Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model 3 imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some interesting info on HW4 from greentheonly here, particularly on the camera setup
….
Another take on why USS was removed - contract ran out?

1676535737088.jpeg

Another take on why USS was removed - contract ran out?

View attachment 907772
This has been my assumption all along. The contract was running out and Elon told the devs to have the alternative in place by then. As always, development takes longer than Elon-time and things weren’t ready, so they’ve ended up with a load of cars that fall into the twilight zone of having no USS and no extra cameras. I’m curious to find out how they get around this one, bearing in mind Tesla have promised they will gain the parking sensor features in a software update.

Is they don't release TeslaVision for HW3 cars for parking sensors then that'll be annoying for my wife. None of the other will really matter to her. We aren't paying for FSD as there is none in UK and I doubt any in the 3 years she'll have the car. Yes radar could help with Autosteer but she won't use that either.

As for me, when I drive it I just want to have a blast around in a fast car on some B roads. Seeing as I'm for once not the one with the fast car. My Land Rover has parking sensors, 360 degree cameras and radar for cruise control so I'm all covered for cruising in comfort 😉
Well they have to as they are contractually required too..

Did they put a timeline in the contract for when they need to deliver full FSD for HW3? If not they just need to wait until all FSD HW3 owners have died, the cars are all on the scrap heap and move on.

I applaud you for putting money in to help fund the development of FSD but you cannot at this point still be believing the massive over exaggeration from Elon on this topic. It's amazing how he still gets away with it at this point.

Reactions: CWT3LR and Durzel
Contractually required to, like selling FSD I guess? They never gave a timeline, they could take years to deliver it and would still technically be in compliance, even though it's long after you've sold the car.

As a point of note I'm planning on writing a letter before action to Tesla on the 3 year anniversary of buying my car - and FSD - and it not being delivered in any meaningful way.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
Contractually required to, like selling FSD I guess? They never gave a timeline, they could take years to deliver it and would still technically be in compliance, even though it's long after you've sold the car.

As a point of note I'm planning on writing a letter before action to Tesla on the 3 year anniversary of buying my car - and FSD - and it not being delivered in any meaningful way.
wasnt there a court case with Tesla & timelines where the plaintiff won?

I can see tesla getting into hot water and massive lawsuits in america if they dont do as promised.

Reactions: Durzel and CWT3LR
There's two problems with the above on both USS and FSD.
And your answer is "auto wipers". We don't have a contract which states in detail how well either Vision USS or FSD will work. We might well soon get Vision based USS, but that doesn't mean it'll be any good. Tesla will have done their bit, but there'll be no suing them. Same with FSD over here.

So do you recon the refreshed model 3 will have the yoke?
Even if it doesn't will they move the indicators onto the steering wheel like in the MS?
I live in roundabout central. I think that's me out if they do that.

So they've added the steering wheel back as an option on Model S / X (In countries where you can buy it) so that's a step in the right direction. I don't think I might swiping on the screen for drive selection but the lack of turning signals is a big turn off. Maybe the sales hit on low volume cars like Model S / X is hard to track but if they do this to 3 / Y I suspect they could lose a good amount of sales.

Not saying they won't do it, I think they'd be stupid to do it though.

I don't think I might swiping on the screen for drive selection

I think I would ... I throw the Drive/Reverse stalk often when manoeuvring - moving into car barking bay, turning circle not quite enough, need back-and-fill - throw into R, feathering throttle (initially impacts slowing down rate, then reversing rate), throw into D again, feather throttle again, and into bay.

I've not asked, but I figure that would be hard to do with the "swipe" method ... and in terms of "The car will know whether D or R is needed" ... I doubt it in that particular manoeuvre!

Reactions: CWT3LR
In terms of an interior update, the 3 is reported to be losing the wood trim.

Source: Link
The article references a possible move to a higher level of customisation, eg different trim colours to match different interiors. Wouldn't that imply a need to move to a build-to-order approach, rather than a pick-from-stock approach? Has supply and demand now equalised?

I don't think they'll add in much to any more customisation. It messes with their whole approach of just building lots of cars and matching them to people. When you have lots of different combinations you move to a custom order system like most manufacturers have had. If you look though at companies like Mercedes / BMW the number of options seem to be getting cut down and moving more to packs of options. I suspect they see the advantages of the Tesla way and are looking to simplify their process.
I think I would ... I throw the Drive/Reverse stalk often when manoeuvring - moving into car barking bay, turning circle not quite enough, need back-and-fill - throw into R, feathering throttle (initially impacts slowing down rate, then reversing rate), throw into D again, feather throttle again, and into bay.

I've not asked, but I figure that would be hard to do with the "swipe" method ... and in terms of "The car will know whether D or R is needed" ... I doubt it in that particular manoeuvre!
So from what I've seen when you are stopped with brake pressed it'll appear so then you just swipe on the screen vs using a stick to change. I don't think this is too bad. You are right you wouldn't use the auto direction select here, you can just pick yourself. I believe you can turn off the auto direction select which I suspect I would do, I just don't like that idea to be honest.

It's really the indicators on the wheel that puts me off. Over time you might get used to it and be able to handle it but I don't think could ever say it's better than the solution we had before of just having it on a stalk that doesn't move with the wheel. This didn't need re-inventing. I think the only reason they've done it is they don't make the stalk and buy it in from Mercedes so just less parts to the car overall.