Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, again, Folks//

Well, picked up the new Blue Bat today at Renton. (XLR Blue/Black, 20", no FSD). First and foremost - the experience at Renton. On a scale of one to ten it was somewhere above fifteen. Absolutely superlative! Walked in to the office and the manager remembered me from a few days ago. She probably checked the appointment list, but just the same... Gave her the entire package - and she said the car's out there. Take as much time as you need to go over it. Afterwards went in to tell how great the team is. Told her that there were some real horror stories on TMC - she said, not at my store. Truly excellent!

The car was nearly perfect. The associate showed me a reply small paint chip (maybe 1/32" square) that he found. Said they'd pick it up at my convenience. The right FWD would not fully deploy (Did the Model Xmas thing) and he was genuinely surprised. It did fully deploy when the button was a held down. Said to keep an eye on it and they'd take care of it if it still would not deploy. Everything else is fine.

The car - Wow!! In no particular order:

o Very quick. Much more so that my 2018 X. Basically a rocket.

o Sound system is at least an order of magnitude better than the 2018. Really great. Played some music from my USB playlists. Some Neil Diamond (Forever in Blue Jeans) has some great bass. Good clean sound. Some Coasters from way back. A bit of Jazz. Highly impressed.

o. Ride is very quiet. Even on the ratty roads in the Renton area. Seriously great. Sort of got on it heading up to Seattle on I-5. Was hitting 85 before Knew it - nice quiet ride. That's a really ratty road.

o. Seats are much more comfortable that my 2018. By a long shot.

o. Saved the yoke for last. It's basically a nothing burger. Love it. Really had no problems at all. Cruising down the road is a real treat. Like the way it almost sits in my lap. Turn signals took a bit getting used to. Would like to feel some sort of raised icon so I don't have to look down. But I'll get used to it. Like the way they turn off automatically. Horn needs to be relocated.

o. Oh - paint. I'm color blind and blue is one of the colors I see well. Sorta like blue. Headed up to Richmond Beach to my younger son's family. His wife is a colorist. Professional. Really knows her stuff. She looks at the car and says that the paint a much more vibrant color that the 2018. She really liked it.

Got home sorta late tonight and will post some pix tomorrow. Can't overstate how much I like the car. I had to wait for, what, sixteen months? The wait was a worth it. Hope you all have the same sort of experience that I had in Renton.

Bob

Update on my issues that may help anyone else with weird software glitches after delivery. Software update failed so I was afraid I’d be up a creek with all these problems and the hours away from the service center that I live.

Double scroll wheel WHILE pushing brake in reset fixed all problems! I had done double scroll wheel reset multiple times and that didn’t help but saw a random comment about a “hard reboot” by pushing the brake in as well and that seemed to reset whatever demons were in the machine lol.

Blind spot cameras work now, backup camera works perfectly no lag. LTE Internet came on and connected to everything. Mobile app now lets me control everything as expected, view remote sentry cameras live etc.

Was at the service/delivery center today in MA and saw a White/Cream LR 6 seater ready for delivery. Caked in a ton of pollen since we're dealing with clouds the of the stuff daily, but it looked really good otherwise regarding panels and such. Forgot to get the VIN.

Still waiting for a VIN to be assigned to our White/White LR 6 seater.
Passed by on my way running errands so snapped a few photos and get the VIN.

VIN 3436xx

FWDs aren't perfectly aligned, but all else appears good.

Attachments

• PXL_20220605_110131360.jpg
    PXL_20220605_110131360.jpg
    946.4 KB · Views: 125
  • PXL_20220605_110144898.jpg
    PXL_20220605_110144898.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 94
  • PXL_20220605_110155299.jpg
    PXL_20220605_110155299.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 98
  • PXL_20220605_110225219.jpg
    PXL_20220605_110225219.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 95
  • PXL_20220605_110306000.jpg
    PXL_20220605_110306000.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 101
  • PXL_20220605_110314924.jpg
    PXL_20220605_110314924.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 105
I cringed when she slammed the frunk hood. I hope all Tesla owner know that you are suppose to put the hood down gently and then press the hood with both hands down. You can google “close tesla frunk” and you will find many videos on how to do it properly. Or here is from the manual:

All of this could be avoided if Tesla would simply do the right thing and make all the frunks power operated.

