Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just came back from the dealer. To start, it's a bit crazy right now. Tons of cars, Tons of people. Couldn't even find a parking spot for my wife's car. They had the car ready to show, but there were issues with door alignment, frunk alignment and back alignment. The biggest issue was the front passenger side door didn't close unless you slammed it.

I was given the option of taking the car, noting all of the issues and scheduling maintenance in two weeks, or rejecting and going back into the pool for a car. Interesting note, I was told that they measure alignment and if they are within 2mm they are within spec.

I really wanted to take the car, but the worst decisions I have made are the ones where I convince myself to do something and ignore the issues before me.

I told them to fix the issues and I would take the car, but I would be rejecting it the way it was. Now I have a bunch of cash in my bank account. As I once said to a vendor "I have money. I would like to give you my money. make it easy for me to give you my money"

Sorry I don't have pictures, it was raining and not great for looking at the car, or taking pictures.

so they admitted to a 2mm spec. Interesting.

it doesn't sound like much, but 2mm off in some areas would be super obvious, especially if it's 2mm off in multiple axes, which I have seen on some Telsas myself. And if every door is mounted 2mm off, that 2mm which doesn't sound like much suddenly looks like crap in person!

glad you refused delivery. If 2mm is truly their official "in spec" number, then that gives a SC the green light to refuse to fix alignment issues that an owner isn't satisfied with so it's best to just refuse the delivery and wait for the next car in line.

Reactions: jsight
I should add. The overall experience has been great so far. The dealer kept me informed all along the way, and was not pushy about anything.

it doesn't sound like much, but 2mm off in some areas would be super obvious, especially if it's 2mm off in multiple axes, which I have seen on some Telsas myself. And if every door is mounted 2mm off, that 2mm which doesn't sound like much suddenly looks like crap in person!

glad you refused delivery. If 2mm is truly their official "in spec" number, then that gives a SC the green light to refuse to fix alignment issues that an owner isn't satisfied with so it's best to just refuse the delivery and wait for the next car in line.

Maybe it's just me, but why do people feel the need to join TMC just so they can post issues with quality on delivery? Human nature I guess - won't join just to say "hey, picked up the perfect car!!!"

Maybe its just me, but why do people feel the need to comment on some posts? Human nature I guess - won't just keep scrolling.

------------------------

We rejected the first Model Y they offered us, you did the right thing even if all of the TSLA share holders here try to say or convince you otherwise. Maybe this form should be renamed Tesla Shareholders Club. We are set to match 01/01/2021 but overall the quality seems to have come up so we may pull the trigger after end of quarter.

• Funny
Reactions: dino007 and raggedy

Ahh, now I get it - OP found "...multiple axes..." were 2mm off - wouldn't have accepted it either... ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: Balthezor
Maybe it's just me, but why do people feel the need to join TMC just so they can post issues with quality on delivery? Human nature I guess - won't join just to say "hey, picked up the perfect car!!!"
Or maybe just maybe, they joined to learn things about the car, form other owners. Like shortcuts or shared experiences. But "maybe it's just me" who thinks that.
I usually see a glass as half full not half empty though.

Reactions: NY_Rob and alexcue
OP- That's a bummer man. I think you made the right decision. Getting the issues sorted might have been a pain depending on the SC. The plant seems to have a serious issue with panel/door alignments. Hopefully you can get it sorted out soon!

Or maybe just maybe, they joined to learn things about the car, form other owners. Like shortcuts or shared experiences. But "maybe it's just me" who thinks that.
I usually see a glass as half full not half empty though.
True, though when I see someone joins just to make this post after refusing delivery the same day I tend towards being skeptical... not that I doubt his comments, just think it doesn't need a whole new thread when there aren't even any pictures. Could understand if the "learning" and "sharing" part occurred before, not after....

