Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, why even bother having a forum then?.. if life's great, your car is perfect, your wife is a 10, you're rich and you're an expert in every field and know the answer to everything... why even have the internet? Just do your own thing and don't bother sharing and possibly helping someone else who may have a common interest... yeah, that's the way to live your life :(
Uh yeah OK that’s the only other alternative, you nailed it....

To clarify, do we need a new thread every time someone has the same issue? No, and that's my point. There are enough "gee I just rejected my MY" threads without creating new ones. Panel gaps are not new, and as I mentioned, no pic's. So if you read my posts you'll see I don't doubt he had issues but creating new threads every time this happens isn't warranted. Just add on to another one as we do with every other issue...

Last edited:
My point was, we are fortunate to have the ability to share collective knowledge and experiences (both good and bad) across the planet.
Back in the pre-internet days it was easy and all to common for manufacturers to dismiss customer complaints with stock answers like, "it's just you", "we've never seen that before" and "only a few complaints like that". Nowadays they can't get away with that crap because we can share information easily and instantly and hold it up for the manufacturers to see and hold them accountable.

FWIW- here's one of many threads started just to post about "perfect" delivery/cars:
Happy perfect deliveries

Reactions: imola.zhp
My point was, we are fortunate to have the ability to share collective knowledge and experiences (both good and bad) across the planet.
Back in the pre-internet days it was easy and all to common for manufacturers to dismiss customer complaints with stock answers like, "it's just you", "we've never seen that before" and "only a few complaints like that". Nowadays they can't get away with that crap because we can share information easily and instantly and hold it up for the manufacturers to see and hold them accountable.

FWIW- here's one of many threads started just to post about "perfect" delivery/cars:
Happy perfect deliveries
I understand your point but you missed mine - share all you like but in forums it helps to read first and respond rather than start new threads unless you have something totally new to add. Nothing new here. And yes it also irks me when someone joins the forum just to complain, I admit. Getting old I suppose... ;)

Uh yeah OK that’s the only other alternative, you nailed it....

To clarify, do we need a new thread every time someone has the same issue? No, and that's my point. There are enough "gee I just rejected my MY" threads without creating new ones. Panel gaps are not new, and as I mentioned, no pic's. So if you read my posts you'll see I don't doubt he had issues but creating new threads every time this happens isn't warranted. Just add on to another one as we do with every other issue...

I sure hope you are not on Facebook. The Facebook Tesla groups, especially the Y, have the same posts
over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
x100000000000000000000000000000000

Traditional car forums are much better, one might argue that if we cut out all of the "just rejected my TMY" threads that we should also cut out all of the "just took delivery of a perfect TMY" threads as well.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I sure hope you are not on Facebook. The Facebook Tesla groups, especially the Y, have the same posts
over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
x100000000000000000000000000000000

Traditional car forums are much better, one might argue that if we cut out all of the "just rejected my TMY" threads that we should also cut out all of the "just took delivery of a perfect TMY" threads as well.
Fair enough, let's make it happen! :) The BMW forums I frequented in the past had their own "things" of course but the emojis were much better... :)

And no, not a "Facebooker" thank God - joined once years ago to see pictures someone sent me, closed the account 3 days later and still get "we noticed you haven't been active for a while" emails from time to time - no thanks....

And I apologize if a bit cranky, it's been that kind of year!

True, though when I see someone joins just to make this post after refusing delivery the same day I tend towards being skeptical... not that I doubt his comments, just think it doesn't need a whole new thread when there aren't even any pictures. Could understand if the "learning" and "sharing" part occurred before, not after....

I thought there is a lot of things a new person can't do... one of those is include pics on first number of posts. But I have been wrong before, so what do i know.

