch. But if I were a company that offered a bunch of $6500 upgrades that I didn't want to in order to keep the contract price agreed upon, and if those orders were originally 10 months out, how many would cancel because they're not ready if I just turned around and said your car would be ready in a week instead of October? Then when you are ready, you re-order but at the new current base price.
Ordered new Plaid earlier this month. Like everyone else with LR 5/7 seat orders, the constant lack of information & multiple EDD dates, I'm very frustrated with the entire experience! With all of the Plaid VIN's, it prompted me to place a new order, in an attempt to improve delivery. It was a 6 seat order from the start, so no attempt to get something for nothing!

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
The working theory is that Tesla has a predictive algorithm that tries to forecast when a user’s car will actually become available while they’re waiting for a VIN allocation. It works okay for normal times but obviously the last two years have been pretty far from normal. They’ve kept it off (using the manual “placeholder” months) but have been promising “more accurate” predictions around November.

Seems like they reactivated it recently and it is still unstable hence the flip flops.

Ordered new Plaid earlier this month. Like everyone else with LR 5/7 seat orders, the constant lack of information & multiple EDD dates, I'm very frustrated with the entire experience! With all of the Plaid VIN's, it prompted me to place a new order, in an attempt to improve delivery. It was a 6 seat order from the start, so no attempt to get something for nothing!

I wish mine would go back to October.

• Funny
Reactions: 1pinhigh
Hey all. I’ve waited 369 days for my Tesla to arrive. Tomorrow (Thur) is the big day. This is my first Tesla so any helpful tips on delivery would be appreciated. Anything to really look at? Anything to make sure happens? Can I ask to use their charger there to make sure the charging port works? You know anything you all have for me is appreciated. Once I have it, any questions you all have for me fire away.
Hi @EVMoaOhana Welcome and congrats! There is a Delivery Checklist tab on the MX Order Tracking sheet here:

I think the main thing is to try not to get over-excited and overlook things because you have waited so long and you just want to drive the car. You will probably have the car longer than you waited so take the time and get a good one. SCs can fix a lot but they have limits.

The car should be charged before you get there and they are supposed to verify supercharging as well prior to delivery.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
If the factory is running under capacity due to supply chain woes, wouldn't you think product quality would be exceptionally good? I mean, everyone has a little bit more time to make sure everything is just right... So, why are we hearing about so much crappy stuff? Is that just the small clan that is here on the forum, or????
IMO, the factory is still cranking out cars as fast as they can, but the cars are stacking up outside waiting for whatever parts are supply constrained. The idea being that whenever those parts come in, they will be quickly installed in the cars waiting outside and shipped. It's also possible that the "supply chain woes" are getting trucks to deliver the completed vehicles. This would explain the large number of Fremont deliveries and Fremont cars being delivered to people who ordered much later than other people outside of the Bay Area. If Tesla doesn't think they can get a truck in a reasonable time they go ahead and match up someone local so they can book the delivery/revenue.

Changed to Jan 25 to Jan 29 last night
Today, got a text to confirm delivery on Jan 26, 12PM
Took delivery yesterday.
It went smoothly. After all the horrible stories about deliveries, we don't find any major issues.
The driving is amazing.
FSD is crazy, it stopped in the middle of the road, but it might take some time to adjust.
Yoke is cool, but it really hard and dangerous to do a big turn -- I am so getting used to driving using one hand.

Thanks to everybody in this forum, it was very helpful and supportive during the journey.
Hope you are getting cars soon.

Yoke is cool, but it really hard and dangerous to do a big turn -- I am so getting used to driving using one hand.
I have one of these cars on order, but I'm still counting down the days until the yoke is identified as a cause to a fatal crash.

Not looking forward to the "getting used to it" phase. Genuinely see this as the worst aspect of the X.

And throughout all the excitement you will be experiencing, it would be greatly appreciated if you can inquire about the status of 5/7 seaters? That person may know nothing but still curious what they will respond with. Thanks!
Meh. Based on this forum, any "answer" about 5/7 seaters would be meaningless. Until a refreshed 5 or 7-seat is seen in the wild, I do not believe any availability info from a Tesla booster employee, not even Elon himself.