Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Relentless. Does your dash also creak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Constantly. Constant and consistent creaking comes from the far right of the top dash leather. It’s like every little vibration of the road makes the noise “click” “tick” over and over. If I ask a passenger to put some pressure on the dash pad where it meets the pillar, it seems to go away until they let go.

Has ANYONE solved this sort of issue. I’ll try anything. I am OCD and I absolutely cannot stand it anymore. It’s been a full year now and it’s not changed one bit :mad:

Same here on my 2018 Model X. The click/small popping noise is constant like you said, usually when slowing down, coming to a stop, accel/regen braking, and on uneven roads. It wasn’t like this when I first got the car. It first started around the glovebox area and moved to central dash and it’s creeping over to driver side including the door now.

My noise was all over the place in the dash area which is different than yours. If you know where it is located try some Velcro tape (without peeling the adhesive) and stick it between the dash/pillar gap. I tried on mine it didn’t help at all.

I just took my car in on Monday and had the tech rode with me. He could easily hear the noises since it was constantly replicable. He said these flexing noises are quite normal but they will try to minimize them and not get rid of them. That I understand but mine is constant even just from slowing down on flat surface.

I had a 2016 Model x and it was no near as bad as this one. Every time I drive this car I constantly hit the door and dashboard to see if it helps but no. I am not very OCD but this is going to start on me.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cdf3 and selfbp
6 hour drive

Ah - bad luck. Understand how annoying rattles can be. Most carsI have owned MB/AMG etc have had rattles somewhere, My last 85D had none whatsoever, my P100D has two, which like you I must get around to sorting but the only sound off on a couple of particular roads so I never get streesed enough to deal with them.

Silicone (I prefer dry PTFE) from an aerosol can with a small tube might be an option.
Bit of felt or adhesive backed velour is another option (commonly service departments use exactly this).

I don't know if it is possible but maybe you could try and asking the SC if a Ranger can visit to sort it, perhaps tagged onto another visit?

Good luck.

My dash had a slight rattle on the passenger side when the car heated up in the sun. It was right at the transition where the dash curves just past the screen. (Pushing down on the dash eliminated the problem but my passengers got tired of that).

I took a couple of thin credit cards to wedge in between the top of the dash. Just wedging the corner of the credit card in the dash was enough eliminate the noise and identify exactly where the noise came from. Once the location was identified, I replaced the credit cards with 2 small pieces of adhesive backed felt inserted underneath the top of the dash. No more problem!

I see everyone is recommending the Velcro! I might be in luck as I’ve had an Idle piece laying around for quite some time waiting to be my savior. I’ll test it out tomorrow and maybe the wedging between panels trick will work!

Constantly. Constant and consistent creaking comes from the far right of the top dash leather. It’s like every little vibration of the road makes the noise “click” “tick” over and over. If I ask a passenger to put some pressure on the dash pad where it meets the pillar, it seems to go away until they let go.

Has ANYONE solved this sort of issue. I’ll try anything. I am OCD and I absolutely cannot stand it anymore. It’s been a full year now and it’s not changed one bit :mad:

I have an 18 MX, same exact sound, clicking, creaking when slowing or accelerating. Driving us crazy.

Reactions: cdf3
I had an annoying creak coming from the dash which the service center folks were unable to locate. It's always hard to pinpoint these creaks because you have to be driving to experience them, and sometimes the interior temperature can be a factor, but I kept pressing on various points until I figured out it where it was coming from.

In my case, it was the narrow plastic trim piece between the upper-left corner of the center screen and the vent, rubbing at the point where it came in contact with the underside of the dash. If I might borrow @SDRick 's car for one second to demonstrate:

squeak.jpg

Pressing on the plastic at this location made the squeak stop. To fix it, I used a scrap of thin charcoal-grey foam rubber packing material. With the help of some toothpicks (to avoid scratching), I poked and wedged it up under the dash between the two parts that were rubbing together. No more squeak.

Every goddam thing creaks in mine if you touch it the wrong way. The dash does creak a little but it is rare when driving over bumps.
My headliner, however, is a different story.

I am on my 6th visit would've been more if I had the time and service center availability. I'm considering the lemon policy.

I had a creaking/rattling sound in my dash that was solved with a dash cover replacement a couple of years ago. I had one of the original dash cover versions and by the time the SC looked into it they didn't have that original version anymore so they swapped in the newer one that's less textured (all smooth). It doesn't match the rest of the interior like the upper areas of the door panels, etc. but I consider it a Frankenstein upgrade.

Does anyone have a comprehensive guide on how to take apart various interior trim pieces in order to fix these odd noise issues? I'm thinking of getting some of this closed cell foam (Products | Sound Deadener Showdown) to see if it helps to make the interior feel rock solid.

Reactions: Chadkn1ght