Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a MX LR on 5-10-22 and was given the dreaded 2023 EDD. Not wanting to wait that long I changed my order to Plaid a week later. I was then moved to a June EDD but that only held for 2 weeks until it was moved back to Aug - Sept.

Wanting to see if I could get in on some EOQ action, I placed a second plaid order on 6-10-22 but put Vegas as the delivery location (I live in Minnesota). My thought process is a location closer to the factory might assign a VIN EOQ.

On June 28th I saw on the plaid forum that there was a plaid in Indy that was available. I called the next morning and the SA was quick to match my order. I was excited not only to get my X after only one month but just as much that I had submitted a trade in quote and loan application when I thought delivery was coming in June. Both were very favorable. I just needed to drive to Indy. By Thursday!?!

The day before delivery I had multiple texts from Tesla matching the VIN and confirming the delivery appointment. I thought I was getting a lot of texts b but didn’t think too much about it.

It wasn’t until I looked closer at one of them that gave the pick up address. It was Vegas. That’s right. On my way to Indy I discovered my second order had been matched to a VIN in Vegas. While I had momentarily had TWO plaids ready for delivery I promptly disassociated that VIN and put the order on hold. I was committed to the Indy delivery.

I got into town late but immediately went to the SC in the dark and armed with the light on my phone. I couldn’t find anything wrong with the car. Paint excellent. Gaps excellent. FWD alignment acceptable. Needed to be cleaned but all looked good. I slept well waiting for the next morning delivery.

Delivery was easy. I used Plaid to pay. Turned over the keys to my trade and despite having 5,000 more miles than when the quote was given no questions were asked. The SA had no problem opening the door before accepting delivery. I guess the fact I came 600 miles and just turned in my trade keys convinced him I wasn’t bailing.

I had a 2020 LR so I knew what I was getting but a few observations:

- The interior is vastly improved. Not luxury, but immensely improved.
- It’s much quieter. Double pane glass is a huge help.
- This Plaid is insane. While LR is nothing to scoff at, Plaid makes it feel like an AMC Hornet.
- I thought I really wanted / needed the swivel screen but this Indy car was built the week before it was implemented. I don’t see any need for it.

If you want a fast delivery, order a plaid. I had FSD then switched to EAP. So FSD made no difference. It was the Plaid that got me TWO VINs within 30-45 days of ordering.

I can’t imagine waiting as long as many of those have on this forum. Good luck to all!

I ordered a MX LR on 5-10-22 and was given the dreaded 2023 EDD. Not wanting to wait that long I changed my order to Plaid a week later. I was then moved to a June EDD but that only held for 2 weeks until it was moved back to Aug - Sept.

Wanting to see if I could get in on some EOQ action, I placed a second plaid order on 6-10-22 but put Vegas as the delivery location (I live in Minnesota). My thought process is a location closer to the factory might assign a VIN EOQ.

On June 28th I saw on the plaid forum that there was a plaid in Indy that was available. I called the next morning and the SA was quick to match my order. I was excited not only to get my X after only one month but just as much that I had submitted a trade in quote and loan application when I thought delivery was coming in June. Both were very favorable. I just needed to drive to Indy. By Thursday!?!

The day before delivery I had multiple texts from Tesla matching the VIN and confirming the delivery appointment. I thought I was getting a lot of texts b but didn’t think too much about it.

It wasn’t until I looked closer at one of them that gave the pick up address. It was Vegas. That’s right. On my way to Indy I discovered my second order had been matched to a VIN in Vegas. While I had momentarily had TWO plaids ready for delivery I promptly disassociated that VIN and put the order on hold. I was committed to the Indy delivery.

I got into town late but immediately went to the SC in the dark and armed with the light on my phone. I couldn’t find anything wrong with the car. Paint excellent. Gaps excellent. FWD alignment acceptable. Needed to be cleaned but all looked good. I slept well waiting for the next morning delivery.

Delivery was easy. I used Plaid to pay. Turned over the keys to my trade and despite having 5,000 more miles than when the quote was given no questions were asked. The SA had no problem opening the door before accepting delivery. I guess the fact I came 600 miles and just turned in my trade keys convinced him I wasn’t bailing.

- This Plaid is insane. While LR is nothing to scoff at, Plaid makes it feel like an AMC Hornet.
- I thought I really wanted / needed the swivel screen but this Indy car was built the week before it was implemented. I don’t see any need for it.

If you want a fast delivery, order a plaid. I had FSD then switched to EAP. So FSD made no difference. It was the Plaid that got me TWO VINs within 30-45 days of ordering.

