Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected delivery today, Costa Mesa, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update, I got ‘tesla’ again for the 2nd time, received yet an expected voicemail prior to tomorrow’s delivery appointment. My car is still at Fremont not even on a transport truck.

I get an email from my delivery advisor yesterday saying how excited he will be to see me in 2 days, final balance due, what to expect when I arrrive, and at the bottom of the email asked what things will I be most interested in when I arrive.
I reply to the email and today got the tesla surprise.

I’m constantly telling my friends, coworkers, family I wouln’t be surprised if they pulled the stunt again and guess what I was right.

I’m at the point where I’m frustrated with the handling of the scheduling of the delivery dates, feelings towards the company have gone from hope, to disappointment, to disgusted when I’m asked or see another model 3 on the road.

Update, I got ‘tesla’ again for the 2nd time, received yet an expected voicemail prior to tomorrow’s delivery appointment. My car is still at Fremont not even on a transport truck.

I get an email from my delivery advisor yesterday saying how excited he will be to see me in 2 days, final balance due, what to expect when I arrrive, and at the bottom of the email asked what things will I be most interested in when I arrive.

I’m constantly telling my friends, coworkers, family I wouln’t be surprised if they pulled the stunt again and guess what I was right.

I’m at the point where I’m frustrated with the handling of the scheduling of the delivery dates, feelings towards the company have gone from hope, to disappointment, to disgusted when I’m asked or see another model 3 on the road.
Ouch, that's why I am telling all my friend and coworker it's going to be late Oct/Nov for my Model 3 even though it says Sep-Nov.

I’m constantly telling my friends, coworkers, family I wouln’t be surprised if they pulled thestunt again and guess what I was right.

I’m at the point where I’m frustrated with the handling of the scheduling of the delivery dates, feelings towards the company have gone from hope, to disappointment, to disgusted when I’

Sorry, I am having difficulty understanding what is that you are complaining in this post?

Are you upset your car will arrive in day or two?

Last edited:
Sorry, I am having difficulty understanding what is that you are complaining in this post?

Are you upset your car will arrive in day or two?

I’m upset on how it went from locking in a delivery date back in June 20 for today, they did good to get me another vehicle that fast.

To an email from the delivery advisor bascially congratulating me 2 days prior to today, reminding me balance due, etc. Okay this is still good I’m getting my car in 2 days.

Then the courtesy voicemail last night yesterday to let me know oh ya we don’t have your car, it’s still in Fremont and waiting to get loaded onto a truck probably next week still not sure though when it will get here.

Okay timeout this is suppose to attempt #2 for Tesla to fix a wrong they did on the 1st delivery attempt. Everything seemed smooth and on point prior to that voicemail last night. This is what upsets me getting my hopes and planning my schedule around the delivery to drop a last minute bomb like that AGAIN.

I have simple needs delivery me a vehicle that doesn’t require it to have massive work done at body shop like repaint, replacing tail/headlights, etc. I’m not talking about swirls, panel gaps, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
About 1 hour prior to my delivery appointment I get the dreaded voicemail about a last minute final inspection revealing my vehicle had scratches on the frunk, headlights, trunk, door sil, and rear bumper. I was not really surprised Tesla would pull this maneuver due to reading the stories posted on this forum but more disappointed.

I had really worked out a tight window with my work to take time off to take delivey, get the proper funds paperwork setup, have a family member take off their work to give me a ride/be there to celebrate my delivery appointment.

I called 2 days before to get confirmation that my vehicle will be ready for my delivery appointment and was assured it was ready and no delays would occur.

What bugs me the most is why did the delivery center pull the 1 hour voicemail bad news routine when they knew the car would not be ready. Here is how I figured out there was no way the vehicle would have been ready for my schedule delivery. When I called 2 days prior to confirm the status of my vehicle I did mention I downloaded the app on my phone but it reported that I had no products linked to my account. The delivery person said it would pair the app with my car about 15 mins prior to my delivery time.

Sure enough I pulled the app and my model 3 was synced to my phone. I could see the charge status, VIN number, #of miles, most importantly the location. It was at a collision auto center 15 miles from the service center (Irvine auto collision center)

I was told either I wait 7-10 days to let the body shop fix it which would involve repainting the car or have to wait 4-6 weeks for tesla to build me another car. I opted for a new vehicle.

