Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well damn, just got texted from tesla saying that due to covid staff shortages at my SC they are pushing out my appointment until Jan 31st :(
Sorry to hear. I wonder if in Lemon law cases, Tesla could use C19 labor shortage as a reason to get around the Lemon Law “repair clock” threshold? For example, citing the C19 labor shortage as an “Act of God” and finding a sympathetic arbiter to extend the repair clock time? Anyone know?

@rxlawdude

Maybe the vibration is related to the carbon fiber wrap on the rotors?
It’s not that, I have refreshed LR, vin MF4334xx same exact problem, vibration under light acceleration 100% repeatable, noticed since day one took into service for it twice, they said it was normal, it’s not. Had M3D and MYP prior and they never had this vibration. The service center let me drive another MS and it did the exact same thing, so that’s why the deemed as normal. Reality is both have the same problem. It sucks, embarrassing to take people for a ride in your new $100k car and have them say “That doesn’t sound good” and service center has no answer.

• Love
Reactions: Wilber and jebinc
This may sound strange, but…

I received four updates in the last few days.

2021.44.30 all good.

2021.44.30.1 Didn’t notice a difference

2021.44.30.6 Had a vibration develop in the yolk at higher speeds. Above 60 I would say. I think it had something to do with the shutters on the front end.

2021.44.30.7 (came out the day after .6) Vibration gone, all good.

Maybe it was all in my head, or maybe there is some sort of shutter programming that was allowing flopping at higher speeds. Anyway, just my thoughts.

This may sound strange, but…

I received four updates in the last few days.

2021.44.30 all good.

2021.44.30.1 Didn’t notice a difference

2021.44.30.6 Had a vibration develop in the yolk at higher speeds. Above 60 I would say. I think it had something to do with the shutters on the front end.

2021.44.30.7 (came out the day after .6) Vibration gone, all good.

Maybe it was all in my head, or maybe there is some sort of shutter programming that was allowing flopping at higher speeds. Anyway, just my thoughts.
Thanks for sharing. Given your description, as compared to others, I'm concluding you may have had a different issue than this thread is tracking. All the best!

I saw this on Reditt
PSA: My Plaid has a factory issue that is likely to become a recall. A wiring harness for the suspension can be installed incorrectly, and at 14k miles mine was finally destroyed by friction from rubbing against a tire. The car is undrivable until Feb 23, awaiting a new subframe wiring harness. Could this be the issue?

I saw this on Reditt
PSA: My Plaid has a factory issue that is likely to become a recall. A wiring harness for the suspension can be installed incorrectly, and at 14k miles mine was finally destroyed by friction from rubbing against a tire. The car is undrivable until Feb 23, awaiting a new subframe wiring harness. Could this be the issue?
I should add that there are photos on this post as well as a way to check your own vehicle and a simple recommendation to use a zip tie to hold it till Tesla recognizes the issue and issues a recall.

I saw this on Reditt
Different issue. We have lots of them!

Reactions: jebinc
Not sure why the fronts would fail before the rears. The fronts probably have half the torque going through them compared to the rears. Unless the drive line is straighter in the rear?
This response from a while back got me thinking...

When you're under heavy acceleration in the plaid, it can lift the nose pretty high. Even in low suspension setting. Exposing the front shafts to ~350ft lbs of torque at a high CV angle.

Screenshot_20220118-043856.png

(This low shutter speed video shot was the best I could catch from a Plaid smoking a 911 Turbo S 😁) Look at that nose in the air.

I'm wonder if that's why the front wears faster, even though the rears are exposed to twice the torque. The rear squats, making the CV angle even better under high torque.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc