Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a fellow Model 3 owner, could you go into more detail? Yes I'm living vicariously thru you. :)

I'm assuming you have the Premium interior in your Model 3 with the subwoofer?

How does the X put it to shame? Clarity? Volume? Stage? Bass? Did you do any A/B song listens back to back in your 3 and X? What audio source are you using on the X?

It'd be nice if there was a concise website with all the speaker and amp specs for all the Teslas throughout the years. I'm pretty darn impressed with the Model 3 Premium audio. It gets loud enough and the clarity is amazing. I do wish it had just a bit more deep end but I'm a bass head, but also lazy or I would have figured out how to stealth integrated a 10 or 12" that played with with the existing sub. Hopefully I'll like the stock X system 'as is' and not want to fiddle with it. I can dream (<--OCD Tweaker)

Here are some articles comparing the the audio specs

Hello, surfacing back here to report on my car. As someone who spent a lot of time waiting, I understand this may cause envy, but I also understand that it could be good info for folks to look forward to, because I love the car so far.

tl;dr -- the car is amazing. As a first time Tesla driver, I need to figure out the tech/automation but could not be more pleased with the car so far.

Deets:

Driving: The ride is super smooth, and the acceleration is unlike I have seen in any other car before, including the 2019 X I had rented through Turo a few years ago. I felt a bit of a roll in that car, but feel none of that in this 2022 model.

Car quality: There were very minor issues when we picked up the car. Since then, most everything has been great. I like small touches like the felt pad on the outside of the passenger seat seat belt connector so it does not scratch against the side of the console.

Third row: We have teenagers and with the second seats pulled up, two teenagers (~5'8") can easily sit in the third row. It was one of my concerns when we picked up but realized it was because at the time of delivery, the second row was pushed all the way back. Pulling the second row chairs in helped give enough leg room to the third row.

Infotainment: Love the landscape orientation and the default entertainment apps. Wish there were an ESPN+ app but looks like the browser can play ESPN+ videos. I hate that I can't do group texts through the messages app and of course, coming from CarPlay, I miss having easy access to WhatsApp, Teams, etc. Still trying to figure out how to switch FM to the next favorite station using the scroll wheel. Owners manual is a bit light on the entertainment parts of the car.

Doors: Love the auto unlock and auto open of front door. Kids and their friends absolutely love the FWD :) Our left FWD seems to have some type of sensor issues because it always opens very narrow, and I have to override from the pillar button to make it possible for anyone to enter.

Cargo space: We don't carry much "real" cargo, just multiple kids' sports gear and perhaps Costco trips for the usual stuff. While the trunk space looked small when the third row seats are up, I think between the under-board space and the huge frunk space as well as the storage in the front console unit we don't miss any storage space compared to our Highlander. For multiple suitcases and such we will definitely need to fold the third row down but for normal day-to-day use, there is ample space.

Yoke: I got used to the yoke in about 3 days. The complicated part is parking in tight spots in a parking garage or a u-turn in a tight cul-de-sac, but I am used to it now. Turn signals are still a bit of a problem but it's a matter of time. Haven't needed to use wipers but I am assuming like lights they will be automatic.

Homelink: It was easy to set up and I configured it to auto open and close 20ft from the house. The auto open and auto close pieces have been a hit and miss - both have failed multiple times and worked successfully multiple times.

Autopilot: I love the cruise control part quite a lot. I noticed a couple of phantom braking incidents. Navigate on auto pilot missed a lane change today but I think it's because I have it set to request permission and I did not tap anything to confirm the lane change. But in general, even without the FSD beta, driving without full attention has been amazing.

Software: I got an update on day two but I am missing the settings for regenerative braking (maybe it's not an option on X?) and I don't know where the settings are for safety score but perhaps that is only enabled when I request FSD beta? Not sure, because I have not requested it.

Charging: I did some small top off charges at home on 110V but went to a 250kW super charger today and experienced 1000 mi/hr charging speed for a bit and it felt awesome :)

Bottom line: if you are waiting for your car, please know that it is worth the wait. Especially if it is your first Tesla. I am hoping the small issues are fixed soon and am looking for an opportunity to take it for a long road trip.