Now my tesla account shows I have no VIN number but my balance I owe is still up. I was going to bring a cashier check to the delivery appointment. My tesla app is no longer is paired with a model 3.

I have not heard anything from my sales rep so far regarding a ETA for a replacement vehicle nor a follow up after I finished speaking with the delivery center. I’m just in the dark right now.

My coworkers have been asking did I pick up my vehicle since they knew I was suppose to be picking it up today. They sympathize with my situation and said I definitely made the right choice to refuse delivery and were disappointed to hear about my Tesla experience so far.

This was at the Costa Mesa, California location. VIN 21643, MSM LR RWD, areo

I hope no ones gets handed this vehicle.
I got a call today to confirm my pick up for tomorrow morning then several hours later got another call that hood was dented and had to go to body shop for repair. I think I’m going to speak with them tomorrow and reject and have a new one built. Just not going to be happy knowing the car has been damaged before I’ve even picked it up. Car has already been paid for a few weeks ago (Texas issue) and feel like I should get a nondamaged premium Model 3. Any sense whether they will provide me a loaner vehicle in the interim?

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Update:

Finally 3rd times the charm, build date was 05/18, brought her home 08/05.

I was nervous will I get the last minute cancellation notice but it turned out to be a pleasant experience. It was super busy, it took about 1.5 hrs to drive off the lot. I had to wait for 15 mins before I was assigned an on site tesla rep to do the paperwork and get to inspect the car.

I was checking the paint, interior for scuffs, dirty smudges, cracks on the sun glass, front windshield, jack lift points. Everything passed inspection didn't see the horror stuff I have read on here.

I have to say the car was prep using a waterless wash/detailing method. I do see bits of dust/sand in the cracks under the wiper blades, in the glass roof channels but no big deal.

The model S loaner I have been driving for the last month there are some differences.

Acceleration from standstill
-Model S is uncorked coming of the line punch it and takes off. Model 3 I feel the restrictiveness from 0-20mph take off. Model 3 is 85-90% of the power from a Model S.

Screen layout
-Model S I wish those screens were in the model 3 I missed it already. I did enjoy splitting 2 windows at the same time and rear camera quality is better in the Model S, model 3 has a dark tinge to the picture quality.

Suspension
-Model S air suspension was golden, I like how it remembered locations and it would raise the height automatically. I was worried the model 3 ride quality would be too harsh, glad to report it's not.

Convenience
-I would rather have the key fob like the model S, retracting door handles, power assisted trunk

Handling
-Model S I really did not like the handling in sharp turns, and the size of the vehicle when pulling into parking spots. Model 3 by far is superior.

I did setup an appointment later in month just in case the smudges looks like residue from a polish or wax on some of the surfaces. Doesn't come off from a normal wash, clay, polish treatment. Definitely not paint blisters.

Feel at peace and excited stayed up late walked into the garage several times to stare at it. Woke up this morning latest software update successfully installed with the honking confirmation when it's locking the vehicle.

I had an interesting experience in Costa Mesa as well (July 29) but did not reject delivery. Rep was initially trying to get me out of the bay ASAP. Once I pointed out repeatedly that I am serious about my checklist and once I started pointing out more visible issues, they changed their tone, assigned a service center rep (who was there) to work with my delivery rep and let me take whatever time I needed. They had to reassign some deliveries that day to a different delivery rep.
I had some panel gap imperfections that were mostly no big deal, except one in the rear taillight that was literally protruding, so they took a note. Several halos in the paint job - looked like buffing artifacts following some paint correction. Biggest issue was a one inch deep scratch in the rear bumper - embarrasingly obvious and made the delivery rep stop saying "we go through a rigorous inspection checklist before you even see the car", in other words he stopped badmouthing my checklist. After I took the car to get ceramic coating, where they do paint minor paint corrections, the only thing left is that scratch, so I will ask Tesla to just fix the scratch and not touch any other part of the paint.
It was annoying that they made me sign ALL the paperwork in the beginning, even when I told them I might refuse delivery that day.

Other items from the checklist:
- The car was only half charged, which annoyed me a lot, Tesla made a lame excuse, but not worth me delaying delivery
- Latest firmware was not updated. Again, annoying. BTW the car build date is 07/18
- No delivery gift. (with my Model X they gave me a pen)
- My 1st gen mobile connector doesn't work with my model 3 - it won't lock. I'm not sure if this is by design. The connector that came with the M3 works fine.