Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

So picked up the car yesterday. It was a bit of a circus to start off with. Delivery was scheduled at noon at the factory, then 4pm. Requested 5, so they moved me to 5pm. Get there at 5:45 and they said the car isn’t ready yet and it’ll be ready at 7pm. Had someone take me there to get the car so had to wait at the delivery center and couldn’t leave.

6:50pm and it comes to the main lot in front of the showroom. About 5 people are cleaning the car once it’s parked and put the paper license plate and frame on the car. I asked the person that was part of the delivery team and they stated no production has started on 5 & 7 seaters yet.

It was dark, so couldn’t really inspect it until today. The drive home was amazing. Super smooth, no noise, and glides along the road. Sound system is phenomenal.

Went out and inspected mostly the trim and followed the checklist (thank you for compiling that guys!) Already put the Tesla front floor mats in.

Unfortunately, found one main issue. The FWD is rubbing against the trim/paint of the left side. (Attached photo) so I scheduled a service appointment. Disappointed there.

Another thing is, the passenger side doors don’t open when you press them unless other doors are unlocked. Is that common?

I’ve been here since around page 100 and made my first post around page 140-150. Thank you all so much and wishing everyone a beautiful car delivered to them.

@niogyn if you still want that ride I got you bro! Hope your car is pristine and not one issue!

Almighty @Stro, hope you get a flawless car! Always enjoy your posts, you have a great personality.

Take care everyone!

I will take you up on the joy ride if my delivery date for Tuesday doesn’t hold up! Congrats! You ACTUALLY receiving yours gives me hope.

How does it work with home delivery. Can you later reject and they'll come and pick it up? Do you get another chance with a difference car or do they just cancel the order?
Yes, I just called tesla customer service and told them about the issues and that I would like to reject the car. They came by the next day and stealthily picked it up. I was told they would try to find me a new vin/vehicle.

This is when you ask them to reschedule the delivery for the next day. No way on earth am I going to do a night time delivery. I'll miss 90% at night what I'd catch during the day.
Coming soon:

"We at Tesla believe nighttime deliveries are more 'dramatic' and more 'on-brand'. Therefore, all future Model X deliveries will be done between midnight and 4 AM."

Didn't take a screen shot of the previous move from October to late Junuary, but here is for the second move:

Screenshot_20220131-085904_Tesla.jpg
Screenshot_20220210-070344_Tesla.jpg

Again, I ordered on 12/31 and am now apparently skipping the line ahead of Plaid orders as old as a year. Makes it really hard to logistically plan for delivery(lease end, selling car, financing, PPF wrap appointments, etc).

Given this is only happening to some and not many, if I end up getting it 9 months early, and if it doesn't have too many defects, I'll take it and see if I can flip for a small profit and get back into line.

Last edited:
How much variation could there be from one X to the X in the quality of the paint job in terms of flatness vs orange peeling? I would have though they would all be indistinguishable in this regard. Not talking about blemishes due to bumps etc….

At this point I feel like Captain Ahab. Either I'm catching this thing or it's going to bite off my leg with a FWD.
Well, you know if you harpoon it, it's like "you break it, you bought it". Be gentle when aiming at the X. At most, a glancing blow should do. Make sure not to allow the rope to get around your leg - you know what happens next...

How much variation could there be from one X to the X in the quality of the paint job in terms of flatness vs orange peeling? I would have though they would all be indistinguishable in this regard. Not talking about blemishes due to bumps etc….
Can't say for sure, but with this kind of manufacturing it's usually a sign of high turnover, inadequate training, and a workforce that is generally over-subscribed.

Had a long talk with a Tesla guy from Fremont. Seems the 5 Seater Plaid I ordered a year ago is only real in my mind.
Plaid now means Carbon Fiber and 6 Seats. So even though I strongly prefer the 5 seat configuration with extra capacity, I switched. They waived the difference in cost and told me it would arrive next month.
On my app the Delivery date suddenly changed from March to April. Go figure.

Hey guys,

So picked up the car yesterday. It was a bit of a circus to start off with. Delivery was scheduled at noon at the factory, then 4pm. Requested 5, so they moved me to 5pm. Get there at 5:45 and they said the car isn’t ready yet and it’ll be ready at 7pm. Had someone take me there to get the car so had to wait at the delivery center and couldn’t leave.

6:50pm and it comes to the main lot in front of the showroom. About 5 people are cleaning the car once it’s parked and put the paper license plate and frame on the car. I asked the person that was part of the delivery team and they stated no production has started on 5 & 7 seaters yet.

It was dark, so couldn’t really inspect it until today. The drive home was amazing. Super smooth, no noise, and glides along the road. Sound system is phenomenal.

Went out and inspected mostly the trim and followed the checklist (thank you for compiling that guys!) Already put the Tesla front floor mats in.

Unfortunately, found one main issue. The FWD is rubbing against the trim/paint of the left side. (Attached photo) so I scheduled a service appointment. Disappointed there.

Another thing is, the passenger side doors don’t open when you press them unless other doors are unlocked. Is that common?

I’ve been here since around page 100 and made my first post around page 140-150. Thank you all so much and wishing everyone a beautiful car delivered to them.

@niogyn if you still want that ride I got you bro! Hope your car is pristine and not one issue!

Almighty @Stro, hope you get a flawless car! Always enjoy your posts, you have a great personality.

Take care everyone!
Congratulations to you! It’s beautiful!

I am sad to say that my enthusiasm for this car is fading... Too much time is being wasted chasing this thing....

Really sad.
I got to that point earlier in the week. Started thinking about a lesson I learned about suffering. Some say: Suffering = Pain x Resistance. There's going to be pain in life no matter what. But the amount we resist (ie, don't accept things as they are, hope and yearn for something we can't have) dictates how much we suffer.

I am not sure I can virtuously just put this into play and cease all resistance, but a part of my brain just shut off the yearning for a few days. I moved on. Stopped caring about the car. Stopped wondering what was going on in the waiting room. It was mildly liberating. But, there is still a part of me that enjoys the yearning. Just not too much. And, I got curious what you were all up to, so I am back.

About ever 500 pages or so, I wax way too philosophical. Ok. I'm done.

Here she is!

Got my car ceramic coated today - detailers picked up some very, very small, paint blemishes that I hadn't seen (not pictured). Worth getting these fixed by Tesla?
I already have a service appointment coming up for another issue, so I guess I can see if they can address. Nothing major in my opinion, but maybe I'm not discerning enough.

Attachments

• IMG_8269.jpg
    IMG_8269.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_8277.jpg
    IMG_8277.jpg
    738.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_8278.jpg
    IMG_8278.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 100