Hello, surfacing back here to report on my car. As someone who spent a lot of time waiting, I understand this may cause envy, but I also understand that it could be good info for folks to look forward to, because I love the car so far.

tl;dr -- the car is amazing. As a first time Tesla driver, I need to figure out the tech/automation but could not be more pleased with the car so far.

Deets:

Driving: The ride is super smooth, and the acceleration is unlike I have seen in any other car before, including the 2019 X I had rented through Turo a few years ago. I felt a bit of a roll in that car, but feel none of that in this 2022 model.

Car quality: There were very minor issues when we picked up the car. Since then, most everything has been great. I like small touches like the felt pad on the outside of the passenger seat seat belt connector so it does not scratch against the side of the console.

Third row: We have teenagers and with the second seats pulled up, two teenagers (~5'8") can easily sit in the third row. It was one of my concerns when we picked up but realized it was because at the time of delivery, the second row was pushed all the way back. Pulling the second row chairs in helped give enough leg room to the third row.

Infotainment: Love the landscape orientation and the default entertainment apps. Wish there were an ESPN+ app but looks like the browser can play ESPN+ videos. I hate that I can't do group texts through the messages app and of course, coming from CarPlay, I miss having easy access to WhatsApp, Teams, etc. Still trying to figure out how to switch FM to the next favorite station using the scroll wheel. Owners manual is a bit light on the entertainment parts of the car.

Doors: Love the auto unlock and auto open of front door. Kids and their friends absolutely love the FWD :) Our left FWD seems to have some type of sensor issues because it always opens very narrow, and I have to override from the pillar button to make it possible for anyone to enter.

Cargo space: We don't carry much "real" cargo, just multiple kids' sports gear and perhaps Costco trips for the usual stuff. While the trunk space looked small when the third row seats are up, I think between the under-board space and the huge frunk space as well as the storage in the front console unit we don't miss any storage space compared to our Highlander. For multiple suitcases and such we will definitely need to fold the third row down but for normal day-to-day use, there is ample space.

Yoke: I got used to the yoke in about 3 days. The complicated part is parking in tight spots in a parking garage or a u-turn in a tight cul-de-sac, but I am used to it now. Turn signals are still a bit of a problem but it's a matter of time. Haven't needed to use wipers but I am assuming like lights they will be automatic.

Homelink: It was easy to set up and I configured it to auto open and close 20ft from the house. The auto open and auto close pieces have been a hit and miss - both have failed multiple times and worked successfully multiple times.

Autopilot: I love the cruise control part quite a lot. I noticed a couple of phantom braking incidents. Navigate on auto pilot missed a lane change today but I think it's because I have it set to request permission and I did not tap anything to confirm the lane change. But in general, even without the FSD beta, driving without full attention has been amazing.

Software: I got an update on day two but I am missing the settings for regenerative braking (maybe it's not an option on X?) and I don't know where the settings are for safety score but perhaps that is only enabled when I request FSD beta? Not sure, because I have not requested it.

Charging: I did some small top off charges at home on 110V but went to a 250kW super charger today and experienced 1000 mi/hr charging speed for a bit and it felt awesome :)

Bottom line: if you are waiting for your car, please know that it is worth the wait. Especially if it is your first Tesla. I am hoping the small issues are fixed soon and am looking for an opportunity to take it for a long road trip.

Another small bit: I am seeing a battery drain of about 10 miles overnight. Sentry mode is turned off for Home. Anything else that can explain the drain?

Fun fact! SpaceX has built or started building 11 starships since I ordered my Model X!
That's nothing!

There's been 75,460,000 babies procreated and delivered in the 464 days since the refresh was announced and made available for ordering - and that doesn't include all the others that are still on the "production line".

Deets:

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new starship!!
fyi, my stepsons are all taller than me and 6'4 and up. They fight over the 3rd row, since its the one place in any car they or I have ever sat in, where you can stretch your legs fully out between the two seats in the middle row. And we never have moved the 2nd row seats back to allow access to the 3rd row since its so much easier and way quicker to just walk between the middle row into the back.

