Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model 3 imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lord Farquad

2022 MYLR W/B/20s/Tow bar. Previously 2021 M3SR+
Aug 20, 2021
North West
Looks like Shanghai is having an upgrade to start building an updated Model 3. It’ll be interesting to see if it’s evolutionarily (like the Model s/x) or something more drastic.

Looks like Shanghai is having an upgrade to start building an updated Model 3. It’ll be interesting to see if it’s evolutionarily (like the Model s/x) or something more drastic.

judging by the alleged disguised pictures I would say evolutionary
1676480246750.png

the fact that the head lights are covered has made people think there is a change there like cameras or sensors of some type.
My understanding is cars under disguise like this test running gear etc without revealing the look of the refreshed model. Wouldn't covering lights / cameras / revised sensor locations negate the purpose of the testing?

I doubt the lowest model (3) gets HW4 first, cybertruck and\or S\X, not 3\Y. But like mentioned above, Elon already stated cybertruck will be the first to get HW4.

Probably updated style for new front and rear bumper without USS sensor\holes, maybe camera\sensor in front grill.

If they've changed the exterior I suspect it would be in an effort to reduce the drag CD of 0.23. That was extremely good when it first launched but they could do better now. Model S hits 0.20 on its refresh I think. It's really important as at motorway speeds around 60% of all energy used is just overcoming resistance.

Also wasn't it about improving / reducing manafacturing costs mainly for the refresh. I suspect they've monitored data and realised like lumbar support. Only 2% of people use all the seats so they will be removing one of the rear seats to turn it into a 3 seater to save some costs. They'll blame it on the semiconductor shortage of left rear seat heating chips. Completely different parts from right seat heating chips.

Crikey, that would imply HW4 for model 3 and Y in - what - 2025 at the earliest?
I suspect 2024 at earliest for Model 3. My wife has hers arriving next week and did consider delaying but don't think HW4 is coming soon and then I figured she won't use any self driving anyway so it makes zero difference even if she had HW4.

Be more of a shame at missing out if they manage to do something like reduce the drag from 0.23 as that could add some extra range for nothing. But in the scheme of the distances she mostly will do wouldn't make a big difference.

Always something better coming anyway.

You will be fuming if you've just picked up a car in Q4 that has very quickly become "legacy" while also lacking parking sensors and radar
Is they don't release TeslaVision for HW3 cars for parking sensors then that'll be annoying for my wife. None of the other will really matter to her. We aren't paying for FSD as there is none in UK and I doubt any in the 3 years she'll have the car. Yes radar could help with Autosteer but she won't use that either.

As for me, when I drive it I just want to have a blast around in a fast car on some B roads. Seeing as I'm for once not the one with the fast car. My Land Rover has parking sensors, 360 degree cameras and radar for cruise control so I'm all covered for cruising in comfort 😉