Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too wish Tesla would go back to a normal steering wheel. If it’s not broke, don’t fix it.
Actually, IMO it IS broke. The steering wheel blocks the clear view of the instrument cluster. I am glad Tesla addressed the problem in this fashion, and I can't wait to get mine. Toyota addressed the problem by moving the instrument cluster to the center on many of their cars, similar to the Model 3. In any event, being able to see the IC is a great improvement.

For those of you new to Tesla, please know the difference between FSD & Autopilot. When you get your new baby, you will most likely be using Autopilot, not FSD. You have to 'opt in' via your center console to gain access to FSD. This is assuming you paid for it. Once you do this, you'll be tracked on your driving habits and you'll be able to see your score. I believe the current cutoff is 97. So if you can keep 97 or better for a week or two, you will be granted access to FSD and it will be a downloadable update for your car. Once it downloads, you will need to enable it on your center console along with visualizations, settings, etc.

Just want to make sure you guys know the difference and know what to expect.

Actually, IMO it IS broke. The steering wheel blocks the clear view of the instrument cluster. I am glad Tesla addressed the problem in this fashion, and I can't wait to get mine. Toyota addressed the problem by moving the instrument cluster to the center on many of their cars, similar to the Model 3. In any event, being able to see the IC is a great improvement.
Hasn't that been the case ever since padded steering wheels were introduced (1970s?) plus front airbags (1990s?). In other words, this hasn't been an issue for the last 30 years or so.

Hasn't that been the case ever since padded steering wheels were introduced (1970s?) and made worse by airbags (1990s?). In other words, this hasn't been an issue for the last 30 years or so.
Steering wheels have gotten smaller over the years, while the information displayed has increased. In my current X, I am always straining to see the Hill Hold indicator. It is just covered up, where I would prefer the wheel to be positioned. I generally grip the wheel on the bottom, especially if road tripping. So I expect the yoke to be very easy to adapt to. Now, I don't have one yet, so technically the jury is still out, but I cannot imagine strongly liking it. My EDD is March, but I'll believe it when I see it (LR 5 passenger).

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaos_X and Elixir
Took delivery yesterday.
It went smoothly. After all the horrible stories about deliveries, we don't find any major issues.
The driving is amazing.
FSD is crazy, it stopped in the middle of the road, but it might take some time to adjust.
Yoke is cool, but it really hard and dangerous to do a big turn -- I am so getting used to driving using one hand.

Thanks to everybody in this forum, it was very helpful and supportive during the journey.
Hope you are getting cars soon.
Like stro said above you weren't on FSD. You were on autopilot which isn't for city streets. You need to opt into beta, have at least 1 week good driving history (safety score above 97) and maybe then Uncle Elon and crew will bless you with a software update to get FSD.

Since I have had time to think about my choices on my MX configuration. I am second guessing purchasing FSD and just moving to the subscription for road trip, etc. I ordered the MX LR before the price increases, if I click the Remove Full Self-Driving button is that going to increase the price or delay delivery any further (if that is possible)?
I had the same issue - You don't lose your current pricing on the car. I removed the FSD on my MX LR that I ordered 6/21 so we had the lower price locked in and it stayed at that price after hitting the "remove FSD" button minus the 10k for the FSD. It also didn't change my EDD. You will see many different opinions on FSD. I personally don't think it's worth 12K or the 10K that I originally had on there. I have FSD right now on my M3 LR. I'm not part of the Beta program, but the promises that have been made about how good FSD will be just hasn't happened. The features that are currently available are not worth it. The summon feature for me has been very unreliable. It has worked well a few times and is pretty cool when it does work. The standard autopilot is plenty good enough for a road trip. You can always purchase the FSD later if that's something you feel is worth it. My advice is put the 10K in tesla stock and then if FSD really develops into something then purchase.

2.5 weeks from my EDD becoming April. Didn’t need any Dojo computer or Data Science degree to predict this.
The only update we really see from Tesla is the change in EDD. At least they are communicating Monthly once🤣🤣🤣. By now, I believe that there is no TESLA team to do EDD prediction. It's just a scheduled script written by an intern.😆

So my EDD just went from October to Tomorrow (but no VIN). WTF!!!????? If it was really tomorrow or in the next month, I'd have to punt. I placed my order expecting it to be at least 6 months given that it said October.

Are there tons of cancellations due to the seat config restriction? I don't believe it for a second. Even if there were cancellations, there will be thousands of orders ahead of mine placed on 12/31 and there very few Plaids in the wild right now. Almost nothing on youtube yet. Can I push the order and say I'm not ready yet?
This is my hope in my 2nd order for a Plaid that lists October. C'mon, Tomorrow!!! C'Mon!!!!

Reactions: UCF3
Heed the wisdom of @Stro. If you don’t have a VIN, your month/range/whatever fiction listed as EDD is precisely that, fiction. I’ve had dates and ranges added and removed at least 4 times over the past 2 weeks. I am currently back to March and I give it no weight until I see a VIN listed.
Unfortunately, even having a VIN doesn’t help that much! I got a VIN over a week ago and was told the car was getting loaded onto a carrier the next day. Since then, my X is apparently still just sitting at the factory, and estimated delivery date has already been pushed back a week. Before I got a VIN, my SA kept saying that once I got one, it’s usually just 1-3 days until delivery. Now he’s back to the usual line of delivery dates are just an estimate.

VIN received for my Plaid Model X just now with a delivery window of Feb 13-Feb 16....I am not keeping this vehicle. I am waiting on my LR to keep so if anyone is tired of waiting and can make their way to Nashville for Delivery transfer the day of the delivery then let me know and I will sell it to you. I have White on White with FSD that can be had or taken off if needed. I will have it at the old 10k price if you want it instead of the current 12K. I am selling this for 5k over my Price. I have current Teslas on my account so I see no way but to buy the car and then immediately sell it to you on the spot in Nashville

Took delivery yesterday.
It went smoothly. After all the horrible stories about deliveries, we don't find any major issues.
The driving is amazing.
FSD is crazy, it stopped in the middle of the road, but it might take some time to adjust.
Yoke is cool, but it really hard and dangerous to do a big turn -- I am so getting used to driving using one hand.

Thanks to everybody in this forum, it was very helpful and supportive during the journey.
Hope you are getting cars soon.
Please report back after 3 weeks of using the yoke and how you feel. Thanks!