TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Relentless. Does your dash also creak?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by selfbp, Jul 3, 2018.

1. selfbp

selfbp Member

Constantly. Constant and consistent creaking comes from the far right of the top dash leather. It’s like every little vibration of the road makes the noise “click” “tick” over and over. If I ask a passenger to put some pressure on the dash pad where it meets the pillar, it seems to go away until they let go.

Has ANYONE solved this sort of issue. I’ll try anything. I am OCD and I absolutely cannot stand it anymore. It’s been a full year now and it’s not changed one bit :mad:

2. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

you have warranty, why not just ask your SC to sort it for you, preferable to a year of stress

3. selfbp

selfbp Member

6 hour drive

4. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Our 2015 S with 45k miles does not do this. Neither did our 2012 with 88k. So, sorry, haven't had to solve it.

5. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Silicone spray may help a bit ... some dealers use it on squeaks.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

2013, almost 110K miles, no creaking ever.

7. outie

outie Active Member

#7 outie, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Same here on my 2018 Model X. The click/small popping noise is constant like you said, usually when slowing down, coming to a stop, accel/regen braking, and on uneven roads. It wasn’t like this when I first got the car. It first started around the glovebox area and moved to central dash and it’s creeping over to driver side including the door now.

My noise was all over the place in the dash area which is different than yours. If you know where it is located try some Velcro tape (without peeling the adhesive) and stick it between the dash/pillar gap. I tried on mine it didn’t help at all.

I just took my car in on Monday and had the tech rode with me. He could easily hear the noises since it was constantly replicable. He said these flexing noises are quite normal but they will try to minimize them and not get rid of them. That I understand but mine is constant even just from slowing down on flat surface.

I had a 2016 Model x and it was no near as bad as this one. Every time I drive this car I constantly hit the door and dashboard to see if it helps but no. I am not very OCD but this is going to start on me.

• Informative x 1
  8. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

Ah - bad luck. Understand how annoying rattles can be. Most carsI have owned MB/AMG etc have had rattles somewhere, My last 85D had none whatsoever, my P100D has two, which like you I must get around to sorting but the only sound off on a couple of particular roads so I never get streesed enough to deal with them.

Silicone (I prefer dry PTFE) from an aerosol can with a small tube might be an option.
    Bit of felt or adhesive backed velour is another option (commonly service departments use exactly this).

I don't know if it is possible but maybe you could try and asking the SC if a Ranger can visit to sort it, perhaps tagged onto another visit?

Good luck.

9. SDRick

SDRick Member

My dash had a slight rattle on the passenger side when the car heated up in the sun. It was right at the transition where the dash curves just past the screen. (Pushing down on the dash eliminated the problem but my passengers got tired of that).

I took a couple of thin credit cards to wedge in between the top of the dash. Just wedging the corner of the credit card in the dash was enough eliminate the noise and identify exactly where the noise came from. Once the location was identified, I replaced the credit cards with 2 small pieces of adhesive backed felt inserted underneath the top of the dash. No more problem!

10. selfbp

selfbp Member

11. selfbp

selfbp Member

I see everyone is recommending the Velcro! I might be in luck as I’ve had an Idle piece laying around for quite some time waiting to be my savior. I’ll test it out tomorrow and maybe the wedging between panels trick will work!

12. SDRick

SDRick Member

selfbp,
    Any success?