Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regrets [Anyone regret trading in their ICE for their Tesla?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok let me ask if this is normal. I start with 80% charge. I drive a total of 100 miles, it goes to 32%. Is that normal?
That's 48% of the battery to go 100 miles, or roughly 2 miles per percentage point. Given that you indicated that your driving speed is around 80MPH with A/C on, that's pretty normal. I find that my MYP usually gets between 2~2.5 miles per percentage point in the summer when I have A/C on, depending on how hard the A/C is working. I rarely go faster than 70 MPH on the highway, so 80MPH is going to take another bite out of the efficiency.

BTW, how much do you pay for electricity per kWh at home? I find it hard to believe it's not significantly less than gas unless where you live has California type of electricity rates.

To answer the original question, I have not regretted for a second going from ICE to Tesla. Even if electricity cost the same as gas, simply not having to go to gas stations is a huge advantage. Add all the other benefits of EV (and Tesla specific features) and I'm never going back to ICE. Even the relatively "cheap" interior of the MYP works great for me. I honestly prefer being in the MYP over my mom's Audi fat etron, which is objectively a much higher end interior.

So yeah, one year in and no regrets whatsoever.

I live in Florida. I don’t turn on the heat. Hahah. But I do keep the ac on. But not that high. And as far as cruising, depends on where I am but I’m usually at 80mph on the highway.
Obviously, me too. Seventy five mph is the sweet spot I have found in both cars (MS/MY) At 80 I notice a big increase in energy consumption. Driving 12 hours the 5mph makes a bit of a difference. Between the Space Coast and Orlando you probably wouldn't notice (except in your head)🙂 Someone on here said don't drive faster (consume energy) faster than you can charge to replace it.

Ok let me ask if this is normal. I start with 80% charge. I drive a total of 100 miles, it goes to 32%. Is that normal?
That might seem like abnormally high battery usage, but for Florida in the summer, maybe it's not. What did the Trips screen show as your Wh/mi and Total Energy for the 100-mile trip?

If your MY started off new with 75KWh battery capacity (I'm not sure what the initial usable capacity was for 2021 MYs) and experienced 10% battery degradation over your first year of ownership (leaving you with 67.5KWh capacity), using 48% to go travel 100 miles would still be an average of around 324 Wh/mile. If you take a lot of short trips, run the air conditioning, and drive at higher speeds, that's certainly achievable.

For comparison, I'm at 270 Wh/mi over the first 7,500 miles of ownership, but the first 1,500 miles were around 300Wh/mi on the highway in the cold around the end of winter. Since then, I've been around 260 Wh/mi over the spring/summer.

Assuming a 67.5KWh capacity you should expect the following ranges for 48% battery usage at the associated Wh/mi:
350 Wh/mi 93 miles
340 Wh/mi 95 miles
330 Wh/mi 98 miles
320 Wh/mi 101 miles
310 Wh/mi 105 miles
300 Wh/mi 108 miles
290 Wh/mi 112 miles
280 Wh/mi 116 miles
270 Wh/mi 120 miles
260 Wh/mi 125 miles
250 Wh/mi 130 miles

Generally you will get 80-85% of the rated range....unless you drive slower.

Look in Trips and what is you w/mile? 325 or so?

Your model Y is rated at 318 miles, knock off 20% = 254 miles. You use 80%-32% = 48% used. 48% of the 254 is 122 miles, which is pretty close to your 100 miles.

Edit: ajstan beat me to it.

Once we got our first Tesla, I couldn't wait to trade in my gas car for another Tesla. I love the immediate power delivery and it's way cheaper to charge than to fill up with gas. Maybe at first it was alarming to pay attention to the percentage used per day but, ultimately, as long as you can do all the driving you want in a day without having to charge, what's the difference? Just plug it in and repeat the next day. The only time it becomes less convenient is if you plan on driving longer than your battery's range in a single day (i.e. a roadtrip). We've taken several road trips in both my Model Y and the Model 3 SR+. The charging stops for us tend to line up with whenever we want to take a break anyway, so it hasn't been inconvenient. We've also gotten lucky a few times with free charging at hotels and/or free supercharger sessions when Tesla was running promotions (free off-peak during Thanksgiving last year). People have asked us if we wished we kept at least one gas powered car -- we really haven't, it's been all upside for us so far.

Absolutely I regret buying a MSP. My Mercedes SL 550 Roadster was twice as nice as the Tesla. The silly software and buggy things like XM radio, A/ C performance, poor build, hot glass roof…etc, etc. I made a big mistake buying the overpriced yuppy golf cart. Compared to my Porsche and Mercedes, there is nothing resembling luxury about the Tesla model S Plaid.

Last edited:

I don’t go to a supercharger. I charge at home. But I charge to 80% mostly. On weekdays, usually just couple miles. Maybe 10. Weekends usually is when I hit 100 miles.
I drive 16 miles round trip to work at good speed. With trips to the gym, etc I put on maybe 200 miles per week. I charge to 85% once a week at home, usually Sunday night (I plug in to charge Sunday night when I take out the trash). Once in awhile I make a longer trip for work so I might need an extra charge mid week.

Charging at home is a game changer: no more trips to dirty, stinky gas stations. While my Y is far from perfect, I have no regrets with having an EV.

On our second Tesla, so definite no regrets. Loved the S and the love Y even more. The wife loves my Y so much that she drives the Y more than I do (even though she was first against an EV).

Sometimes I miss the S, but absolutely do not regret trading in my prior flagship Lexus luxury sedan with all its amenities, such as self-closing doors, air suspension, 4-zone climate control, massaging seats, drink cooler, power reclining rear seats (in a sedan!), reference audio system, etc. I just can’t go back to an ICE drivetrain, period.

Absolutely I regret buying a MSP. My Mercedes SL 550 Roadster was twice as nice as the Tesla. The silly software and buggy things like XM radio, A/ C performance, poor build, hot glass roof…etc, etc. I made a big mistake buying the overpriced yuppy golf cart. Compared to my Porsche and Mercedes, there is nothing resembling luxury about the Tesla model S Plaid.
Toyota has better quality.

I’d say my only misgivings are cold weather range and the lack of fast charging in certain areas. I know someone said “99% of charging should be at home” or something to that effect, but it’s only around 2/3 of my charging. I do end up driving our gas car for some trips because I don’t have time to wait to charge.

For reference I’m attaching an image of my past 31 day charging stats.

And the seats are HOT. Truly wish the seats were either cooled or cloth. I’ve never had a car with leather seats that are this hot.

Attachments

• D35C39D3-446D-4510-976B-4490FA26DACA.png
    D35C39D3-446D-4510-976B-4490FA26DACA.png
    232 KB · Views: 82
Obviously, me too. Seventy five mph is the sweet spot I have found in both cars (MS/MY) At 80 I notice a big increase in energy consumption. Driving 12 hours the 5mph makes a bit of a difference. Between the Space Coast and Orlando you probably wouldn't notice (except in your head)🙂 Someone on here said don't drive faster (consume energy) faster than you can charge to replace it.
Is your commute from the Space Coast to Orlando? I've got the same commute! I'll look out for you on the road. ;)

If that is your commute, be sure you've got a Time-of-Use (TOU) meter installed at your house. I did the math and it definitely saves me money.

Just curious but does anyone have regrets about getting a tesla over a gas car? I had a BMW and traded it for my model Y and I kinda regret it.
Can you share your thoughts on the maintenance differences?

Oh, and it wouldn't matter if someone else does the maintenance, you still have to spend the time to take it in for oil changes, timing belts, and the like. (Don't get me wrong, Tesla's do require maintenance (and/or repair), just a whole lot less of it.)