I can’t imagine waiting as long as many of those have on this forum. Good luck to all!
I can feel the air coming out of the forum😆. I will say though ive found a lot worse ways to blow an extra 30 grand.

That is pretty much the treatment everyone gets in Indy. I live about 10 miles from the Indianapolis Service Center, and your experience mirrors mine, except I had paid for it the night before. They pulled it out and told us climb in, "the keys are in the vehicle" take as long as you want, but see if you can can get at least one phone paired up and working. Accepting the vehicle was nearly the last thing I did (IIRC I don't think I could pair my iPhone until I accepted the vehicle, but both my wife and I were inside, figuring things out). I also had a Tesla trade-in, I had no issues with that at all, and I had even drilled through the top of the car to mount a Ham Radio antenna. I just put a cap on the antenna mount. They didn't care if I included the accessories or not.

Now the only thing left is to get back on the FSD Beta wagon. I put in the request, but canceled it after a week with no action, because the car was going into the wrap shop. I get it back tomorrow.

Reactions: bobusn and snappy1
I still think that they have a limited supply of second row captain's chairs and that they're prioritizing them for the Plaid
Yeah that is my suspicion as well. However, they seem to be starting to get inventory plaids which hopefully means they will be cutting back on building those soon. It also seems like they have been trying to work through the 7 seater backlog and that looks like it is almost caught up now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Reactions: timberlights
Yeah that is my suspicion as well. However, they seem to be starting to get inventory plaids which hopefully means they will be cutting back on building those soon. It also seems like they have been trying to work through the 7 seater backlog and that looks like it is almost caught up now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Don’t think they are starting to have inventory plaids. Much more likely they wanted to make sure all plaids in inventory sold before EOQ. They had several inventory MXP’s listed right before the EOQ and none since.

Slightly off topic but I hope still relevant to this thread. Included accessories include the mobile charging connector and the towing kit, and I thought a tire repair kit was also included but it is not. What are you doing for tire repair especially for those of you in remote areas or going on road trips? I see a tire repair sealant on tesla.com but the tesla tire repair kit is unavailable.

EDD jumped forward this morning from 8/14-9/25 to 7/19-8/7 😳 (Plaid, Kansas City)

Having mobile service replace the loose rear spoiler on my MYP on 7/18, this could be close.
Hello brother from another mother. I'm also picking up in KC.

Last movement for me was on the 1st.

Last 3 EDD changes:
6-16: July 9 - July 30
6-23: July 24 - September 4
7-1: July 23 - August 27

Slightly off topic but I hope still relevant to this thread. Included accessories include the mobile charging connector and the towing kit, and I thought a tire repair kit was also included but it is not. What are you doing for tire repair especially for those of you in remote areas or going on road trips? I see a tire repair sealant on tesla.com but the tesla tire repair kit is unavailable.
A tire repair kit comes with Tesla vehicles in a few states by law.

There certainly does seem to be a gap.

Anyone here take delivery of a fresh VIN in the past week? Or have a scheduled delivery of a fresh VIN in the coming week?
Isn't the gap because everything produced until the 30th was delivered in CA and now they are shipping east - hence why dates are now firming up for the east coast customers at start of quarter.

Tesla workers taking a huge break after eoq rush.

Sc was crowded!
KC lot is barren. They deserve a break no doubt. Starting a quarter without deliveries for 2 weeks kinda defeats the purpose of going insane the last 2 weeks though. I suspect something is happening. This was similar to my Y getting front double pane glass and a few other features iirc.

Reactions: 1pinhigh
KC lot is barren. They deserve a break no doubt. Starting a quarter without deliveries for 2 weeks kinda defeats the purpose of going insane the last 2 weeks though. I suspect something is happening. This was similar to my Y getting front double pane glass and a few other features iirc.
I hope you're right! Eventhough I just got my delivery and will miss out, I think those who waited this long deserve something GOOD!

Glad you were able to get your car(s) quickly! But I don't think simply switching to Plaid is a viable option for everyone, heh. It's not an insignificant incremental cost (in my case, $36k incremental).

I already picked up the model x plaid a week,
the yoke is really smooth, I really like it, it is much better than my Y wheel, the only thing I am still not used to is the turn light, sometimes, I want to change the traffic lane, but I still need to think about it. the plaid mode is really fast, I misunderstood that plaid mode needs to warm the battery for a couple of minutes, it does not need that, only needs for the launch control.

it's worth waiting for, a really nice car.
For a Family used car, even is a plaid, 99% of the time use comfort mode. 0-60 7 seconds LOL

1.png
2.png