Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, there have been only like five 7 seater vins on this site and only 3 deliveries...not to downplay your frustrations with delays on your car, completely understand given 15+ month await, but it hasn't exactly been raining 7 seater deliveries. Up until 2 weeks ago, we weren't even sure they were actually going to make any 7 seater configs. I still think 5 and 6 seat orders have a better luck of having VINs this quarter as well. Good luck and I do hope you get your car soon.
totally understand your point and each one of us have our own frustrations. Although i dint explicitly mentioned but my comment to this thread was specific to canadian deliveries as i have not heard a single 6 seater delivered except plaid 6 seater in canada so far but people are getting their VIN's or atleast EDD's for 5 and 7 seaters. On top of that there are some like @TrevTremaine who was promised to change from 7 to 6 in december with a promise of early deliveries and now he is back in line while 7 seaters are getting their edd's . I just hope they prioritize people who have been waiting for a such a long time with no hope of getting even an estimated EDD.

If VIN assignment is THAT random, then it needs a complete rewrite. Quite frankly, I'm not buying any of the BS any more - there is NO system. If someone can order a full year after others, get their vehicles delivered shortly thereafter, then something is clearly broken. Couple that with broken promises time and time again - "We'll prioritize you if you switch to a 6-seater for the added cost" should now be open for fraud under the circumstances.
I think it's all about bunches of internal manufacturing/distribution priorities that we'll never know. All to get as many cars out in that quarter as possible. What ever practices in that chain yield higher volume for that week, then do that. Next week it could be different. All of these take priority over who ordered earliest or should get their car first because it's their 5th Tesla, etc. I wish it was different.

I think it's all about bunches of internal manufacturing/distribution priorities that we'll never know. All to get as many cars out in that quarter as possible. What ever practices in that chain yield higher volume for that week, then do that. Next week it could be different. All of these take priority over who ordered earliest or should get their car first because it's their 5th Tesla, etc. I wish it was different.
Well the thing is, everybody’s like “oh Tesla is so established and huge now.” (And therefore expectations follow)

But the reality is, Tesla is a BLIP. And Tesla realizes this. They are STILL IN an absolute SCRAMBLE growth phase and will be for a long time. Recall Elon’s presentation where he showed total global car sales versus EV sales. A TINY percentage.

Make no mistake: If Tesla as a company were to stall or begin to falter, let alone crumble, traditional auto mfrs would LOVE to backtrack casually on their electrification plans and future generations would be told “the electric car push wasn’t maintainable”

Tesla must accelerate its growth (quite possibly accelerate its acceleration). So while I think that yes improving the Model X delivery schedule is a good goal, it’s a smaller concern than company growth (and by growth I literally mean survival).

As far as I can see, the only significant transferable benefit re: improving Model X delivery logistics would be that working through this challenge could, I trust, be beneficial for delivery logistics planning of higher volume models.

Last edited:

Is there another spread sheet besides this one as I still dont see alot of the names that are "on the spread sheet"​

Model X Order/Delivery Tracking - Google Sheet​

There is. The other Google Sheet is good but it requires you to fill out a lengthy form every time you need to update information and tie it with a gmail account.
Check out this link:

This spreadsheet is open for all to enter & collaborate. It has yielded some great results! There are a few that take advantage of it but enough of us that care to keep the sheet honest and accurate. (Restore version history, fix typos, create cell math for statistics, etc)

I will keep helping it along with everyone else.. One day if Tesla ever catches up with deliveries to be within a month of ordering I will edit-lock it for prosperity :)

Just some general notes about the delivery and the car after having it for 24 hours now.

Home delivery - expect a dirty car... the car arrived covered in dust/dirt on the exterior. The interior was relatively clean, but there are random spots on the seats and other leather parts as if they used a spray to clean it, but didn't fully wipe off droplets and let them dry. There are also some plastic/sticker pieces that they forgot to take off on the inside and outside of the vehicle.

The car itself was almost flawless. A few scratches and one small paint chip + one misaligned door trim piece, but other than this I cannot complain. Personally, I love the swivel screen and have kept it in driver-facing mode since playing with it. The yoke does take getting used to, but it seems really easy after just a few drives. Same for the turn signals and "gear shift". I'm very happy with the car and have already made an appointment with Tesla service regarding my small complaints. Definitely worth the wait and getting it at the original price feels even better.

I kept the sunshade from my 2018 100D. I kept the charger too, but then unfortunately realized I got a new charger with the Plaid.
Good thing you did because the older charger adapters don’t fit the new mobile charger that comes with the Plaid X. I was able to put the new one into my trade and retain the 2016 mobile charger with all of the adapters in my Plaid.

OK. So I missed some of that. The charger adapter is a plug that fits into the receptacle on the rear of the X. Just plug it in. Then there's a fairly thick long cable. Then you have another plug/adapter that attaches to a plug that fits into a 240 volt (or 120 volt) receptacle of some sort. The one I have (came with the 2018 XLR 100d) has a plug that looks like a dryer or electric oven plug. Which parts of these components 'don't fit the new mobile charger'? I expect to hang onto the old charger because it's already installed in my garage.
Also expect to hang onto the sunshade that came with the 2018 X.

What does SA say?
SA says the same thing as he's said a few times previously - they're working on getting it to me as soon as they can, hopefully before August. Nice enough guy, but it's clear that they're limited in knowledge to whatever Tesla HQ feeds them - and that's not much. I feel that Tesla leaves the SAs out to be drawn and quatered by the customers because of that lack of info.

Hi Everyone,

Update from a Canadian order here.

March 14 2021 order date, white 20in 5 seater no fsd.

Can confirm my X is in Kitchener ON, have a VIN and the contact there even sent me a few pictures of it. Pickup next weekend.

Finally happening.

20220516_190757.jpg
20220516_190741.jpg

My May 2021 order just had its first date movement in months. Unfortunately it was in the wrong direction! Had been sitting perpetually at July 2022 like so many, but now it’s a range of Dec 2022 - Apr 2023 😳

Originally a LR 7 seat MSM/cream, I did switch to LR 6 seat white/white a couple of months ago. Not sure if the change is the cause, but if so I never expected it to be so drastic.

I'm not disagreeing with you - it's really a black box to us as well as to many internal staff at Tesla. I get it, but at some point, either Tesla is good to it's word or it's not. I've had other deliveries go well, if not early, but this one has been fueled by internal speculation, guesswork, and whichever way the wind blows thus far. I think that 6 or 7 EDDs shows utter ineptitude and the lack of communication shows contempt. Frankly, the main issue I've got is that Tesla declared, whether verbally or written shouldn't play a factor, that by converting to a 6 seater they would deliver before year end. Now, 5+ months later and another 3 to go and I'm watching that "promise" evaporate as other configurations are delivered.

Couple that to the fact that Tesla Canada has yet to give me my Model S buyout documents some 3 months after final payment is mind boggling - and nobody seems to know what's going on. Nobody has contacted me and frankly, at this point, there is zero faith in anything Tesla says to me. If the competition was up to par (which is slowly coming) I'd walk away in a heartbeat.