Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refunds on Roadster Deposit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dogtown

Karma #1250
Nov 18, 2007
Is this a Sign of a Bigger Issue?

This is not looking good to me. I first send in a request for a refund on December 8th, 2008. My first reply came back on December 9th, letting me know that they do not exactly understand why I would want it back, but that they would be happy to return it to me. I replied back to them that day to confirm that I would like a refund... time passed with no contact and no refund.

I let a month go by just to make sure there was time to get everything processed. I sent in another message on January 12, 2009. I got a response the next day telling me that my refund had not been processed and that the accounting department as been busy with end of year processes. Once again I was told that my refund would be processed ASAP, and they were sorry for the delay.

Now another week has gone by with no contact and no refund. I have sent yet another message.

Is this a sign of trouble? I hope I am not the first one to find out that they have run out of cash and things are not as we have been told.

My only reason for the refund was the fact that I am not ready to buy right now and the deposit no longer secures me a place in line now that my number has been called.

After the release of the new pricing and option unlocks etc. I have more reason to get it back. I have already sent part of my deposit over to Fisker. I do believe in the promise of the EV. I just can no longer believe in the promise of Tesla.

My only reason for the refund was the fact that I am not ready to buy right now and the deposit no longer secures me a place in line now that my number has been called.

I was confused by this what did you mean by it? I get the first half of the compound sentence it is the latter part that confuses me ...

English is my first language. I just don’t know how to use it properly.

Now if you can learn how to quote properly then we can all understand things better. :biggrin:

Basically what I was saying is that anyone can walk in off the street right now and get the same spot. Leaving money with Tesla when I am not ready to place an order no longer has any value.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought maybe they had actually past your production number but that you were not ready to lock in yet.

That is the first time I tried to quote and obviously I still need to figure that part out. Was that the first time you used a compound sentence? :biggrin: LOL

So how do I do that quote thing - a ma- bob - a ma - jiggy ....

I was in at the $5k spot. I was not ready to pony up any more cash so I basically lost my place in line. I didn't wait moving the deposit was all mental. Good thing to, I would have lost over 300 spots (and counting) in line with Fisker if I had waited for Tesla to get my money back.

DT,

I emailed my request for refund on Jan 13 before the announcement of the price changes. I had a brief email exchange on the 16th. During that time I had asked if they had a specific proceedure they wanted me to use for this process as it is not spelled out in the Roadster club membership agreemnt. After no response to that question, I made two calls to the San Carlos office and left messages (on or about Jan 18 & 19).

On Jan 20 I spoke to one Tesla Sales rep who said they process these request on a monthly basis and my refund should be sent out by the end of the month. I had already printed out, signed and mailed a letter stating my request, just in case they wanted a signature on file.

The staff has been pretty responsive to me and they have always afforded me every courtesy. I will wait until the end of the month (of course) to see if they follow through.

This was a pretty tough reality check for me as the economic down turn hit hard. I plan to attend the town hall meeting by phone, but whatever is said I am still in the same boat.

I'll be surprised if they don't honor your request. I think Dpeilow is correct.

DT,

I will wait until the end of the month (of course) to see if they follow through.

This was a pretty tough reality check for me as the economic down turn hit hard. I plan to attend the town hall meeting by phone, but whatever is said I am still in the same boat.

I'll be surprised if they don't honor your request. I think Dpeilow is correct.

I hear what you are saying. I was in the same boat last month. Now, here I am again this month. I hope you are right. On the other hand these things can always get explained away and seem logical when they are happening. I would prefer to not be the one in the news getting quoted as saying "I knew thing were bad, but I never saw this coming." The title of the article is "Tesla closes doors, owes Millions."

Paying once a month, busy and forgot, forgot to sign the check, check is in the mail... they can all happen. They can also all be a run-a-round and a sign that things are bad.

It's good to know that they process refunds all at the end of the month. I'll try to decide quickly after the town meeting so as to get in for January refunds should I want one.

Imagine if the meeting were televised, and there was a little counter in the corner tracking call-in refund requests. The moment Elon says the wrong thing, the little counter starts ticking up ... 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 50, 70, then panic, 100, 200, 400, 450. Then I wake up - it's all a dream (nightmare).

Can anyone remember who they talked to from Tesla? I emailed Zak a while back asking for info on the process for requesting your deposit back and never got a response from him. I'm thinking I'd kind of like to have mine back as well.

This subject is a bit spread out so I'll ask it here.

Has anyone who has canceled their Roadster order received a refund on their deposit?

Has anyone who has canceled their Roadster order not received a refund on their deposit?

Please specify your timeline.

My request for a refund started on or about January 16. I last emailed/phoned and mailed regarding this on January 20 as I was leaving the country the next day. I was told (via telephone conversation) that my refund would be processed at the end of the month. I am still out of the country and have asked my fiance to let me know when the check arrives in the mail. No word yet.

FYI: I am still a huge fan of Tesla Motors and want to be a roadster owner some time in the future. My reason for refund was not the price changes as it would not have affected me in the manner of the 2008 MY owners.