Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, new to the forum and have spent an hour or reading this thread. As you can probably guess, my 23’ S Plaid has the vibration. I noticed it a week after taking delivery in March. It’s only noticeable when driving 20-40MPH. Once I hit 40, it’s smooth as glass.

I had taken the car in for a variety of repairs, mostly small non-mechanical issues (paint, windshield wipers, trim, etc). This was the only “serious” issue. The tech confirmed the vibration and flagged it for engineering. I got it back about three weeks ago. The vibration may be getting a little worse, hard to tell.

I think my plan of attack is to pressure Tesla to replace the half shafts. Then, install N2itive’s complete kit as soon as I get it back.

Regarding the debate as to whether I regret buying the car because of this issue (and the others I mentioned above)… I do not. Sure, I’m disappointed that a $120K car was apparently assembled by toddlers with zero quality control. But that peel-your-face-off acceleration is worth it.
A follow up on this post. Tesla replaced both half shafts today, and it did nothing to fix the problem. The vibration is still there… no better or worse. Now I’m wondering if the vibration is even a result of the half shaft problem most people experience? It seems like most people get some relief (albeit temporary) when the half shafts are replaced. Tesla acknowledged that the vibration is still there and said it’s “flagged for engineering”. I’m sure they’ve got their best people working on it day and night, haha.

My plan was to get these installed and have new/unworn parts in the car when I get my N2itive kit installed this Saturday. What happens if I get the N2itive parts installed and my vibration is a result of a different problem?

I’ll be emailing a lemon lawyer tonight and asking him this question. If they say this could jeopardize a potential lemon claim, I’ll skip the install and not risk it.

I realize that we’re talking about an ultimate first-world problem… but this sucks.

• Disagree
Reactions: Propofoln
A follow up on this post. Tesla replaced both half shafts today, and it did nothing to fix the problem. The vibration is still there… no better or worse. Now I’m wondering if the vibration is even a result of the half shaft problem most people experience? It seems like most people get some relief (albeit temporary) when the half shafts are replaced. Tesla acknowledged that the vibration is still there and said it’s “flagged for engineering”. I’m sure they’ve got their best people working on it day and night, haha.

My plan was to get these installed and have new/unworn parts in the car when I get my N2itive kit installed this Saturday. What happens if I get the N2itive parts installed and my vibration is a result of a different problem?

I’ll be emailing a lemon lawyer tonight and asking him this question. If they say this could jeopardize a potential lemon claim, I’ll skip the install and not risk it.

I realize that we’re talking about an ultimate first-world problem… but this sucks.

it's sad a major car company such as Tesla can't even make something so basic as a vibration free car. Unbelievable

I think I'm giving up and starting the lemon law process. My car has been in service 10 times and 50 days total to try and fix the vibration. I'll try one more time, but I think I'm out.
Don’t bother, already tried. Since, and irrespective of all the times they worked on it, they considered and coded it as “normal” two years ago. All the time spent since then is considered “customer courtesy” and not lemon material. I consulted two attorneys back then and they told me there was no case. Just sell the vibrating junk and get a different brand.

@WilliamG

See my post above. No case. Re Engineering flagging… I was told that BS two year’s ago, come September…. Sell the junk.

Well that’s encouraging, ugh. I’ll talk to someone and see what they say, but not holding my breath. It sounds like Tesla has this all figured out.
Don’t bother, already tried. Since, and irrespective of all the times they worked on it, they considered and coded it as “normal” two years ago. All the time spent since then is considered “customer courtesy” and not lemon material. I consulted two attorneys back then and they told me there was no case. Just sell the vibrating junk and get a different brand.

@WilliamG

They do. The SC manager even sent me an email documenting this course of action. I then checked with two lawyers - neither would touch or take the case.
And here are some email excerpts from back then.

IMG_7996.png

Hi John,

I understand – to clarify, my understanding is that this is currently an expected condition for Plaid MS specifically (thus would not apply to any of the other vehicle mentioned).

The “repair clock” does not count time where the vehicle is here if our recommendation is that no repairs should be performed. Our goal here is of course to not have you feel you need to pursue any other sort of action, but I genuinely think that you having the vehicle back in your possession in the meantime is the best course of action.

Thank you,

Maddy”

And here are some email excerpts from back then.

View attachment 951401

Hi John,

I understand – to clarify, my understanding is that this is currently an expected condition for Plaid MS specifically (thus would not apply to any of the other vehicle mentioned).

The “repair clock” does not count time where the vehicle is here if our recommendation is that no repairs should be performed. Our goal here is of course to not have you feel you need to pursue any other sort of action, but I genuinely think that you having the vehicle back in your possession in the meantime is the best course of action.

Thank you,

Maddy”

EDIT: These emails are from two years ago…. As are the attorney views that I have not posted.

EDIT: These emails are from two years ago…. As are the attorney views that I have not posted.
Thanks for sharing. I’ve spent the last hour or so perusing the forum and reading some of the other threads on which you’ve posted. I really appreciate the effort you took in trying to troubleshoot and experiment!

I try not to be “that guy” on a forum who asks questions instead of trying to find the answer for themself, but there’s a lot of pages to go through and I don’t have the time… so I’ll just ask:

Have you installed the N2itive lowering links? If so, did they reduce or eliminate the vibration?

Reactions: jebinc
Thanks for sharing. I’ve spent the last hour or so perusing the forum and reading some of the other threads on which you’ve posted. I really appreciate the effort you took in trying to troubleshoot and experiment!

I try not to be “that guy” on a forum who asks questions instead of trying to find the answer for themself, but there’s a lot of pages to go through and I don’t have the time… so I’ll just ask:

Have you installed the N2itive lowering links? If so, did they reduce or eliminate the vibration?
Yes and yes. The links help to reduce the vibration, but not necessarily minute it. I did a whole review thread of the links at the time.

March HW4 Model S Plaid here.. and I get the lower speed vibration in the pedals (28-40) most noticeable in the morning. Extremely smooth road.

I will pay more attention to the over 40 and if it happens after a few miles of driving but from memory, I feel like it goes away after it's warmed up??

Reactions: Propofoln