Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S: constant buzzing noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other day I had the noise (same noise as when charging, i..e, a coolant pump most likely) for an hour after driving home (2.4 miles.) I tried opening the door, sitting inside and then leaving. Still humming after an hour. Then I got in and turned off energy saving.10 minutes later (when I checked) it was off. I then turned energy savings back on and the noise was still gone.

My theory is that the car goes to sleep and fails to turn off the pump. With energy saving off, it at least stays awake enough to toggle the pump power.
Thanks for info. I will test it to see if it helps me.

I took my car into the SC for next gen seats and to look at a grinding noise coming from the baffles. When I got home I heard the buzzing coming from both headlights. It was loud enough the people at the SC could hear it over the phone. The car has been buzzing when on ever since.

I'm taking it in on Monday to have them look at it. They said they need to look at it and order parts. I hope they fix it on the first try.

Bad ballasts were common in early refreshed S deliveries. Maybe they had another bag batch.

Mine is an early refresh, built in late May 2016. The headlights didn't start buzzing until Tesla worked on the car.

The HID (Xenon) headlamps have ballasts but I don't believe the LED headlamps use ballasts.

So far, I haven't heard any buzzing coming from the headlamps on my new Model S. I do, however, hear the grinding noise that is the louvers opening and closing. :(

The service center told me that it was dirt in the mechanism and it tends to work itself out over time. But I would think the dirt would be causing extra wear in the mechanism.

Mine is an early refresh, built in late May 2016. The headlights didn't start buzzing until Tesla worked on the car.

The service center told me that it was dirt in the mechanism and it tends to work itself out over time. But I would think the dirt would be causing extra wear in the mechanism.
We had one of the first delivered refreshed cars and one light buzzed since day one. We took it in and got it replaced and when we brought it home, the other light was buzzing. We took it back and they replaced the other light. We didn't have any more buzzing after that.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I took mine into the service center today for the headlights. They could hear them over the sound of a semi idling at the warehouse across the way. The tech said he's only had one other car come in with the headlights. He wasn't sure if they needed to replace just the ballast or the entire headlight assembly.

They took some sound recordings to send to California and they expect to have the parts in a week.

Just a data point that the Portland service center has only seen the problem once before.

My SO had an appointment a few blocks away so I went over to the service center while she was in there. As we were leaving her appointment, the car said "Driver Assist Features are Unavailable" and I couldn't get it to reset. I went back to the service center and it took a couple of tries to get the car to reset. I've never had that happen before.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I hear that noise every time I plug in with a cold battery. Is it abnormal? It's happened with my car since new. Well, I got my car in August and I didn't notice the noise until cold weather, but it's happened since the cold weather arrived in the fall.
We had two Teslas in our garage. One was delivered in June and one was delivered in December. Only the one delivered in December makes the noise so I don't think it is only temperature related. I'll be having mine looked at this Thursday and report back what they say.

• Helpful
Reactions: hybridbear
We had two Teslas in our garage. One was delivered in June and one was delivered in December. Only the one delivered in December makes the noise so I don't think it is only temperature related. I'll be having mine looked at this Thursday and report back what they say.
Is there a thread specifically about this noise? TMC has become so massive that it's incredibly hard to find anything now...