Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regrets [Anyone regret trading in their ICE for their Tesla?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I only have a Tesla as my daily driver. I don’t think having just an ev as a daily a main vehicle is good. At least now.
We rid ourselves of all our ICE vehicles and only have 2 Teslas. One has been back and forth to OH 7 times; the other only twice. Not sure why the hesitancy to go all electric. Charging at home is great; road travel is relaxing; never have a hot garage; etc.

Yeah I only have a Tesla as my daily driver. I don’t think having just an ev as a daily a main vehicle is good. At least now.
Absolutely it is the only car you will need. I have had a Tesla as my only vehicle for 7.5 years and 200,000 miles, including four, over 4,000 mile road trips in summer and winter. What seems to make you think it won;'t work for you?

I drove a 2016 Audi S8 for four years and traded it for a MYP two months ago. Zero regrets coming from a vehicle at the pinnacle of mass produced ICE vehicles. The Y has its quirks but I don’t miss the S8 from a performance standpoint. The Y is cheaper to insure and I enjoy the versatility and cost savings to maintain and charge.

Reactions: Olle and Ciaopec
Just curious but does anyone have regrets about getting a tesla over a gas car? I had a BMW and traded it for my model Y and I kinda regret it.
I had bmw m3, went to wife’s Saturn (😩), went to 2012 Chevy volt and decided I never wanted ICE again. Then got 2022 model y performance. Pure joy!!! I charge up at home at 48Amps which is wicked fast. Waiting on gas stations? Pffftt. Waiting at public charging? Hhhheeck no. I don’t have time for that.

Just curious but does anyone have regrets about getting a tesla over a gas car?
We have a '22 MYP and '22 M3P (which replaced a '20 MYLR), no regrets. I don't see any scenarios where a gas car would have offered a specific advantage, aside from the massive cargo space of our Suburban+rooftop clamshell, when moving our kids in/out of college. There are some things missing, like specific apps available via CarPlay, but nope - no regrets.

Yes I charge at home. Not daily.
I thought you’re not supposed to.
You can (and should) leave your car plugged in all the time. The thing you shouldn't do is charge to 100% daily (unless you have LFP, such as in the M3 SR+). This should help a lot with range issues - set it to around 80%, with occasional bump-up for road trips.

I don’t think having just an ev as a daily a main vehicle is good. At least now.
Curious to know what specific issue would prevent having an EV as an only / main vehicle. We were down to one gas car (Suburban) starting July 2020, but eventually stopped driving it except when big cargo space was needed, or we both needed a car at the same time. EV-only since June 2022. Ok, to be totally fair, I'm not in love with the idea of driving the Teslas in deep snow, so maybe that's a reason? But snowfall has been on the lighter side in our area, the past two winters.

I don’t go to a supercharger. I charge at home. But I charge to 80% mostly. On weekdays, usually just couple miles. Maybe 10. Weekends usually is when I hit 100 miles.
Sounds pretty close to my type of usage. I charge to 50% during the weekdays for my short commute to work, then on weekends I charge to whatever percentage I feel I need. Bump of the weekend charge percentage if you need more, but finishing out the day with 30% is perfectly fine.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Ok let me ask if this is normal. I start with 80% charge. I drive a total of 100 miles, it goes to 32%. Is that normal?
Range depends on driving style, outside temps, terrain, air condition/ heater usage. Stop and go vs. cruising

To get best range, keep speeds around 55-60mph when cruising. Use heated seats & steering wheel rather than vent heating. Your hands and rear end do a good job of letting heat in to body it seems. Read up on the tons of threads about how to get best possible range vs. enjoying unfettered heart throbbing adrenaline due to awesome acceleration 🤣.

Reactions: 804son
Ok let me ask if this is normal. I start with 80% charge. I drive a total of 100 miles, it goes to 32%. Is that normal?
Sounds normal to me. I commute 70 miles a day plus picking up kids from school. Charge to 90% and I'm under 50% at the end of a day. But charging at 48A every night makes it easy. Love that I can sit in my car without the feeling of idling while waiting for my kids.
No regrets but EV is not for everyone.

Range depends on driving style, outside temps, terrain, air condition/ heater usage. Stop and go vs. cruising

To get best range, keep speeds around 55-60mph when cruising. Use heated seats & steering wheel rather than vent heating. Your hands and rear end do a good job of letting heat in to body it seems. Read up on the tons of threads about how to get best possible range vs. enjoying unfettered heart throbbing adrenaline due to awesome acceleration 🤣.
I live in Florida. I don’t turn on the heat. Hahah. But I do keep the ac on. But not that high. And as far as cruising, depends on where I am but I’m usually at 80mph on the highway.

• Informative
Reactions: Vines

If you have home charging there is no reason (none) on the car side to do that run the car down and then fill it back up. The answer to your question though, is yes, especially because you are likely not driving that time all at once.

Reactions: 804son
I thought you’re not supposed to.
Tesla has always said keep the car plugged in. Somewhere between don't let the battery go to 0% and don't let the battery sit at 100%unless you're ready to depart, there's probably a wide range of opinion on how to treat the battery. I charge mine at home to 50%. Daily usage may take me down to 30% but usually around 40%. No matter which direction I travel there is a supercharger for short notice departures. I can't say what most people do but I have always kept the cars plugged in; kept the batteries between 20%-80% most of the time; charged to 100% as necessary on some trips and been as low as 7%. After the first month I learned how to stop worrying and enjoy the battery.
There are so many more chargers now than when I started the OH-FL round trips in 2016. At the time I worried about range and at the last moment opted to buy the 90kW battery vs 75kW. I read as much as I could find about road trips and battery charging and how to do all of that in the least amount of time. One trip was all it took because even if I had a 500 mile battery I sure wasn't going to sit in the car the long. Now I drive 1.5-2.0 hours or a little more then stop to charge for 10-15 minutes and I'm on the road again rarely charging (any more) about 55%. Have you taken a road trip? Has the slight difference in advertised range vs whatever you get caused a problem? If not, don't worry. Enjoy the ride.