Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, darn. Really hoping for delivery within the 3yr "free" SC deal window. Most inventory is 22" or out of market and tesla wont transfer (per my texting back and forth with tesla on the order info they sent).
Oh crap. I wouldn’t probably take delivery if I can’t get it within the 3yr free Supercharging window. I know it’s PURELY psychological (worth a few hundred bucks) but dang I really really want that

Glad to share that I called the Fremont factory and got matched to a VIN that has my exact specs (MXP, white, white interior, 22”, and yoke). Only downside is that it was on a transport truck heading to Sacramento. I will gladly take the drive this Sunday just to take delivery.

Coming from a 2020 performance, I can’t wait to see what the refresh has to offer!
Can you speak to this process more? Cold call and ask for a matching vin? :)

Can you speak to this process more? Cold call and ask for a matching vin? :)
Since I had my pick up location set for Fremont, I knew I’d end up taking delivery towards the end of the quarter (experience from Model Y). I called asking how long it typically takes for VIN assignment once there is an estimated delivery time frame. Kris at Tesla said the estimated delivery date is accurate, then she told me hold on to see if there’s anything in inventory. Kris got back on the phone and said there’s one that just got done that matches my exact options, but is allocated to Sacramento.

I asked if I would be able to pick up in Fremont but was told I couldn’t because it’s already on the truck. Called the delivery team after getting paired with the VIN and was told I can pick up as early as tomorrow 05/21/23.

Reactions: efudd
Oh crap. I wouldn’t probably take delivery if I can’t get it within the 3yr free Supercharging window. I know it’s PURELY psychological (worth a few hundred bucks) but dang I really really want that
Definitely wouldn’t have done it if it wasn’t for the 3 years of free unlimited SC. We road trip often and supercharge quite a bit. Our last trip to Disneyland costs us $130 in supercharging from NorCal to SoCal

Reactions: msm859
Plaids are definitely taking longer than long range. I’ve been waiting for VIN for over a month now.
Oh... that's not encouraging. I put in my order for an Ultra Red MX Plaid on Monday 5/22, and like most everyone else, my ETA is showing as "May 2023" and while I know that's a placeholder, I was really hoping that I'd be able to take advantage of the 3-year Supercharger offer. I did have a rep from Tesla reach out to me after the order and they indicated via e-mail that they thought I would see a VIN within 2 weeks...not sure what that correlates to so far as an actualy delivery window, however.

Oh... that's not encouraging. I put in my order for an Ultra Red MX Plaid on Monday 5/22, and like most everyone else, my ETA is showing as "May 2023" and while I know that's a placeholder, I was really hoping that I'd be able to take advantage of the 3-year Supercharger offer. I did have a rep from Tesla reach out to me after the order and they indicated via e-mail that they thought I would see a VIN within 2 weeks...not sure what that correlates to so far as an actualy delivery window, however.
I just got my VIN today finally (ordered 4/16). MXP white/cream. Delivery scheduled 6/8-15 in NJ.

First off - congrats on getting the VIN! You're on the right track now.

It's disappointing that you won't get delivery in time for the Supercharger incentive and that confirms I'll be in the same boat as well... oh well... it would have been nice to have.
Congrats to both of you for the VINs! As @efudd mentioned, the supercharger incentive should still be available to 06/30/2023. Quoting from the website, "Customers who order and take delivery of a new Model S or Model X vehicle between April 20, 2023 and June 30, 2023, are eligible for unlimited three years of free Supercharging on their new vehicle."

Reactions: DisplaySoftDavid
First off - congrats on getting the VIN! You're on the right track now.

It's disappointing that you won't get delivery in time for the Supercharger incentive and that confirms I'll be in the same boat as well... oh well... it would have been nice to have.
Doesn’t matter - I ordered before the price increase, so not eligible for the free supercharger miles.

Reactions: EightBitWhit
Honestly I do some longer drives usually but have yet to SC my X which I got in August. 16k miles so far not 1 minute of SC. If you plan accordingly you rarely need it.

Wholeheartedly disagree. Supercharging is *essential* for longer trips.

If you never leave the ~250 mile radius around your home, sure, it’s possible to not supercharge.

But if you want to drive long distances, it’s absolutely crucial. I’ve done cross country road trips in our X, and they simply wouldn’t be possible without Superchargers, no matter how much planning you do.

Try towing a trailer…. Simply not possible, even locally, without Superchargers.

Wholeheartedly disagree. Supercharging is *essential* for longer trips.

If you never leave the ~250 mile radius around your home, sure, it’s possible to not supercharge.

But if you want to drive long distances, it’s absolutely crucial. I’ve done cross country road trips in our X, and they simply wouldn’t be possible without Superchargers, no matter how much planning you do.

Try towing a trailer…. Simply not possible, even locally, without Superchargers.
Actually I would say a 150 mile radius - you would have to drive 150 miles back. Unless you are going somewhere that has a charger that you are going to spend the night at, you cannot go further than 150 miles (maybe less) from your house without a SC. More importantly I do not understand the fear of using a SC. I have used them a lot. Fortunately in California they are everywhere.

Reactions: dmurphy
Actually I would say a 150 mile radius - you would have to drive 150 miles back. Unless you are going somewhere that has a charger that you are going to spend the night at, you cannot go further than 150 miles (maybe less) from your house without a SC. More importantly I do not understand the fear of using a SC. I have used them a lot. Fortunately in California they are everywhere.

I suppose if one can find other Level 3 charging solutions using CCS or CHAdeMO chargers one can technically road trip without using Superchargers. That’s not how I travel but I know people who do this.

Like you I also fail to understand an aversion to using Superchargers on road trips…???…

Bruce.

EDIT: To tell something Model X related, I’ve road tripped my Palladium Long Range X south to LA and north to Seattle (from the SF Bay Are) and it’s night and day better than my 2015 Model S. Battery capacity and charging speed make this super easy. This car doesn’t have free supercharging like my S but honestly when I’m road tripping I don’t care. Food and lodging cost way more than charging.

Right - I was giving extra credit for having a charger wherever you’re going. But I agree, no idea about the fear of SCs. It’s GOOD for the battery. They like to be exercised, the BMS likes to see wide ranges of voltages and there’s no harm in Supercharging. At all.

Of our three Teslas, the most healthy is the one folks here would consider “abused”. We beat the hell out of it - X-country trips, lots of run downs to low states of charge, long trips towing our camper up and down the east coast (average about 1000wh/mi.). Plenty of Supercharging especially on those trips. (Doesn’t cost me a dime.)

Daily driver wise, my wife keeps the cabin temp in the mid-80s in the winter, high 60s in the summer, we preheat and precool, and charge to 90% daily. Lots of small local driving trips too. Her daily commute is about 10 miles each way.

Basically all the things TMC lore would tell you not to do.

And yet, it’s healthy as a horse. 3 years, 60,000 miles, just under 5% capacity loss at the top end.

My point being, *use the car!*. Drive it. Supercharge it. Run it hard. The hotter and harder you run it, the happier the battery gets.

Attachments

• IMG_3425.png
    IMG_3425.png
    404.7 KB · Views: 71