People may not have joined the forum but certainly browse it for information... then feel compelled to join and share their experience. Here's mine:
  • 9/25 - Ordered MY LR-AWD/White/White/Tow and completed all paperwork online including financing and insurance.
  • 9/26 - Get a text that my car was ready for deliver to my home once I sign/pay. No option to pickup at the factory. Car arrived in my driveway 30 minutes later and I was shocked at the condition.
    • Rear hatch on drivers side was ABOVE the roof panel. My 11 year old saw it as they pulled in before I did.
    • Red arrow sticky tape on the hood pointing to chips and missing paint.
    • Both front doors were not merely misaligned, but misshapen. They bowed out to the point where they cast shadows on the rear doors.
    • Two front bumper sensors were a different color than the car (not subtle).
    • The delivery fellow - a Tesla software engineer - was mortified saying it was his 12th and final delivery of the day.
    • Didn't even bother inspecting the inside because I could see from the window the headliner was scraped and stained.
    • Told him politely I refused to click "accept delivery" button and he called the factory who asked him to drive it back. Contact at the factory called that night and asked to list everything wrong and they'd deliver "an absolutely perfect car" the next morning.
  • 9/27 - Got a text early saying "Hood replaced and hatch adjusted, doors inspected by the Sr Manager of body engineering who said they passed and were within spec." Got up, ate, and looked out the window to find the car back in my driveway.
    • Hatch was aligned better but the rear bumper was scuffed and scratched in several areas.
    • Hood appeared to have been replaced but was contacting the fender on one side and a headlight had a deep cut/scratch.
    • Passenger mirror outside trim was broken and hanging off.
    • Front doors still sticking out in the middles even though they were flush top/bottom and aligned up/down.
    • Told I could not gain access to car until I accepted delivery. Which I reluctantly did.
    • Headliner was stained, scratched, and had glue residue in several areas.
    • White dash trim had some kind of smudge that I was unable to get off.
    • Several trim panels were not assembled correctly or broken.
    • Car was filthy.
    • One rear seat back was (not a little...) MUCH higher than the others.
    • Immediately called the factory contact, explained what I found, took pics, and explained I wanted the refuse and be matched to a new car. She indicated that there were no other cars in that config but that she would have a manager assigned to the case and "I will have a car for you no later than tomorrow morning."
  • 9/28 - Got a text in the evening saying "Car is almost ready I’m making them ensure perfection."
  • 9/29 - No communication but followed the car in the app as it was in a tent, and then another building at the factory all day.
  • 9/30 - Requested an update - no reply yet. I'm now at the 5th day of the 7-day return window and no car.
This is why we "complainers" post here. We're hoping somebody may have been through the same thing and perhaps have some advice, words of wisdom, etc.

By the way, I'm a Tesla fan, this is my second new purchase in 6 months, I'm not expecting a perfect car nor am I OCD with this kind of stuff, and getting a new car is supposed to be a fun, exciting experience. I've been anxious and stressed for 5 days.

How is THIS acceptable to Tesla's "Sr Manager of Body Engineering"?

IMG_1312.jpeg IMG_1311.jpeg IMG_1319.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: alexcue
People may not have joined the forum but certainly browse it for information... then feel compelled to join and share their experience. Here's mine:
  • 9/25 - Ordered MY LR-AWD/White/White/Tow and completed all paperwork online including financing and insurance.
  • 9/26 - Get a text that my car was ready for deliver to my home once I sign/pay. No option to pickup at the factory. Car arrived in my driveway 30 minutes later and I was shocked at the condition.
    • Rear hatch on drivers side was ABOVE the roof panel. My 11 year old saw it as they pulled in before I did.
    • Both front doors were not merely misaligned, but misshapen. They bowed out to the point where they cast shadows on the rear doors.
    • The delivery fellow - a Tesla software engineer - was mortified saying it was his 12th and final delivery of the day.
    • Didn't even bother inspecting the inside because I could see from the window the headliner was scraped and stained.
    • Told him politely I refused to click "accept delivery" button and he called the factory who asked him to drive it back. Contact at the factory called that night and asked to list everything wrong and they'd deliver "an absolutely perfect car" the next morning.
  • 9/27 - Got a text early saying "Hood replaced and hatch adjusted, doors inspected by the Sr Manager of body engineering who said they passed and were within spec." Got up, ate, and looked out the window to find the car back in my driveway.
    • Hatch was aligned better but the rear bumper was scuffed and scratched in several areas.
    • Hood appeared to have been replaced but was contacting the fender on one side and a headlight had a deep cut/scratch.
    • Front doors still sticking out in the middles even though they were flush top/bottom and aligned up/down.
    • Told I could not gain access to car until I accepted delivery. Which I reluctantly did.
    • Car was filthy.
    • Immediately called the factory contact, explained what I found, took pics, and explained I wanted the refuse and be matched to a new car. She indicated that there were no other cars in that config but that she would have a manager assigned to the case and "I will have a car for you no later than tomorrow morning."
  • 9/28 - Got a text in the evening saying "Car is almost ready I’m making them ensure perfection."
  • 9/29 - No communication but followed the car in the app as it was in a tent, and then another building at the factory all day.
  • 9/30 - Requested an update - no reply yet. I'm now at the 5th day of the 7-day return window and no car.
This is why we "complainers" post here. We're hoping somebody may have been through the same thing and perhaps have some advice, words of wisdom, etc.

