Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More Rivian drama just now - RJ (owner) backtracking with an email to everyone with a pre-order:

For anyone with a Rivian preorder as of the March 1 pricing announcement, your original configured price will be honored. If you canceled your preorder on or after March 1 and would like to reinstate it, we will restore your original configuration, pricing and delivery timing. Our team will be sending an email in the next few days with more details.

Ha! they must have gotten a huge flurry of cancellations. major backtrack and they are probably going to take a huge hit here. But I'm glad to see they are doing right by their customers and hope this helps them get up and running.... with more competition and choice, we the consumer always win.

I’m with your thinking here, I believe that is accurate only if all possible orders are indeed on the sheet. I’m pretty sure there is a much bigger number of orders not on this sheet from buyers who don’t come to this forum and are aware of the sheet. Believe me I like the math, but we have to assume there are many orders not on that sheet.
My theory exactly! I hope you are right. Our common goal is to let "the ghost of @Stro " move on once many of us 5/7ers are new car owners! Any friendly wagers when the first 5/7 seat VINner is announced on here?

Just came back from Charlotte SC(dropped off my 2017 X for FSD camera upgrade).

I saw 3 Xs(1 plaid and 2 LRs) and all of them had old headlights, taillights and Chargeports(VIN in 333XXX). Based on VINs it looks like it’s pre 2/14 Production. That said, one of the LR’s base price is $105K. So some kind of preference is given to folks who ordered at newer pricing configuration. Probably half and half allocation?

Looks like Rivian and lLucid are in for a world of hurt. I wish nothing but the best for them and hope that they succeed. They are going through what Tesla went through, a 10-year uphill climb, only difference is, Tesla did not have another Tesla around to complete with.
Major walking back by Rivian as of this morning. Got an email from CEO stating they are now going to honor old prices on existing reservations. They will also let you reinstate your order to the prior price if you recently cancelled.

What a Ruh Roh moment for them...

This reminds me of the first Vinner here... the thread was in such a frenzy... split between people who thought it was a fake, others who were so hopeful ..... it came down to the wire.. it wasn't until the day of when he sent pictures from the delivery center that everyone came around.... ooooh man good times.
Man that feels like a lifetime ago. I wonder how long that is in "Model X waiting years"?

View attachment 775966
Okay, so it's looking like delivery is happening TOMORROW!!!!!
My wife just hit the "pay now" button on the app and we're on our way!
Bzzzt, don’t pay until you inspect. You lose all leverage in getting things resolved swiftly. And what would happen if you rejected it, *sugar* happens. Now it could get *sugar*-ier. I take my comment back if you are in one of those states that you have to pay because it’s not allowed to be sold in state.

Nice.. is that TESLA projection? Wow!

Is that part of Matrix headlights or refresh Teslas? I don’t have it on my pre refresh X. If it’s matrix, then I don’t mind waiting for a few more weeks :)
Yes, only Tesla matrix lights can spell out Tesla. This includes the 3 and Ys and now S. Just waiting for it to be released for X. The main benefit isn't the ability to spell Tesla but if you lookup videos of it in application it is pretty cool in rural areas where it essentially has high beam on all the time and beams around oncoming and cars in front of you and can curve around roads much more than current adaptive lights in the X

-20C. I think that's the temperature where the heat pumps have been failing at. I'm concerned that it'll continue with the X, although deliveries in Canada have been postponed until August so hopefully they sort it all out.
Believe heat pump models can "stall" their electric motors to generate enough warmth to make them heat more efficiently at lower temps. Waste heat from the motors while driving is also funneled to the heat pump to make going down the road more efficient. This tends to make the heat pumps more efficient than resistance heating in most all conditions.

Waste motor heat is also routed to warming the batteries. Makes for more efficiency and faster charging on road trips as well.

In 20 below temps, many ICE vehicles will not even start.

I had an air cooled Beetle. Was like driving inside a refridgerator in the Michigan Winters.

Big benefit for EVs is the almost instant heat available in cold weather. Takes many minutes for an ICE vehicle to begin generating sufficient waste heat to warm the interior.