Also before I was a big car play advocate and railed and railed on user groups about the lack of it. Then I realized after a couple months that I didn't miss car play at all. The current nav and entertainment system is easier and more efficient. Anything I miss I just go bluetooth on the phone and its quick and easy, fwiw.

My car is being delivered to my house on Wednesday, and of course, these two weeks are the worst, work-wise for me to take delivery. But I'll just grin and bear it, and may have my nephew sit in for me and take a look with a list if I can't make it. He turned a job down at Tesla as an engineer so I'm sure he can handle it. It appears QC has gotten better over the last two months, and I've had nothing but great service from the Burbank SC, so I'm less worried about issues than most would be. This day is finally on my horizon! Roberto at delivery says I can do all of the payments and ok's thru the app on delivery day. Wow no 4 hours at the dealership signing paperwork with the gold chained hairy chested clowns? What ever will I do with my free time?

Ordered in Feb of 2022, delivery estimate still showing October but if I ordered NOW the website shows a range of August-October. Any idea when I should realistically expect delivery? Located in Austin, TX. Thanks!
Considering there are folks with Feb 2021 orders on here that are still awaiting delivery I wouldn’t hold your breath 😂

E0AEBF6A-F0E5-4BEC-B4DC-1D2387AA6DE2.jpeg

Is it just me or does the trunk have a privacy/cargo cover in this clip from the instructional videos of the X?

Ahh yes, Plaid. They get First Class priority boarding. Us Long Rangers are in boarding group 9 evidently. Good luck finding any overhead bin space…

Lol we're just missing the part where I can upgrade my boarding to an earlier time for a small fee. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: And we're not necessarily even driving in Economy class... Call MX LR "Premium Economy" or "Extra Legroom".

Edit 2: If only we got priority status for repeat purchases. 😒

Edit 3: Take note Tesla... There are missed revenue opportunities here. :)

Last edited:
Something is up there 🤔 I would lose about 15 miles / 24hrs unplugged in an airport parking lot with Sentry on, checking in the app parodically and in cold weather. (2017 P100D MX)
The latest app is supposed to fix the checking app/draining issue-- the car is supposed to send info to the mothership buffer and the app then only talks to the mothership when starship is 'asleep'.

• Helpful
Reactions: studioloft

Deets:

There are no regen settings or stopping settings any more. Safety Score is only if you opt into beta. Suggest you don’t since they are not allowing folks in and it’s not easy to maintain a high score. I’ve yet to see an X without door sensor issues, so that’s “normal”.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new starship!!
fyi, my stepsons are all taller than me and 6'4 and up. They fight over the 3rd row, since its the one place in any car they or I have ever sat in, where you can stretch your legs fully out between the two seats in the middle row. And we never have moved the 2nd row seats back to allow access to the 3rd row since its so much easier and way quicker to just walk between the middle row into the back.

Also before I was a big car play advocate and railed and railed on user groups about the lack of it. Then I realized after a couple months that I didn't miss car play at all. The current nav and entertainment system is easier and more efficient. Anything I miss I just go bluetooth on the phone and its quick and easy, fwiw.

My car is being delivered to my house on Wednesday, and of course, these two weeks are the worst, work-wise for me to take delivery. But I'll just grin and bear it, and may have my nephew sit in for me and take a look with a list if I can't make it. He turned a job down at Tesla as an engineer so I'm sure he can handle it. It appears QC has gotten better over the last two months, and I've had nothing but great service from the Burbank SC, so I'm less worried about issues than most would be. This day is finally on my horizon! Roberto at delivery says I can do all of the payments and ok's thru the app on delivery day. Wow no 4 hours at the dealership signing paperwork with the gold chained hairy chested clowns? What ever will I do with my free time?
Re: CarPlay I am not quite there yet. Skipping ahead in podcasts (Overcast) using BT is a perceptible time lag from the tap to the actual skip. Waze with the police presence heads up is also an important one I miss esp with the ease to get to 90mph without even realizing it 😀