By the way, I'm a Tesla fan, this is my second new purchase in 6 months, I'm not expecting a perfect car nor am I OCD with this kind of stuff, and getting a new car is supposed to be a fun, exciting experience. I've been anxious and stressed for 5 days. How would you feel if this happened to you?

View attachment 593780 View attachment 593783 View attachment 593787
Seriously? Did anyone ever say OP or yourself or anyone else didn't have issues on delivery? No one here is making excuses for Tesla, certainly not me, so read the entire thread before you vent your indignation on me, it's misdirected...

People here invested all their life savings to buy Tesla and every comment here is to defend their purchase.
For them no other cars exists, all delivery problems are non existent and Elon is only GOD.
But posts like this helped others to be careful with their purchase and prevented many problems for new owners in future.
I follow audi and acura forums since i own those cars and never had sensation that someone trying to defend their purchase or company in general

Reactions: imola.zhp
People here invested all their life savings to buy Tesla and every comment here is to defend their purchase.
For them no other cars exists, all delivery problems are non existent and Elon is only GOD.
But posts like this helped others to be careful with their purchase and prevented many problems for new owners in future.
I follow audi and acura forums since i own those cars and never had sensation that someone trying to defend their purchase or company in general
Wow, you have amazing insights. Guess you didn't bother to read the whole thread either - try it before you put your smug pants on next time....

• Funny
Reactions: DanDi58
Seriously? Did anyone ever say OP or yourself or anyone else didn't have issues on delivery? No one here is making excuses for Tesla, certainly not me, so read the entire thread before you vent your indignation on me, it's misdirected...

I think you're taking this personally... that wasn't my intention. And to be clear, I'm not venting my indignation on you. You commented "why do people feel the need to join TMC just so they can post issues with quality on delivery?"

I'll repeat, people peruse forums for years without joining them. They're great sources of information. Tesla's communication with their customers needs a lot of improvement. When you can't get answers from Tesla, and you have a problem, that's motivation enough to sign up and post here in the hopes you'll find the answer or at least get support/suggestions from fellow owners.

My brand new car is sitting in a parking lot at the factory, they have my money, no word on what's going on, can't get in touch with anyone, yet I just got an email saying there was a technical issue with my loan signing and have to sign again right away.

I'm sorry how upsetting it is to read about Tesla buyers receiving cars in unacceptable condition. It SHOULD upset you. But you should direct your frustration at Tesla asking "hey, my car is great but you have to get your act together because this is unacceptable." vs directing it at the buyers.

I thought there is a lot of things a new person can't do... one of those is include pics on first number of posts. But I have been wrong before, so what do i know.
Yes, you have to be 'active' for a bit before you get access to the post ratings, upload a pic to your profile or upload attachments to a post.

I'd be down for 'Rejected Delivery' and 'Perfect Delivery' sticky threads.

Reactions: jmatero
I think you're taking this personally... that wasn't my intention. And to be clear, I'm not venting my indignation on you. You commented "why do people feel the need to join TMC just so they can post issues with quality on delivery?"

I'll repeat, people peruse forums for years without joining them. They're great sources of information. Tesla's communication with their customers needs a lot of improvement. When you can't get answers from Tesla, and you have a problem, that's motivation enough to sign up and post here in the hopes you'll find the answer or at least get support/suggestions from fellow owners.

My brand new car is sitting in a parking lot at the factory, they have my money, no word on what's going on, can't get in touch with anyone, yet I just got an email saying there was a technical issue with my loan signing and have to sign again right away.

