Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

REMINDER: Leave a gap on V2 superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CMc1

supercharge.info editor
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2019
North, UK
Amazing how many don’t know about this... Reminding people/making people aware every other week, when there are plenty other unused stalls.

Parking next to another Tesla whilst charging on V2 will share the speed. You might be happy with that, but the car next door may not and might be in a rush.

Not a problem if the site is busy, but when empty, please try and avoid.

V3 (250kW) removes the limitation

You’re looking for being not on 4A when 4B is use, for example.
Sometimes, just to create more confusion, the shared stall, might not be located directly next to it.

Always look at the numbers.

Happy supercharging!

Sat at Tebay last week and my car was the only one at the superchargers. Went off to the farm shop and when I got back another Tesla has turned up. He had connected to the supercharger right next to me which was paired with mine even though every other stall was free. I spoke to him about it and he was totally unaware of the sharing issue. Out of interest I asked him what his charge rate was and he had no clue and didn’t know where to find it despite it being wrote large on a huge screen in his car!

Parking next to another Tesla whilst charging on V2 will share the speed. You might be happy with that, but the car next door may not and might be in a rush.

Its prioritised first come first serve as I can see and have experienced. So you rocking up to a shared stall wont reduce the charge of the other car. It will still get its original charge rate, you will get the left overs. However yours may ramp up as theirs naturally ramps down as more capacity available.

The one to watch is being second on a stall, and planning your wait based upon a longer initial charge estimate. The moment the first car departs, your charge rate will suddenly ramp up (as you then become the priority), so what you originally thought was going to be a 45n minute charge, suddenly turns into 20 minutes and that leisurely break suddenly turns into a rush as you have to return early to avoid idling charges.

Its prioritised first come first serve as I can see and have experienced. So you rocking up to a shared stall wont reduce the charge of the other car. It will still get its original charge rate, you will get the left overs. However yours may ramp up as theirs naturally ramps down as more capacity available.

The one to watch is being second on a stall, and planning your wait based upon a longer initial charge estimate. The moment the first car departs, your charge rate will suddenly ramp up (as you then become the priority), so what you originally thought was going to be a 45n minute charge, suddenly turns into 20 minutes and that leisurely break suddenly turns into a rush as you have to return early to avoid idling charges.
I have to disagree. I was at Northampton last week getting around 115kW and a S turned up and as soon as he plugged in, it instantly reduced to 80kW.

238BD000-7493-487D-8951-3DA94052B2E9.jpeg

Last edited:
Someone did this to me in Kansas. A young woman in a Model 3.... I was eating lunch in a nearby restaurant when my app notified me that something had triggered my alarm. Having to leave I walked to the car to find her charging right next to me with her stuff out of her car and some of it sitting on my MS! All other stalls empty!

Without looking at me she just moved the stuff from my car, but stayed where she was. I was near the end of my charge so I did not move, but went back to finish my lunch. Same thing happened again!!! When I got back to the charger for the second time nothing was on the car but the alarm had gone off and she still had all her stuff out and right around my car. By the time I finished lunch she was gone. All in all she set my alarm off three times over her 30 minute charge time.

And yes, sharing adjacent V2 charging stalls reduces power to both vehicles, usually the second to arrive gets the lighter charge. My MS charges at 150KW in optimal conditions but I quite often notice that if there is another MS charging at ANY stall it can be difficult to get above 120KW

Amazing how many don’t know about this... Reminding people/making people aware every other week, when there are plenty other unused stalls.

Sometimes, just to create more confusion, the shared stall, might not be located directly next to it.

Happy supercharging!

Yes this information is good not just for others but also your own charging so that you can get the fastest charge rate, I would encourage to educate others that they will get a better charge rate charging on a separate pair rather than tell them they are lowering my own rate.

My experience is that the car uses the left over rate difference from the other car charging but usually a minimum of 24kw so some may notice a decrease if they were charging at the full rate and another car showed up.

Happy supercharging!

It would be nice if they used some sort of consistency in where they put the two pedestals on a pair. I've seen no small number of sites where they paired units were not next to each other and in fact could only be found by hunting. It's not unusual for cars charging to block the view of the numbers, so not always a person's fault if they get the wrong one.

Maybe Tesla isn't repeating this mistake with the v2 chargers.