Thanks for the info. It’s great to see you back. Are you still unhappy?
Yea. I am. However I got my FWDs finally fixed.

Tell us more!
So far so good. Only complaint is that during turns, if you want to interrupt the yoke, it hurts unlike a normal wheel due to its odd shape (or so the wife claims).

Congrats, @Stro !

If I don’t have FSD beta in my X when I get it (or relatively soon thereafter), I will be VERY VERY sad. It is actually (to me) amazing how much FSD has made the driving experience so much more satisfying.
Elon posted that the number is up to 100k now. So this was a new batch of entries. Not sure how undelivered cars will work but hope you all get in ASAP.

I have ordered and had built 4 Corvettes in the last 17 years. After your order is accepted they have codes that will tell you exactly what status your car is in. @ 1 month before it is actually built you will get a VIN. That will be your VIN. I picked up my 2022 C8 last September Before that I was able to call up GM and get the latest status including the expected build week. You could find out how many were built everyday AND based on your VIN could pretty much calculate what day - within a few hours- Exactly when your car was being built. Prior to my Corvette phase I had ordered and built 4 Ford F350's - all smooth process. Tesla is amateur hour.
It's not that Tesla can't do it like GM or other do. They don't want to. The reason is simple. Ther system will prioritize vehicles and orders based on location etc. Tesla does not build any cars specifically to an order. They build a batch of white cars, first performance, then long range with a combination of interior colors and wheel choices. Then they go to the next color etc. Their system will prioritize delivery location based on being able to get the car to that location to the buyer before the end of quarter. They usually start east and move west as the end of quarter nears as of course it is quicker to deliver to California as the Fremont factory is there. It's all geared towards sales and profit numbers. They are more in control of their sales as all the other car makers as they cut out the middle man. For example, if you ordered a red Model X Plaid in Florida and you are theoretically the one with the earliest reservation waiting for such car and it's 5 days before end of quarter and there is a reservation holder in Fremont that ordered much later the same exact car, the person in Fremont will get the car that should have theoretically been yours because they could not get the car to you in time before quarter end, so they deliver to the customer in Fremont as they can get it there before quarter end.
They have a very sophisticated system in place that prioritizes company results over customer satisfaction. They can do that as the demand is so high and if someone is upset and cancels their order, there will be 10 others that will take that car.

Picked up yesterday. Only one issue with some paint on interior trim. Service appointment already set up to quickly replace. Otherwise perfect condition. In and out of Devon pickup center in under 30 minutes. Already put 150 miles on it coming home, with lots of bugs smashed on front to show for it. Now it sits in garage until Monday, when I take for stealth wrap.

This thing flies. Worth every bit of the 448 days waiting.

Attachments

• 3F63698C-C3D1-4B56-90E4-31E39F05AC9D.jpeg
    3F63698C-C3D1-4B56-90E4-31E39F05AC9D.jpeg
    568.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 41431325-B771-44E9-BB00-22C0C3CA464C.jpeg
    41431325-B771-44E9-BB00-22C0C3CA464C.jpeg
    496.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 295D4525-3086-4AE1-8147-517F28DEA19D.jpeg
    295D4525-3086-4AE1-8147-517F28DEA19D.jpeg
    915.9 KB · Views: 112
So far so good. Only complaint is that during turns, if you want to interrupt the yoke, it hurts unlike a normal wheel due to its odd shape (or so the wife claims).
I struggled with the yoke for a week with the recoil and snapback @Stro-- that is until I finally realized I had to put it in comfort mode, which made a sea change difference for the better and the snapbacks stopped completely. Not sure if this helps. The positioning of the hands and arms with the yoke is quite natural, and since I'm out of town with a loaner, the round wheel feels kind of elementary school in a way. But I love the yoke now and won't go back.
Elon posted that the number is up to 100k now. So this was a new batch of entries. Not sure how undelivered cars will work but hope you all get in ASAP.
Hopefully me too. I miss Beta terribly.