I'm sorry how upsetting it is to read about Tesla buyers receiving cars in unacceptable condition. It SHOULD upset you. But you should direct your frustration at Tesla asking "hey, my car is great but you have to get your act together because this is unacceptable." vs directing it at the buyers.
(Heavy sigh here...) First, the only thing I’m “upset” about is yet another person starting another thread to say I didn’t like the panel gaps and the door was hard to close, then post no pics. Many times I’ve seen people come here, vent, and never be heard from again - sharing is one thing, dumping is another. Obviously you’re close to the issue with all the problems you’ve extensively detailed, but that doesn’t make this thread about you either. Regardless, good luck with your car, I’m sure it’s very frustrating.

Just came back from the dealer. To start, it's a bit crazy right now. Tons of cars, Tons of people. Couldn't even find a parking spot for my wife's car. They had the car ready to show, but there were issues with door alignment, frunk alignment and back alignment. The biggest issue was the front passenger side door didn't close unless you slammed it.

I was given the option of taking the car, noting all of the issues and scheduling maintenance in two weeks, or rejecting and going back into the pool for a car. Interesting note, I was told that they measure alignment and if they are within 2mm they are within spec.

I really wanted to take the car, but the worst decisions I have made are the ones where I convince myself to do something and ignore the issues before me.

I told them to fix the issues and I would take the car, but I would be rejecting it the way it was. Now I have a bunch of cash in my bank account. As I once said to a vendor "I have money. I would like to give you my money. make it easy for me to give you my money"

Sorry I don't have pictures, it was raining and not great for looking at the car, or taking pictures.

I took delivery last Friday and I found the exact same issues you did. I took detailed pictures and sent to Service Center prior to accepting. To me the most annoying thing is the noise those gemini hubcaps make haha.

I took delivery last Friday and I found the exact same issues you did. I took detailed pictures and sent to Service Center prior to accepting. To me the most annoying thing is the noise those gemini hubcaps make haha.

That wasn't an option they gave me. I was told that the service center was booked for 2 weeks. So my options were to take the car as is, document the issues, and schedule service in 2 weeks, or reject the car.

That wasn't an option they gave me. I was told that the service center was booked for 2 weeks. So my options were to take the car as is, document the issues, and schedule service in 2 weeks, or reject the car.

If you reject the car it will be in another person's driveway in an hour, and if you accept it with a service appointment past the 7-day return window, you'll have to determine whether you're ok with whatever the outcome is in 2 weeks at the service appointment.

From a Quarterly sales standpoint, it's a win/win either way.

• Car was filthy.

By the way, I'm a Tesla fan, this is my second new purchase in 6 months, I'm not expecting a perfect car nor am I OCD with this kind of stuff, and getting a new car is supposed to be a fun, exciting experience. I've been anxious and stressed for 5 days.

View attachment 593780 View attachment 593783 View attachment 593787

dang. That is one of the worst examples of panel gap/misalignment I’ve seen.

I do find these threads helpful. While I don’t appreciate many of the defects people highlight in pictures, a few noteworthy examples (like the above) stand out. Helps inform me as a buyer.

Just came back from the dealer. To start, it's a bit crazy right now. Tons of cars, Tons of people. Couldn't even find a parking spot for my wife's car. They had the car ready to show, but there were issues with door alignment, frunk alignment and back alignment. The biggest issue was the front passenger side door didn't close unless you slammed it.

I was given the option of taking the car, noting all of the issues and scheduling maintenance in two weeks, or rejecting and going back into the pool for a car. Interesting note, I was told that they measure alignment and if they are within 2mm they are within spec.

I really wanted to take the car, but the worst decisions I have made are the ones where I convince myself to do something and ignore the issues before me.

I told them to fix the issues and I would take the car, but I would be rejecting it the way it was. Now I have a bunch of cash in my bank account. As I once said to a vendor "I have money. I would like to give you my money. make it easy for me to give you my money"

Sorry I don't have pictures, it was raining and not great for looking at the car, or taking pictures.
I took a Model Y in June 2020 on the last day of the quarter. I won't take an "end of the quarter" car anymore. They convinced me to take it and make a service request. I wound up having to make travel 2 round trips from Birmingham to Nashville to get the worst of the misalignments fixed. They refused to do anything about the "splotchy paint job". The Mobile Ranger that came out on an issue said they should take that car back and either give me a refund or another new car. I'm still driving it with a bad feeling toward Tesla's sales people at the end of a quarter.