Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The longer you wait the less “flawed” the X will be. What is so magical about todays build? Other than the highest rate of goof ups I’ve ever seen from Tesla. I also get a kick out of the fact that people think all is good by scanning the exterior skin of the car.
1. Interest rates are shooting up.
2. It's still a bit of an unknown how many rejections of a refreshed X it takes until you get "bounced" from your order. Many of us already have multiple rejections and have original pricing.
3. This isn't the Model 3. Volumes are low and will always be low. I could see this thing "ramping" for years. You might be waiting forever.

In my case if the car looks good I'm going to take it. I'd rather have a solidly-built X now then the potential of a flawed (or further delayed) X w/ matrix headlights later. I absolutely do want the new headlights, but resign to the fact that there will always be something new rumored to be coming around the corner. Plus there's always a chance that the MX matrix headlights will be delayed, or not come at all (though if I were to bet money I think all builds after July will have them, based on corroborated rumors). And we still don't know if Tesla's current matrix headlights will ever actually be enabled in the US.
This is where I am. I am scheduled for delivery on 5/7. If that car is a good one, I will take it even without matrix headlights. If it is bad shape, I will reject. That will be my second rejection so I will have to take the next car or my order will be cancelled.

As @Smoot said, auto high beams on our 2018 S are horrible. I have zero confidence that Tesla will get the Matrix software right. Yes, I understand that the Matrix lights are still "better" than the current ones even without the Matrix software. But I'm not willing to spend my last rejection just to get them.

Tesla has a policy of continous improvement. Impossible to wait until all the forum announced updates will be on your specific car. Their vehicles will always continue to get better, with improvements being implemented as soon as feasable.
I believed that policy was meaningful until all this comes out about the toxic racism in Fremont.

There may be a policy of continuous improvement, but there is clearly not a culture of continuous improvement nor basic professionalism. The people actually building the cars seem more concerned with protecting their egos than producing the best possible work.

Make no mistake, this culture impacts quality of work. They have priorities over and above doing the best job and that should be unacceptable to management. Yet here we are.

Still the best car available and I'm still taking delivery when it comes (as of now), but it's a hard pill to swallow considering the sorry state of management at the company on nearly every relevant issue.

Virtually everyone getting deliveries now should have the new tail lights (I don't see the benefit myself) and the CCS-sized charge port, but do we know if that port is even adaptable to CCS?

I agree that Tesla should give up on its own connector and switch ASAP though. Just skeptical that those of us with the CCS-sized opening will be able to get a retrofit.
You can see if your specific vehicle supports a CCS upgrade or adapter. Navigate to the More Information for your car. There's an entry about CCS support.

That will be my second rejection so I will have to take the next car or my order will be cancelled.
Is that per your SA or Tesla directly? Or just based on reported policy changes to 3/Y?

My understanding (per my SA) is that they are far more lenient on X/S rejections due to the price point and present ramp period. In fact I've yet to hear of a single order getting canceled (but if anyone knows of one, please share!).

Reactions: bhzmark
"The longer you wait the less “flawed” the X will be" said a wise man back in 2015
even MY's that have been produced for 2 years now come with panel gaps and other issues - agree with @StrayTexel which is why i also took delivery of my 95% "good enough" Plaid.

i don't think future upgrades for the X will be so numerous and make me feel the way i did with my Mar 2020 MYP loll (missed out on the matrix headlights, tails, heated steering wheel, dual panel glass, bioweapon defense mode, center console, etc........) IMO the refresh already is "loaded" enough without the matrix

New charge port enables CCS compatibility. For me, that’s 💯 more useful than matrix headlights, which may not be fully operational in the US anyway due to regulations.

what does that mean exactly? Couldn't you use a CCS adapter with the old port?

I was wondering what the advantage to us was with the new charge port... I get that Tesla wanted to change the design so they can streamline manufacturing and put in a CCS charger for European markets.... But is there any advantage for us in the US? we would still need to use an adapter like always........Or will there be a way to retrofit a CCS charger in to our cars?

? The S visors are like every other car. I’ve had no problem with them.

With the acoustic glass (thicker laminate layer, including side windows) I highly doubt you got a sunburn through the windshield in a Refresh S or X.

Not All Car Windows Protect Against UV Rays
You’re right... I'm lying..... I was exposed to nuclear radiation.
I'm, using Tesla a cover in a never ending quest to destroy the stock price. 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: DelPhonic1 and Stro
what does that mean exactly? Couldn't you use a CCS adapter with the old port?

I was wondering what the advantage to us was with the new charge port... I get that Tesla wanted to change the design so they can streamline manufacturing and put in a CCS charger for European markets.... But is there any advantage for us in the US? we would still need to use an adapter like always........Or will there be a way to retrofit a CCS charger in to our cars?
I don't believe CCS adapter capability has anything to do with the port, but rather the onboard charger, which afaik hasn't changed.