Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See my prior posts. Your lawyer will tell you the same thing my two have.

For reference:

They do. The SC manager even sent me an email documenting this course of action. I then checked with two lawyers - neither would touch or take the case.

I agree I don't think most lemon laws would count a minor vibration as a safety, or significant, issue as qualifying, especially when all new vehicles come with it and the manufacturer says it is normal. (Even if they are trying to find a way to eliminate it?)

Reactions: cwanja and jebinc
For reference:

I agree I don't think most lemon laws would count a minor vibration as a safety, or significant, issue as qualifying, especially when all new vehicles come with it and the manufacturer says it is normal. (Even if they are trying to find a way to eliminate it?)
Probably depends on the state. It sounds like in NC saying "they all do that" or "that's normal" isn't a valid excuse.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I a new bought Model S in June of last year, and immediately noticed some vibrations from front drive train at 68 to 70 mph. I thought it will get better as I put on some miles. Well, it only got worse from that point on, I took it to Tesla Service center at 2500mile on odometer and they said they couldn't reproduce the issue, and that there were no vibrations at all. So now at 11500 miles I have vibrations at 39-42 mph and at 65 to 71 mph. I have changed tires to Michlins pilot Sport, but saw no improvement. So I scheduled a service to check this out @ Mt Kisco service center NY, they quoted me $300 fee to diagnose and rebalance the front tires, and wanted my preapproval for the charge prior to bring in the car. I have followed the this thread for some time and realize that service center may not be able to offer a solution for this issue, and rather than throw money at the problem I cancelled my service appointment. I believe the quality of the car at this price point is poor and unacceptable, and I will dissuade others from buying Tesla cars.

I a new bought Model S in June of last year, and immediately noticed some vibrations from front drive train at 68 to 70 mph. I thought it will get better as I put on some miles. Well, it only got worse from that point on, I took it to Tesla Service center at 2500mile on odometer and they said they couldn't reproduce the issue, and that there were no vibrations at all. So now at 11500 miles I have vibrations at 39-42 mph and at 65 to 71 mph. I have changed tires to Michlins pilot Sport, but saw no improvement. So I scheduled a service to check this out @ Mt Kisco service center NY, they quoted me $300 fee to diagnose and rebalance the front tires, and wanted my preapproval for the charge prior to bring in the car. I have followed the this thread for some time and realize that service center may not be able to offer a solution for this issue, and rather than throw money at the problem I cancelled my service appointment. I believe the quality of the car at this price point is poor and unacceptable, and I will dissuade others from buying Tesla cars.

totally understand. 4 service visits for my 80-95 mph vibration. Zero resolution. They did try to charge me the fee once over the phone and threw a crap fit. They haven't asked since. My recommendation is to do the same, refuse to pay a fee, and get them to possibly replace half shafts

Same here. 11 service visits and I'm giving up.

Reactions: jebinc
totally understand. 4 service visits for my 80-95 mph vibration. Zero resolution. They did try to charge me the fee once over the phone and threw a crap fit. They haven't asked since. My recommendation is to do the same, refuse to pay a fee, and get them to possibly replace half shafts
Half shaft replacement does not fix. 100% fact.

After my half shaft replacements the vibration was still noticeable within a day. It doesn't fix a thing. Mine is still very minor and doesn't seem to happen 100% of the time. I still want a real fix but it doesn't bother me too much. No passenger has ever noticed it.

Zero people reporting half shaft replacements have permanently fixed the vibration. Zero.
Agreed. No reports of replacing them fixing the issue.

However, it still seems like the half shafts are the problem, since the vibration goes away after replacement, but then comes back. And because lowering the car mitigates the vibration. Likely a design flaw in the half shafts. There's too much play in the system and it resonates when the CV joints are bent to extreme angles. Reducing the angles or tightening the tolerances in the shafts would likely fix the issue. Or perhaps padding the joints with more grease. Someone reported that helped.

It is also related to manufacturing tolerances on the car, since some cars don't have the vibrations. I guess their motors are located just a bit lower, due to how their frame was pressed, etc.

Another fix idea. Some shims on the motors. I don't know how the subframe is mounted, but maybe there's room to shim the subframe / motor to lower the drive unit down. I'm just throwing out some free fixes for Tesla here, to save them some $$ before they have to buy back my car.

Btw. Has anyone traded in their Plaid and received a new one that doesn't have the vibration?

I have a September, 21 plaid with 19 inch wheels. I have had no vibration issues since delivery.
Other issues mostly resolved.
I am transferring FSD & trading it
for a ‘23 ultra red plan within the next two weeks or so just waiting for the VIN.
I was hoping that most of these early production issues had been resolved. After reading many recent posts in this thread…
Having more concerns.
Feel free to chime in if you just took delivery of a plaid model S