Reactions: 1windy
Maybe the people that pick up the perfect car aren't posting. I posted my issues on my rejected Y and the VIN as I thought people wanted to know a reject VIN # in case it's one that is pushed on them at a dealer. When I get my Y (and hopefully the next one is fine) I would certainly post a positive review. When I got my Model 3 two years ago I had no issues and there were plenty as it was August 2018 and they were still ramping up production. I DID post a positive experience.

You are correct though. It would be nice to see more of the things that go right at delivery too.

Maybe its just me, but why do people feel the need to comment on some posts? Human nature I guess - won't just keep scrolling.

------------------------

We rejected the first Model Y they offered us, you did the right thing even if all of the TSLA share holders here try to say or convince you otherwise. Maybe this form should be renamed Tesla Shareholders Club. We are set to match 01/01/2021 but overall the quality seems to have come up so we may pull the trigger after end of quarter.
I am a Tesla shareholder since early 2013. Hold a few thousand shares (thanks to the recent split). However, people posting good as well as bad and being honest about their experience does help others out tremendously. I don't think people post a "fake" negative review here because they are short the stock.

What I have a problem with is some of the things that are defects on these cars at delivery are pretty obvious. If the dealer really does a PDI on the vehicle before they release it to the customer why can' t those things be fixed before the customer sees the problems. I'm not sure about other people but I would rather them tell me my car is delayed an extra few days and fix the issues so that when I get it I don't have to start making appointments to bring it in to get things fixed. I want to just take it home the way I would expect it to look as a brand new vehicle.

Maybe the people that pick up the perfect car aren't posting. I posted my issues on my rejected Y and the VIN as I thought people wanted to know a reject VIN # in case it's one that is pushed on them at a dealer. When I get my Y (and hopefully the next one is fine) I would certainly post a positive review. When I got my Model 3 two years ago I had no issues and there were plenty as it was August 2018 and they were still ramping up production. I DID post a positive experience.

You are correct though. It would be nice to see more of the things that go right at delivery too.

I picked up a perfect Y on Labor Day! As this was my first Tesla, my other friends who own Model X and S showed me all the deficiencies - after I proudly brought MY home. I was amazed at how fast they could point out teeny tiny dust under the paint, the <1/4" mismatched trim on one side of a rear wheel, a tiny blob of sealant on one side of the little triangular window, the slightest misalignment of a rear passenger door, the micro-scratches on one B column camera port - and many more supposed problems that I was lucky they pointed out for me!

Welcome to internet forums...it's everywhere
I understand your comment but to be clear I’d say the same thing to your face - not everything someone posts is “thanks for sharing” and I wasn’t being an ass, though you may disagree. At some point these “didn’t accept delivery” posts should be combined as all this is totally subjective. What’s terrible to you may be meh to me. And without photos who’s to judge? Fine, you weren’t happy with it but everyone’s expectations differ and as many come from luxury vehicles (as did I) Tesla’s may be/seem different. These checklists have made people nutty. Put things in perspective and ease off on the panel gaps, it’ll all be OK and you’ll love the car...

Ahh, now I get it - OP found "...multiple axes..." were 2mm off - wouldn't have accepted it either... ;)

Without pics all I can go on is his word that the doors, frunk and hatch (?) alignment were off, and I've seen more than a couple of MYs in person where the doors looked like they were misaligned "in multiple axes." Axes being plural for axis, at least that is what I'm trying to say. The doors Ive seen have made the MYs look like they were twisted in a bad car accident. Again, not sure how badly misaligned the parts were on the OP's rejected car, but 2mm being considered "in spec" is something I would not necessarily be happy with because a 2mm frunk misalignment, left to right, I can see them correcting, but a door that is 2mm off in 3 different angles I would have less confidence in Tesla being able to fix to my satisfaction. I'd have genuine concern that after that return period expires a SC adivsor would just shrug and tell me it's "within spec."

Well, why even bother having a forum then?.. if life's great, your car is perfect, your wife is a 10, you're rich and you're an expert in every field and know the answer to everything... why even have the internet? Just do your own thing and don't bother sharing and possibly helping someone else who may have a common interest... yeah, that's the way to live your life :(