It's not that Tesla can't do it like GM or other do. They don't want to. The reason is simple. Ther system will prioritize vehicles and orders based on location etc. Tesla does not build any cars specifically to an order. They build a batch of white cars, first performance, then long range with a combination of interior colors and wheel choices. Then they go to the next color etc. Their system will prioritize delivery location based on being able to get the car to that location to the buyer before the end of quarter. They usually start east and move west as the end of quarter nears as of course it is quicker to deliver to California as the Fremont factory is there. It's all geared towards sales and profit numbers. They are more in control of their sales as all the other car makers as they cut out the middle man. For example, if you ordered a red Model X Plaid in Florida and you are theoretically the one with the earliest reservation waiting for such car and it's 5 days before end of quarter and there is a reservation holder in Fremont that ordered much later the same exact car, the person in Fremont will get the car that should have theoretically been yours because they could not get the car to you in time before quarter end, so they deliver to the customer in Fremont as they can get it there before quarter end.
They have a very sophisticated system in place that prioritizes company results over customer satisfaction. They can do that as the demand is so high and if someone is upset and cancels their order, there will be 10 others that will take that car.
this. Because it's all about highest volume the quickest way possible. Flood the world with as many EV's as possible is the goal.
I got FSD beta on the refresh X last night! Haven’t been for a drive yet but it’s definitely being released to new Xs.
How many miles on Safety Score did you have?

• Love
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
My EDD just got pushed back a month (was starting June 18th) and the window went from 5 week to 6 week. Looks like I should not expect anything this quarter. My new EDD is now July 14th to August 25th. I was hoping that the new unique date ranges everyone received would be more realistic, but.......

We removed the trade from our XLR about a month ago since we sold it ourself for much more than Tesla was offering including the sales tax savings. As you can see by my signature we are pending a delivery date and have a VIN. This was done about 1.5 weeks before our VIN was assigned.
I had a date range from Jun 4 - Jun 25 for about a week (even same yesterday 6/4). Today 6/5 it changes to Jun 13 - Jul 4 and no vin. So stress.

My EDD just got pushed back a month (was starting June 18th) and the window went from 5 week to 6 week. Looks like I should not expect anything this quarter. My new EDD is now July 14th to August 25th. I was hoping that the new unique date ranges everyone received would be more realistic, but.......
Sorry to hear that. I was hoping the same and now very tired of this game already.

Another data point, my EDD just narrowed from 6 weeks to 5 weeks.

Previously was July 3rd - August 19th. Updated to July 5th - August 9th this morning around 9am ET (when I last checked it).

Hoping it stays right after end-of-quarter push.

Edit: Confused June with July, just hopeful wishing on my part 🥲.

Last edited:
Reactions: richincle
Just curious for the ones that have already accepted delivery. How many are using the predictive shifting? The X is supposed to make an educated guess on Drive vs Reverse based on how the car is positioned and other obstacles and such. I'm just curious if most find it really handy or have turned off that feature. Also, can that feature be part of your driver profile? I kind of like the idea of using it but my wife will probably hate it.
I look at it all of the time (it's on your driving screen)... but it seems to be right only about 50 or 60% of the time.... when it is correct, I just tap on the brakes and go in the direction of the BIG (very big) arrow.

To be clear: errors are mostly in the driveway or in close confined parking situations... If you are parked next to a curb and just expect to go forward, then it will be right...

Tesla has an exceptional IT department... all of the issues you bring up are legitimate, but there is nothing to prevent them from programming in these constraints into their predictive tools to achieve a more reliable delivery estimate...

I mean, if you can't do this, why would you expect to master FSD? A lot more uncertainty and variables are in that problem...