They also need to NEVER put the pedestals at the driveway end of the parking spots. I often use a charging station like this in a parking deck where the aisles are a bit narrow and it is a be-atch to get in and out. Always put the charging pedestals so you back into a space. Putting them by the driving lane means they take away from the space to get into the parking spot.

Reactions: jsmay311
I have to disagree. I was at Northampton last week getting around 115kW and a S turned up and as soon as he plugged in, it instantly reduced to 80kW.

View attachment 475304

This is Fleet. The sudden upturn is when the first (priority) car disappeared (certainly no fairness in this load sharing) but you will notice no associated dropoff other than natural reduced rate over time when it was replaced with another car.

dayCharges.png

• Informative
Reactions: cezdoc and glide

Happy supercharging!

So, this isn't necessarily true. Not all paired chargers are next to each other. Some are ordered 1A, 2A, 3A....1B, 2B, 3B....

And the first car has nothing to worry about. You don't lose power, the other car just doesn't get it.

And at a shopping center or restaurant, there may be an advantage to parking in an accompany pedestal, you expect it to take longer. So if having dinner are something that takes an hour or so, you may not have to move the car to prevent idle charges.

• Disagree
Reactions: CMc1
Not all paired chargers are next to each other.

I've never seen that in the UK

I have seen "one around the corner" but even those are not "weird numbering"; all the main stalls at the site in the UK that I have stopped at are 1A, 1B. ...

And the first car has nothing to worry about.

Not true. People have posted TesalFi graphs here showing first-to-arrive and then having their charge slashed when second car arrived. Dunno if that is a side effect of the recent boost to 150kW ...

Reactions: CMc1
Parking next to another Tesla whilst charging on V2 will share the speed.”

Specifically the problem is sharing an A/B pedestal will mean you are sharing a 150 kWh power supply.

Normally the pedestals are arranged 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, etc. In that layout, if a car is on (say) 3A, avoid 3B.

However. occasionally the pedestals are arranged 1A, 2A, 3A, etc and 1B, 2B, 3B, etc. Its rare, but always be on the watch for that setup.

Note: This doesn't affect Urban Superchargers.

I was only car at Woodall. Pop in for coffee. Come back and model X next to me, with all other bays free, driver no where to be seen.

added ~10mins to my usual charge time charge time. Obviously would have affected his charge rate too.

Please mind the gap.

I think someone has said this before - to apply the same etiquette for Superchargers as urinals - i.e. be as far away from others as possible and if you have to go next to someone then go next to someone who’s been there a while. As with urinals going next to someone when there is space should equally be considered as weird.

It’s not quite as simple as this due to the pairing - but a good starting point.

I think someone has said this before - to apply the same etiquette for Superchargers as urinals - i.e. be as far away from others as possible and if you have to go next to someone then go next to someone who’s been there a while. As with urinals going next to someone when there is space should equally be considered as weird.

It’s not quite as simple as this due to the pairing - but a good starting point.

Tricky Situations

xwww-brocode-org_13501620612.png.pagespeed.ic.BtzXmEHUXC.png

All empty, as mentioned above you consider those who may enter after you, so you go for urinal 1 or 6.

xwww-brocode-org_1350162061.png.pagespeed.ic.4T05JyPVkv.png

Here you have 2 inconsiderate assholes taking 2 middle urinals, leaving you the only option of urinal 6.

xwww-brocode-org_13501620611.png.pagespeed.ic.Z76-6z6ti8.png

Here you have a considerate Bro, ideally you want urinal 6, but urinal 5 is acceptable with good reason, like the urinal being next to the main door, or next to the sinks manned by an overly observational toilet attendant.

xwww-brocode-org_1350162062.png.pagespeed.ic.jkPV9hSHNL.png

In this situation you have 3 guys nicely spaced out, urinal 2 is being inconsiderate, but you take urinal 1 and turn your back slightly to gain more privacy.

xwww-brocode-org_13501620621.png.pagespeed.ic.-Mk8pcs7_9.png

Some of you may look at this one and think "surely it's urinal 1", but you are mistaken. Urinal 1 and 3 couples you with the guy at urinal 2. You go for urinal 4 and stay with the pack.

xwww-brocode-org_13501620622.png.pagespeed.ic.L2OXAO5VFE.png

In this situation, you wait or use a cubicle. If you need a piss that badly, you'll just have to man up and take the pain.