Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S: constant buzzing noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has any one had their SC replace the headlight unit ? Did it solve the problem or make no difference? I have an appt with the Springfield NJ SC for this Saturday to change out the driver's side headlight unit to see if that fixes the buzzing.

Have those of you that have had a headlight replaced had the buzzing happen all the time? I haven't heard this buzzing noise in close to a month now, but I don't spend a lot of time near my car when it's parked. Has anyone found a correlation between if the car is plugged in or not when the buzzing happens? My car is going in to the Service Center next Monday for a list of small issues & I'd like to get this addressed at the same time if it is actually a problem. I'd prefer to minimize my number of trips to the SC and I don't want to waste their time.

Have those of you that have had a headlight replaced had the buzzing happen all the time? I haven't heard this buzzing noise in close to a month now, but I don't spend a lot of time near my car when it's parked. Has anyone found a correlation between if the car is plugged in or not when the buzzing happens? My car is going in to the Service Center next Monday for a list of small issues & I'd like to get this addressed at the same time if it is actually a problem. I'd prefer to minimize my number of trips to the SC and I don't want to waste their time.
I haven't had mine checked out, but it buzzes plugged in or not.

I just dropped mine off to get a front fender panel re-aligned (never noticed it was out until my wrap guy pointed it out), my windshield washer nozzle shoots over my car, and the dreaded noise from the right headlight. I mentioned it to them and they said they will check it but need to hear it to fix anything.. So anyone with the issue, I would suggesting taking video. I guess I will do that next time also. I normally only notice it if I have to go out to my garage for a random tool or something.

Thanks Erik

I too have become the not so proud owner of the passenger side light buzz. Noticed as I was grabbing a tool from garage. Sounds exactly like the vid post. Why on earth is the light (board-ballast) energized while just sitting in the garage locked? Makes no sense unless its a fault/short of some type. o_O Now to call SC and see about replacement. I assume a visit will be required to confirm in their mind that is the issue? I guess I can send a video and maybe prevent the wasted time for the drive by eval? :rolleyes: Also, I might add, that I have noticed almost from day1 the right light is usually slower to come on than the left when the car wakes up as it unlocks. Guess that should have been my first clue that something was a miss. I've already had the left rear tail light assembly replaced as the brake light never worked. The right rear had a lose connector causing some blinking of the brake light and was fixed by firming up the connection. Seems only front left light was delivered happy. I just jinxed it too I suppose. :(

Last edited:
Hi all,

I also have a refreshed MS70. No noise when I bought it.
After 1 month I had the mentionned problem with the top DRL which didn't work anymore. I reported this to the SEC and they asked me to come in and check it. They needed to replace the left (right if you stand in front of it) headlight completely.

Lately I also noticed that the car is making this computer sound all the time when parked (hot, cold, rainy). In the morning when I park it in the garage of the office it is buzzing and in the evening when I leave he/she is still buzzing. Never thought about the headlight. I will check this as I believe that the noise only came after the replacement now that I think about it.
Maybe it is comming from that new headlight?
The car was in the SEC from wednesday till monday for that replacement.

Hi all,

I also have a refreshed MS70. No noise when I bought it.
After 1 month I had the mentionned problem with the top DRL which didn't work anymore. I reported this to the SEC and they asked me to come in and check it. They needed to replace the left (right if you stand in front of it) headlight completely.

Lately I also noticed that the car is making this computer sound all the time when parked (hot, cold, rainy). In the morning when I park it in the garage of the office it is buzzing and in the evening when I leave he/she is still buzzing. Never thought about the headlight. I will check this as I believe that the noise only came after the replacement now that I think about it.
Maybe it is comming from that new headlight?
The car was in the SEC from wednesday till monday for that replacement.
Sounds like the LED ballast for the headlight. I noticed the buzzing noise right away on the right headlight. We had it replaced and then noticed it coming from the left headlight. It's scheduled to be replaced soon.

Reactions: davidc18
One of my lights was louder than the other. The SC only replaced the louder one. They said the other buzzing is normal. The replacement light is completely silent. The next time my car goes in I will push for replacement of the other light.

New new refreshed Model S (delivered in late June) with VIN 145xxx almost always has a buzzing noise, heard loudest near the driver's side front wheel. This is heard after the car is parked, and off/locked for a while. It's NOT the AC and it's not the car waking up when it detects the keyfob (the keyfob is well away from the car).

I realize this is probably the thermal battery management coolant pump but it seems to be running all the time, and even when it's not very hot or cold outside: I've heard it in a parking garage, after a cool summer evening rain with external temps of 16C (60F) in the shade (as in this video). The guys installing my paint protection film in a cool, shaded, airconditioned installation shop commented on it as well.

This noise is definitely more noticeable and more frequent than my original S (VIN 16000's). Thus, I'm no stranger to Teslas, and this is definitely different. I've sent the video to my local SC and they are looking into it, but I thought I'd ask others if their refreshed S's are doing the same thing.

Here's a video. Again, the AC is NOT on and the car is parked, keyfob inside the house and far from the car, 16C outside after a cool rain in the shade:

While I don't really get bothered by the noise, I wonder if it's adding to vampire drain, excess load on the coolant system, or some other issue. It certainly flies in the face of the concept that Teslas are silent cars, and ironic that a Tesla that is off is noisier than an ICE car!

On a related but definitely separate note, I think the AC in this model is also louder than my prior S. The older VIN 16000 S had the AC blanket fix to muffle it, which made a difference, but the newer VIN145xxx refreshed S's AC is quite loud when running.

I absolutely notice the same thing on mine--which was delivered late July, however, I didn't noticed for the first couple of months--seems to have started in September sometime.

The other day I had the noise (same noise as when charging, i..e, a coolant pump most likely) for an hour after driving home (2.4 miles.) I tried opening the door, sitting inside and then leaving. Still humming after an hour. Then I got in and turned off energy saving.10 minutes later (when I checked) it was off. I then turned energy savings back on and the noise was still gone.

My theory is that the car goes to sleep and fails to turn off the pump. With energy saving off, it at least stays awake enough to toggle the pump power.