Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected Y's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What makes you think they fix them?

What makes you think they wouldn't fix them? It's not like they're totalled and I believe they can still sell them as a "new" car. It's mostly body panel alignments/paint (at least on ours). I don't see why they would fix them and put them back out into the wild for purchase, seems like a waste not to do that.

I strongly suspect that we on this forum overestimate the number of rejected cars -- the people who are going to look for reasons to reject a delivery are the ones who would be active on this forum and have a much louder voice. I'm not saying the issues we discuss aren't real (see my A/C not working and car being in service for now two weeks and counting, or my hatch not closing properly previously), I'm just saying I suspect that the vast majority of consumers are uninformed about any prior to taking delivery, and aren't going over their panel gaps with a measurement tool before signing the paperwork. There are some that are, and there are certainly some that notice after the fact, but I think the number of rejected deliveries likely remains very low in comparison to the total number of cars being delivered, so it's pretty unlikely you're going to encounter this at a service center or find one before it is reassigned. Just my thoughts.

BTW, don't take this as a criticism of anyone who does reject a car -- nobody should drop 50-70K on anything that they aren't happy with, I just think most people probably don't care about the issues that lead to rejection (or, often, don't know to look for them).

What makes you think they wouldn't fix them? It's not like they're totalled and I believe they can still sell them as a "new" car. It's mostly body panel alignments/paint (at least on ours). I don't see why they would fix them and put them back out into the wild for purchase, seems like a waste not to do that.
Besides the fact they already tried once in efforts to cut costs? What makes you think they’d suddenly do a 180? It’s not like most of these issues weren’t known until the car was rejected.

With an overloaded service and parts department, to try and find an unsuspecting buyer is cheaper. Most are still accustom to the better build quality of legacy manufacturers and will notice QA after accepting.

I had a laundry list of things wrong with the car we rejected, but when I relayed the dent and paint issues to the manager (our sales person was off that day) and she acted like she couldn't see them I had no reason to share the other issues.

Hope whoever ends up with 25225 has bad vision.

Because they can’t seem to fix them 1.) from the factory or 2.) at follow up service appointments.

I suspect they just toss them back in the VIN matching queue for a less particular buyer.

Expending resources where not necessary (and in some cases where actually necessary) is not currently part of the mission.

Reactions: imola.zhp
Besides the fact they already tried once in efforts to cut costs? What makes you think they’d suddenly do a 180? It’s not like most of these issues weren’t known until the car was rejected.

With an overloaded service and parts department, to try and find an unsuspecting buyer is cheaper. Most are still accustom to the better build quality of legacy manufacturers and will notice QA after accepting.

Because they can’t seem to fix them 1.) from the factory or 2.) at follow up service appointments.

I suspect they just toss them back in the VIN matching queue for a less particular buyer.

Expending resources where not necessary (and in some cases where actually necessary) is not currently part of the mission.

As mentioned above, I think you’re over assuming the amount of rejected or messed up vehicles. Just like reviews of restaurants, you’re going to hear negative reviews than positive. It pays well in click bait headlines to give Tesla bad press.

Tesla seems to want the delivered number to be as high as possible so yes, see if the customer will just accept it. But once the car has been delivered to there service center and rejected there’s no reason to not put it in line for adjustments or paint correction.

My local Tesla service center (Las Vegas) has a huge service area and a brand new body shop building down the road. I’d be very surprised if they don’t tweak the cars and at the same time try to match that vehicle to a new owner in the area. This is a large company constantly hiring people and expanding.

I can tell you that my local owners FB group is in constant contact with the managers of both the sales and service side and responses are quick.

But maybe they just find a new buyer like @glide said but I’d bet one Internet that attempt to fix the defects/adjustments in the mean time. I do know for a fact that these issues are reported back to the factory line, now if they change their ways or just shift-delete the email I don’t know. It all costs Tesla money so it behooves them to fix it eventually.

Reactions: Dcd7041
As mentioned above, I think you’re over assuming the amount of rejected or messed up vehicles. Just like reviews of restaurants, you’re going to hear negative reviews than positive. It pays well in click bait headlines to give Tesla bad press.

Tesla seems to want the delivered number to be as high as possible so yes, see if the customer will just accept it. But once the car has been delivered to there service center and rejected there’s no reason to not put it in line for adjustments or paint correction.

My local Tesla service center (Las Vegas) has a huge service area and a brand new body shop building down the road. I’d be very surprised if they don’t tweak the cars and at the same time try to match that vehicle to a new owner in the area. This is a large company constantly hiring people and expanding.

I can tell you that my local owners FB group is in constant contact with the managers of both the sales and service side and responses are quick.

But maybe they just find a new buyer like @glide said but I’d bet one Internet that attempt to fix the defects/adjustments in the mean time. I do know for a fact that these issues are reported back to the factory line, now if they change their ways or just shift-delete the email I don’t know. It all costs Tesla money so it behooves them to fix it eventually.
If the reject numbers were that low, Tesla would be touting it. Just like they do when sales figures are great.

But they aren’t. And service centers are swamped with post-delivery remediations. We know this because an internal memo was leaked that it had to stop because it was a drag on resources.

So I think it’s safe to assume the reject rate, just like the defect rate per vehicle, is high.

If the reject numbers were that low, Tesla would be touting it. Just like they do when sales figures are great.

But they aren’t. And service centers are swamped with post-delivery remediations. We know this because an internal memo was leaked that it had to stop because it was a drag on resources.

So I think it’s safe to assume the reject rate, just like the defect rate per vehicle, is high.
I don’t think the “reject rate” is anything I’ve seen any manufacturer ever rate, at least outside of perhaps an internal stat, so the fact they don’t “tout it” really means nothing. Sales figures sure - people voting with their wallet will always be key. If having the best JD Power score helps get them more sales fine, but the actions (not words) of the voting public are paramount.

Reactions: Matsayz