Believe Federal approval was just released a few weeks ago. Tesla has been pushing for these better lights to be approved for some time, so I imagine they will begin installing them as soon as they can be produced and available. This will probably be a running change, with them just showing up as soon as Tesla can provide them.

Next step will be when they get approval to eliminate exterior mirrors and replace them with camera feeds and displays. This will make their cars more aerodynamic to reduce wind noise and drag.

Yeah but Tesla refreshed the Model X and made many improvements... It's not like they raised the price on the same build you had ordered (the model X raven or whatever it was in 2020) it's practically a completely different vehicle.

The equivalent would be if Tesla would have increased prices on current reservations when they increased the price by 15k... But as it stands my Model X reservation is 15K cheaper than if I were to order a new one right now. But you're absolutely right in saying that Tesla is in a position to absorb that hit.. Rivian is not quite there yet so I do sympathize with their situation.... While I love Tesla I do want to see these other EV companies rise up and be successful the more pressure they put on Tesla the better it will be for us the consumer, as it will push them to innovate, improve and lower prices. Competition is good.

Except when Tesla took my order in January 2021, their manufacturing line was shut down and they new they would never honor the price or delivery date which they sold the car to me at. At the time of the order they had multiple model X's in inventory in my area. Had they been honest, I could have considered one of those.

Model upgrades to cars happen all the time. A new unsold car is a depreciating asset. You have to keep it up to date and new otherwise you lose market share (or you have to drop prices and lose margin). Its no different than most markets. Tesla just decided because they hadn't redone things in 10 years they would pass a 10% cost to the end customer, including those whose good faith orders they had taken.

I don't care what other companies do or don't do. Its poor business the way they handled it. They got caught in a lie. This whole model X refresh has been one big lie after another.

I don't know if studioloft takes the weekly snapshot at the beginning or end of the day tomorrow, but we are averaging about 25-30 VINs a week for the past couple weeks. That is about 7.5% of all 6 seat orders from our spreadsheet each week. If Tesla maintains that rate they will hit 100% of 6 seaters VINed in 8 weeks. They are going to have to start making 5\7 seaters soon...

Or strong arm them to 6 seaters like they did the Plaid.

Search your feelings... you know its true. Thats what sucks about this. Because Tesla does not communicate with their customers, we have no choice but to assume they aren't coming, because Tesla will not publicly comment on their commitment to these two configurations and/or when we can realistically expect to see them. Which means the realistic end for most of us is we get a 6 seater "downgrade" and if lucky they won't charge us for it. Basically, our "priority queue" we are in is a "get to the end of the line because Tesla isn't worried about 5/7 until we burn through the 6's, and then your day of reckoning will come".

Reactions: IAMCCF
Sorry to ask repetitive question but did anyone who ordered in 2020 didn't get their cars? I ordered on Dec 2020, white ext/black int 6 seater with 20 inch no FSD originally. Didn't get a single update. Didn't even get TBD status once. I called Tesla and got that stupid "Your EDD says July so you will need to wait" answer all the times... My original sales rep doesn't respond anymore. I just want to know am I the only one who ordered in 2020 with 6 seater didn't get a car nor updates.

Reactions: msjodilynn1
Rivian has 7,500 tax credit, so take that into account. Big negative for Rivian is that they dont have heat pumps...so if you live in a cold area like MA, you might want to think twice. The Rivian is also less efficient...you will be burning a lot more kw/h and without a charging network
I hear ya... It really sucks the way Tesla is abusing its customer who willingly choose them as their vendor for a SUV BEV in 2020 and now forcing us to look else where regardless of the competitions limitations. We are forced to look elsewhere due to the utter lack of communication and clarity as to when our 5/7 seat configurations will be produced or canceled. I want my MX 5 seater, I wanted it for years before I could afford it, but until Tesla releases information, I have little hope it will be build in 2022.

Now of course the remaining fanboys and stockholders will cry out "Just cancel your order already and stop publicly complaining about Tesla! You're hurting the company" ... and my reply is no. I am a customer. I have Tesla Solar and Powerwalls and with a 2020 order for a MX I have the right to publicly voice my complaints and concerns.